z

Young Writers Society

Evangeline's Song DT

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Wed May 21, 2014 5:44 pm
crossroads says...

That, yes ^
Also, blame sickness for lack of profile >_> I feel like sleeping all day and plucking my eyes out to put them in a glass of water to cool them a bit >.<
Tonight. Evangeline maybe tomorrow, but the profile shall be here tonigh.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Wed May 21, 2014 5:54 pm
Auxiira says...

Okay! ^^ *goes to procrastinate on her profile by watching OUaT*
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

60 Reviews

Reviews: 60
Wed May 21, 2014 5:55 pm
queerelves says...

I feel your pain, Aria :/ I'm home sick and I've completely lost my voice (to the point that the only way I can talk is whispering)
This account proudly supports lgbt* rights.

117 Reviews

Wed May 21, 2014 7:03 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

...I think I managed to add everyone into the intro post without messing anything up. Do tell if I tagged you in a wrong ship or something xD

Auxii and Omni, do you have positions in mind?
- they/them -

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Wed May 21, 2014 7:13 pm
View Likes
birk says...

Crew aboard The Majestic

- Captain Arrow - @Birkhoff
- First mate - @Leahweird
- Second mate - vacant
- Ship's doctor - @kayfortnight
- Mercenary/badass crewmember - @Robusto
- Cabin Boy - @ShadowVyper
- Navigator - @megsug
- person with ability to hear Evangeline's music - @megsug
- person with ability to hear Evengeline's music - @Silverlock
- Crewmember - @Strange

I really want that second mate spot filled. And maybe another officer as well.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Wed May 21, 2014 7:16 pm
Auxiira says...

@AriaAdams, I can't see the page on ship positons so I'm not sure... I don't really know what positions there are on a ship
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

60 Reviews

Wed May 21, 2014 7:28 pm
queerelves says...

Here's the list of positions from the page. I can paste you the info on any of the ones you're interested in.

Spoiler! :
Captain
First Mate / Quartermaster
Boatswain / Bos'n / Bosun
Sailing Master / Sea Artist
Navigator
Master Carpenter
Pilot
Master Gunner
Gunner
Sail Maker
Cook
Surgeon
Cooper
Cabin Boy
Striker
Sailors
Powder Monkey
Musicians

117 Reviews

Wed May 21, 2014 7:42 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

To what Birkhoff said - I'm not sure if Silver's character is still able to hear it ^ Might've been only when s/he was a kid, but something changed in the meantime. S/he'd remember and know how it felt, and want to hear it again, though.
Or they can still be hearing it and telling no one of it. Both sounds lovely to me.

Thanks Elves, although I also have a list of my own (which I've been typing up in the meantime), and it defers slightly, so here. The *free* positions on Ev are the following:

- Second Mate - probably more like an apprentice to one of the other officers, but with enough respect and trust given to by the captain and the entire rest of the crew
- Navigator - person who reads the maps, follows stars and other navigation-related stuff (duh). The captain started his sailing days as a navigator too, so they could be closer friends if so the person playing them desires
- Master Carpenter - basically the person who fixes things after things break. Evangeline is tangible, and can be damaged, although it will just keep sailing in that condition if no one bothered to fix it
- Cook - true, they don't need to eat now, but they did have to eat back before they all died. Some of them might like food as a luxury, and the food's condition would be pretty much irrelevant to them as long as it looks nice, so this position could actually be quite amusing
- Surgeon - same as with the cook, their services wouldn't exactly be required anymore, which in itself can make for some nice character development
- Master Gunner - simply put, Evangeline has its weaponry and could use someone who knows how to use it masterfully
- Helmsman/Pilot - person who actually sails the ship. This one would also probably have some basic ideas/plans related to piloting an airship, and could have some engineering tendencies as well
- Prisoner(s) and lovers - yeah. Before they all died, they had taken over their share of ships, and might have a prisoner on the ship somewhere. By now, of course, this prisoner's position could've changed, and they could've became a member of the crew. Same goes for lovers - ladies or men picked up in some port some few centuries ago, or however you want their story to go.

Its crew would be together for quite a while, meaning they'd all probably know each other rather well and maybe have fun teaching each other stuff, so some of them could know stuff from outside of their field of expertise.

Also, a quick note which I'll also include in the ship's info - the sailors on Ev are *able* to leave the ship, but there will be a catch. When they leave, their bodies will start getting older - at first unnoticeably so, then more rapidly as time progresses - until they catch up with their age and reach the state they'd be in naturally (killing the person once and for all as they turn to nothing but bones or dust or whatever). If they return to Evangeline after this already started happening, they'll stay frozen in *that* form until they leave again.
The whole aging thing might take days, even weeks to become noticeable. It'd be rapid in compare to normal human aging, but not as quick to be obvious right away or to turn them into nothing in matter of hours.

Edit - the captain knows this ^ Maybe some others do to if the word went out, but C is kind of fond of keeping stuff to himself >.>

*also tags @Lumi because reasons*
- they/them -

60 Reviews

Wed May 21, 2014 9:12 pm
View Likes
queerelves says...

...I was looking up the average age of a cabin boy and found this.

Warning for cannibalism?

Spoiler! :
In the famous trial of Regina v. Dudley & Stephens (1884) 14 QBD 273 DC, three sailors and a cabin boy were shipwrecked and cast adrift in a small boat without provisions. To save themselves, the sailors killed and ate the cabin boy. They were later convicted of murder, despite their defense of necessity.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Wed May 21, 2014 9:15 pm
Shadowlight says...

Oh Lord...... that poor little boy.....

What ship are you going to be joining?
"D*** the torpedoes! Four bells! Full speed ahead!"~ Admiral David Farragut

117 Reviews

Wed May 21, 2014 9:24 pm
crossroads says...

xD Mine.
Good thing they don't feel the need to eat, I guess?
- they/them -

60 Reviews

Wed May 21, 2014 10:12 pm
queerelves says...

I finally finished and submitted my character!

117 Reviews

Wed May 21, 2014 10:41 pm
crossroads says...

*approves*
It's brilliant :D
- they/them -

60 Reviews

Wed May 21, 2014 10:56 pm
queerelves says...

Yay :D

60 Reviews

Thu May 22, 2014 12:03 am
queerelves says...

Where are all the ships going to be we start?

Writing is like love: the real thing is a lot less romantic
— dragonfphoenix