Canary in a Coal Mine

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:24 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Whoa! That's really really impressive
Were the plays and such free at least?)

Bean watched Roxane with equal interest; this would be her romantic counterpart, after all. She was still taking notes. One of the girls behind her giggled.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:32 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

(For students, yep! Included in our tuition. But people from the town would have to pay to come I think like $30/45 and they were always super, super packed every time anyways for multiple viewings for many of the things. Some of the things were super painful xD like they did Aida the opera and spent like $2 million dollars on it (which I am salty about because some of the equipment in the science building was older than *I* am and it felt injust lol) and it was like 2.5 hours and they hired a professional opera singer and did a ton of acrobatics and such and it was in Italian and my adhd could not xD but that's the one they won awards for
But they did Cyrano my freshman year in 2013 and it was my favorite. They also did 'Taming of the Shrew' which I don't remember the plot of well -- judging from the title I suspect it's misogynistic and I suspect I won't like it now lol but I was conservative when I went there and I thought it was fantastic, it was my second favorite. But a ton of plays and concerts, some choirs and operas, it was legit)

Sadie smirked a bit and kept playing various speeches for the various characters. "Okay, so, that's our main cast. As you can see there is also need for the peanut gallery too to prompt these different monologues -- villagers and the like, some with more speaking parts, some without. Down in front I've got monologue print outs for the different speaking parts -- form an orderly line and grab whichever parts you think you may be interested in."

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:41 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Yowza! I wanna go to that school.
Taming of the Shrew is delightful. It is misogynistic but also it's more like the shrew tames the guy. She's a total badass)

Most of the students got up immediately; Bean was at the front of the line and snagged Cyrano's monologue immediately. Hunter was slow to follow.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:46 pm
Shady says...

(ahah you definitely don't it's an evangelical cult xD but the arts program was fantastic and a definite perk ^^ I think most of their productions are available on Youtube if you're ever interested. I've only bothered to re-watch Cyrano but it at least is recorded with really good quality and it was my freshman year so I expect the others were probably also recorded well but I can't guarantee that ^^
And oh nice! That's good to hear. I've been tempted to re-watch it but have been scared that I'll ruin it for myself so I have just been letting it live as a happy memory that I don't really remember lol maybe I'll rewatch it, too)

Sadie checked her watch. "Okay... looks like we've got about five minutes left so we won't get started on these today but take them home and get familiar, we'll pick up there tomorrow. Any questions?"

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:48 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Oh oops
I'm definitely gonna have to watch this, then!)

"What day and time are auditions?" Bean asked, raising her hand.

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:52 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"We'll do auditions during class time on Friday -- it'll spill over to Monday if we run out of time but at the very least we'll pick a Cyrano and Roxane on Friday, and aim to get through Montfluery and Christian, too. And then any other characters we have time for."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:54 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Yessss!" Bean bounced on the balls of her feet.
"What if we don't want to play Roxane with a girl Cyrano?" Emily Spears asked.

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:56 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Why would that be a problem?" Sadie challenged gently, looking at her evenly.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:59 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"It makes me uncomfortable, Miss Lovett. I don't like girls that way; I won't be able to play Roxane to my full potential."
Bean turned and made scathing eye contact with Emily, who crossed her arms.

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:03 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Sadie took a deep breath, trying to think of how to best diffuse the situation. "Well, luckily for us, this is a play where we pretend to be characters. You're not going to really fall in love with Cyrano no matter who plays him, right? It's all make-believe. And I encourage whoever wants to play whatever part to audition for said parts. I don't know what gender Cyrano will be at the moment. If you don't think you could play Roxane if Bean or one of the other girls gets the role then you're welcome to audition for a different position." Sadie offered a polite smile, though she was a little annoyed. "Maybe Montfleury?"

Then again, that could get nasty if it turned into a catfight between the girls rather than staying as scripted. Hmm. She'd need to be careful.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:05 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Maybe," Emily said with a falsely polite smile. "Sorry, Miss Lovett. I just wondered about the options me and the other girls had."

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:07 pm
Shady says...

"All good my dude," Sadie said, staying calm and metered. She expected there to be backlash. Emily's parents were definitely going to be calling tonight, huh? Ugh. "The girls have the same options as the boys. Heck, you can audition for Cyrano, too, if you like. Though that'd be the same issue in reverse if another girl gets Roxane, so... I dunno, think about it. You've got all the speaking parts there." Sadie gestured at the stacks of papers. "Make sure you looked at all the options you've got."

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:09 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Emily sat back with a nod, but it was clear she wasn't going to do that.
Bean wrinkled her nose and went back to drawing, scribbling spirals into the pages of her notebook.

she/her

935 Reviews

Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:10 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Alright, then, anything else?" Sadie looked around.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:12 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Midjourney cannot and will not render a satisfactory Nicholas)

The class was silent.

she/her

The most important service rendered by the press and the magazines is that of educating people to approach printed matter with distrust.
— Samuel Butler