z

Young Writers Society

Crime™

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:19 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Derik ran a few steps past Kaz before it processed that he’d stopped. He turned back towards him, startled by the response. “Yeah, man, I’m fine. I had the time you were resting to also rest. It’s just... usually it doesn’t hit me this hard, you know? It takes a lot of energy, but usually it’s fine. But the Lumshade hit me hard and I haven’t eaten in a while and—“ Derik shrugged. “It’s fine. I don’t need excuses. It just... might need to jog sometimes instead of run the whole time is all. It’ll be fine.”

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:21 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Kazimir stared at him, trying to process what he was saying. He getured with his arms at his sides.

“Do you want... like...” he trailed off, thinking of a way to make this easier for Derik. “I could carry you? Or...”
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

935 Reviews

Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:24 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Hah!” Derik grinned at him. “Nah, dude, I’m fine. Thanks though. Come on.”

He *did* appreciate the thought. But Kaz really was making a bigger deal of this than was necessary. And he wasn’t sure how to come off the awkward. So he just started jogging instead.

[they/he]

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:57 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Kazimir jogged after Derik, and even though Kazimir was the one leading, he let Derik set the pace. They eventually fell into a fast walk, which seemed to be more sustainable for both of them.

It took them the rest of the day to make the walk there. Hours of walking on foot after a foodless and taxing day make Kazimir's stomach growl and rumble. The forest wasn't too difficult to trek through, but the way to the harpy's settlement had a steep incline as they started to get close. It would be taxing for anyone, and Kazimir was at least starting to feel it.

It was getting close to sundown, and they were walking up a steep path that had stones cut into it as steps, but it was clear that the path was made by people who didn't have to walk it.

When they finally made it to the top of the hill, Kazimir was winded, but relieved. Well, sort of.

Above them, there were several tall, giant trees that had big treehouses built in them. It didn't look like they had any ladders or anything leading up to them, but down below, there were lines of little huts and houses that looked homey. The town in and of itself wasn't very big - especially in comparison to Foxville - but it was something.

When he looked up, he could see a few harpies flying between homes, or up and down, like the town was getting ready to go settle down.

It was probably their cue to look for an inn or a shop or somewhere with food, then.

Once he caught his breath, anyway.

935 Reviews

Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:08 am
View Likes
Shady says...

The trip was exhausting. Derik was fully aware that Kaz was letting him set the pace -- so he set it just a bit too fast, so he wouldn't look like he was struggling as much as he was. By the time they made it to the top of those godsdamned stairs, he was thoroughly winded.

He looked around, then looked over at Kaz and followed his gaze up to... "Kaz... what are harpies?"

[they/he]

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:10 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

“People with wings, stupid,” Kazimir said as he gave Derik a pat on the back. “Birdfolk. Whatever you wanna call ‘em.”

935 Reviews

Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:14 am
View Likes
Shady says...

"Oh, stupid me," Derik said flatly. Birdfolk. That was going to be his second guess. "How are we going to convince them to help us? I didn't know I was gonna have to climb."

[they/he]

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:36 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

"Oh, nah, you don't have to climb," Kazimir said, pointing to the few houses on the ground. His finger landed on a two-story building that looked like an establishment of sorts, and without further explanation, started walking. There was a winding dirt path that went through the town, and it looked like it had been ridden through with wagons, but not often. Harpies didn't ride horses anyway - if anything, they trained griffins. He didn't really want to see any of those.

935 Reviews

Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:39 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Now just wait a minute," Derik protested, rushing after him. This was going to be like traveling with Zander. Great. Always do something now -- never let's stop and use my brain. "What's our plan when we get there?"

[they/he]

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:46 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

"Uh," Kazimir said. "I don't know. Looks like an inn or something. As if they have a room? Maybe they need something zapped in return. Or uh..."

He paused, feeling his pockets. Empty.

"Damn. Hold on."

He stopped in his tracks, and plopped down on the ground, taking off his boots. He then peeled back his socks with a little laugh.

"Ah ha ha! They never go for the socks," he said with a pleased smile of discovery. He then pulled out a few gold and silver pieces. "Ok. This won't get us weapons or shit, but hopefully some food and a room or something."

He looked up to Derik, holding up the coins.

"Hold this," he said. He needed to put his shoes back on.

935 Reviews

Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:52 pm
Shady says...

This wasn't happening. Why was this happening?

Derik forced himself to stop sulking after a moment. This was good. He didn't think they had money to work with. Apparently, they did... foot money. He reluctantly reached out and took the money, glancing down as Kaz was putting a sock on his... foot that was missing a toe.

Derik gestured at it and taunted. "That little piggy go to the market?"

[they/he]

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:55 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

"I don't get the joke, but yes," Kazimir said with a laugh. "I think. I chopped it off when I was a kid. Playing with knives. Or, that's what my parents tell me. I don't really remember. My dad says I was a demonic child."

He finished putting his shoes back on and got to his feet, swiping the money back from Derik.

"But anyway," he said. "Now we're ready to go. Let's hurry before they close their doors and the sun goes down."

935 Reviews

Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:57 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Alright, alright," Derik grumbled, wiping his hands on his trousers and starting towards the town, hoping that these bird people liked him more than they liked Kazimir. And that Kazimir could go against all his instincts and actually keep his mouth shut.

[they/he]

174 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:05 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Kazimir confidently led the way up to the building. It had stucco walls and a flat, hay roof. There were a lot of flowers and plants outside for decoration, and several hanging out of windows as well. He noticed three horses that were tied to a post outside, which at least told him some humans had to be there. That made him feel a little more positive about their odds.

That, and there was a sign over the big double-door entrance that read: Fly-By Inn.

"Haha," Kazimir chuckled softly. "Funny."

He pushed ahead through the doors and they entered a small lobby, where there was a harpy woman behind the front desk. She had reddish-brown wings that were folded behind her back, and small feathers of the same kind around her forehead, hairline, and cheeks. She had an open-backed simple plaid dress and looked up at the two of them with a polite smile.

"Hello, weary travelers," she said. "It looks like you need a room for the night?"

935 Reviews

Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:08 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Derik tried to take in everything they were passing as Kazimir led the way into an inn where a strange-looking woman was tending the desk. She must one of the bird people. Derik forced himself not to gawk, but instead, "Yes, please. And food. Please. Ma'am."

[they/he]

The simple truth is that authors like making people squirm. If this weren't the case, all novels would be filled completely with cute bunnies having birthday parties.
— Brandon Sanderson, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians