z

Young Writers Society

From the Lands Turned to Soot

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Mon May 09, 2022 3:10 am
View Likes
ChieTheWriter says...

Rhys decided immediately that she didn't like the little loud one either. "There's your rations. Now if you'll excuse me." That wasn't a question. She turned to leave.
"Nobody has an easy time in this world. Either you climb out of the muck and become a human being, or you die." - Josh Randall, Wanted: Dead or Alive

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Mon May 09, 2022 3:16 am
Ljungtroll says...

"Er, your name?" Jackson prompted. "Sorry, it's just we don't meet many friendly types out here. It's all bandits and brigands."
"And monsters," Bug added. "Can't forget the monsters."
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

75 Reviews

Mon May 09, 2022 3:22 am
View Likes
ChieTheWriter says...

"Rhys." Who said anything about friendly? That irritated her. She'd prefer not to fall in with a lot of talkative, annoying tagalongs.
"Nobody has an easy time in this world. Either you climb out of the muck and become a human being, or you die." - Josh Randall, Wanted: Dead or Alive

112 Reviews

Mon May 09, 2022 3:25 am
Ljungtroll says...

"Nice to meet you. Rhys." Jackson saluted. "My name is Jackson. This is Roland, and that is Shingles." They pointed to Shingles, who was examining one of the corpses and plucking the buttons off their coat.
"Don't you dare introduce me," Bug said grimly. "My name is Armageddon."
"Bug," Jackson said to Rhys with an apologetic shrug.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

75 Reviews

Mon May 09, 2022 10:57 pm
View Likes
ChieTheWriter says...

"Very nice." She didn't smile. She kept looking at Roland, wondering if he knew anything useful about their enemies' movements. For that's what she'd been resolved to do these last few months, find a way to ruin them or die in the process. Wasn't much else left to live for on this barren hunk of nothing. Not since... she blinked, realizing she'd been staring.
"You say you escaped, how long were you a prisoner?" She asked, addressing Roland.

(is there any kind of alias Eimir would have among those who feared them? or is everyone just on a first name basis)

112 Reviews

Mon May 09, 2022 11:00 pm
Ljungtroll says...

(Eimir just goes by Eimir, or Phillip if he's undercover. His name alone is intimidating enough)

Roland shifted uncomfortably and adjusted his glasses again. "I...I'm afraid I don't really know. My memory is a bit foggy in that area. More than a year, I think. Maybe longer."
"His beard was all tangled and long when we found him," Bugbsaid scornfully. "We had to cut it for him."

she/her

75 Reviews

Mon May 09, 2022 11:10 pm
View Likes
ChieTheWriter says...

"So you don't know anything useful about your enemies? You found out nothing while in prison?" He was probable tortured sure, but he must have lasted that long for a reason, especially if he was the genius the others claimed him to be.

112 Reviews

Mon May 09, 2022 11:17 pm
Ljungtroll says...

"I...no. Not really. I assume I was imprisoned for my mechanical skills, but I'm afraid I really don't remember that either. I remember sitting alone in the dark for long periods of time, sometimes meals were brought to me." He rubbed at the raw skin around his wrists. "I'm sorry I can't be more help."

she/her

75 Reviews

Mon May 09, 2022 11:22 pm
View Likes
ChieTheWriter says...

She sighed, frustrated. There'd been no leads. Only fighting other war torn and ragged humans and starving animals, and hiding from the spirits. "Do any of you have any kind of knowledge about what you are up against?" She specifically avoided saying collective words like "we" or "our", despite knowing they had common enemies.

112 Reviews

Mon May 09, 2022 11:25 pm
Ljungtroll says...

"I know of the spirit Eimir and his lackeys," Roland said slowly.
"We have a map," Jackson announced eagerly, digging through their pack. "With the spirits all marked down for which domain they run."

she/her

75 Reviews

Mon May 09, 2022 11:28 pm
View Likes
ChieTheWriter says...

That would be useful. She took a step closer to them, but kept eyes in the back of her head for Shingles. It was a wonder he hadn't murdered his teammates, she thought. "If you tell me what you know, I may be able to get that one's shackles off."
Last edited by ChieTheWriter on Mon May 09, 2022 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

112 Reviews

Mon May 09, 2022 11:31 pm
Ljungtroll says...

"Really?" Jackson looked up. "How?" They produced the map and clutched it tightly in their hands.

she/her

75 Reviews

Mon May 09, 2022 11:33 pm
View Likes
ChieTheWriter says...

"It may take a while, but I have some tools. Let me see the map." She took another step closer.

112 Reviews

Mon May 09, 2022 11:40 pm
Ljungtroll says...

"Roland first. Then you can see the map." They held it close to their chest.

she/her

75 Reviews

Tue May 10, 2022 12:44 am
View Likes
ChieTheWriter says...

She sighed. "It will take a while. I've only got files and a saw or two." These tools were designed to cut metal, but doing it while the metal was attached to a person was significantly more difficult.

ah yes my boiling cheetohs
— tatteredbones