Young Writers Society

Divine Calling DT

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:04 pm
View Likes
WartyFingleBlaster says...

Wow, that describes Richard perfectly. xD
Not only is he a fiend but he is also a friend. (fail)
The best part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:22 pm
DarknecrosisX says...

Haha, me, namely. Anyway, I just posted a few words of wisdom from the Greybeard. Once all the sacrifices are made, we can move on to the vision I have planned. Ideally I'd like to see Cole and Aria throw in their items, then each of us take a turn in the visionary world.

Sounds exciting ;)
Laments of passion
Obstructed by fear.
Under guises of jovial chatter;
Incredulous hopes
Steadily feasting away-
Eating away at my heart.

10 Reviews

Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:14 am

This is going to be deep maaan.
The best part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.

10 Reviews

Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:20 am

Zyphlid should go next if I was to have an opinion. All eyes in the room would be on her so anyone else writing could hinder the story and make her writing that little bit more awkward. Just a suggestion.

And one more thing, she hasn't posted in a while, do you people think she's still getting notifications or not? Just asking so all of us keep up with each other...

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:29 am
Zyphlid says...

Aria?
Do you mean myself?

And can I say that there seems to be a little godmodding happening in this SB?
Giving an action to another character or telling the audience an emotion of another character, no matter how insignificant it might be, is still godmodding unless the player has referred to the emotion or action in their own post.

I'm sorry I am being picking about it and I did make the fault of doing it in my first post, but it is just something that bothers me as doing something similar in RPing usually gets you a warning.

And, yes, I am getting the notes. I was at the movie theatre and have just returned an hour prior. Responses are not going to be instant as I do have other things to attend to. My reply might not be for a while either as I have things to do before I can relax and focus on it.
“I write to give myself strength. I write to be the characters that I am not. I write to explore all the things I’m afraid of. ”―Joss Whedon

“If there’s a book that you want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.”―Toni Morrison

10 Reviews

Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:47 am

I'd say that it was used more for effect. You could dodge a particular emotion being put upon you by saying something like this for example:

"The Orc had an almost smug look on his face, almost to say we (or 'I' as the case may be) were stunned. I wasn't, I felt more abhorrence than I did surprise."

I can assure you I did that in a way to make my character seem more arrogant. It is relatively easy to navigate your way around if you use well polished English. It's good you mentioned that actually or otherwise I might have ruined your post. Sorry if i caused any kind disturbance. :?

And post whenever you're ready, we want the story to flow nicely and not crash and burn like many storybooks I've read in the past...

21 Reviews

Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:15 am
Zyphlid says...

Ah.
Well, I can understand where you are coming from I suppose.
But could you all please consult me before giving Aoniax any action or emotion?
He typically hides his emotions well, so most of the time he seems blank or indifferent to the event around him.

And I will post late tonight for sure.
I would not just abandon the SB like that as that would be terribly rude.
“I write to give myself strength. I write to be the characters that I am not. I write to explore all the things I’m afraid of. ”―Joss Whedon

“If there’s a book that you want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.”―Toni Morrison

10 Reviews

Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:44 am

Thanks for understanding, and I will do in the future. :)

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:12 am
View Likes
DarknecrosisX says...

I'm an idiot, I meant Zyphlid. So sorry XD

Yes, your item is last Zyphlid, we'll progress following that.

I noticed about how you mentioned forced reactions on other characters as a form of Godmodding, I'd like to make something clear. In first person, with someone who writes well, Godmodding of this kind is most often avoided, quite simply because of the actions done by other characters is merely what the owner of the observing character perceives them to be doing. Understand?

It's not that we're actually deciding what they are doing, it is our perceptions; in truth, they could be doing something different, like if someone said

'He stood up to, I expected, leave the room.'

You could make it so they could actually just gaze out the window or get more comfortable. Just hoped that clears things up a bit.
Laments of passion
Obstructed by fear.
Under guises of jovial chatter;
Incredulous hopes
Steadily feasting away-
Eating away at my heart.

10 Reviews

Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:41 pm

Just read through the whole thing again. Brilliant guys, awesome writing. :D

21 Reviews

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:47 pm
Zyphlid says...

Sorry about the lack of response.
Something came up last night as well as this morning and I couldn't get to it until now.
This usually doesn't happen when I RP, so I apologize for the erratic behavior.

And now I understand what you guys mean.
Still, it seems to me that it would be a lot easier to just not give another character actions/emotions and leave the other player to work them off.
But I guess that is what I have been use to, even with first-person POV (because I have been in RPs of both third and first person).

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:58 pm
crossroads says...

Zyphlid wrote:Still, it seems to me that it would be a lot easier to just not give another character actions/emotions and leave the other player to work them off.

But then the story would be kind of flat, and it would all come down to the same events described from multiple POVs, and that just wouldn't be interesting. It's way better when we think and observe each other's characters and write about how our own see them. Granted, nothing more than that should be done without the collaboration between the writers.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

21 Reviews

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:17 pm
Zyphlid says...

But then the story would be kind of flat, and it would all come down to the same events described from multiple POVs, and that just wouldn't be interesting.

Have you role played outside YWS? It is common knowledge and respect not to give characters actions/emotions whatsoever if they do not belong to you or if you do not consult the owner. You get warnings before getting the boot.

And on the contrary, it doesn't make it flat and, if you are a good writer and can bring upon new knowledge to add, does not make it similar.

It all boils down to the players around you, which is why you must thoroughly read everyone's post. You add on to what other players observe and create something better.

For example: if all I said was "the cave was cold and wet", you could come around and say: "the frigid atmosphere did not stop the stands of moss hanging from the walls nor did it keep the rats burrowing in the crevices available." You expanded on what I observed and ultimately made the story sound better.

I can tell you it is quite possible to keep a story from sounding "flat" if you do this. Relying on characters to do it hardly adds to the effect of a story and is considered godmodding, first person or not.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:42 pm
Alvarin says...

Have you read some other SBs here on YWS? If not then I suggest you do that. I don't consider it godmodding as long as you keep the other characters in character.

Feel free to use my character and interact with her (I love when other people use my characters), but check with me first if it's something major or you're not sure how my character would react.
“Are you looking for sympathy? You'll find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis”
― Thomas Harris

21 Reviews

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:53 pm
Zyphlid says...

Obviously this site does not understand godmodding or the people here have twisted it into something it is not.

It does not matter whether or not it is still in character, it is still godmodding.

If I have to link you to the RP I am participating in outside YWS to show how we do it without the use of other characters' emotions/actions, I will. It is so very simple and it keeps everyone happy, but logic here is obviously the opposite.

Never use your shield as a dinner plate, for that is when the enemy is most likely to attack.
— The KotGR Commander