z

Young Writers Society

Slight Changes to Default Template, March 2008

Do you like the changes to YWS Default (hit refresh/reload if you don't notice anything different)

Yes
74%
No
26%

Total votes : 19

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:02 pm
Nate says...

Made some very slight, but nonetheless noticeable, changes to the YWS default template. If you're using it, there's no need to go over what's changed, but you may need to hit refresh/reload.

If you're not using it (or just interested), here's what I changed:

1. The border images have been replaced by simple css rounded corners. No images, no extra loading times. If you do your own web pages, I recommend www.spiffycorners.com for doing this.

2. The header looks a bit more Web 2.0 esque now, and displays the latest news as well.

3. All the top buttons are now black (the register buttons look odd but that'll be fixed). These are the same ones used in YWS Chimped Out.

Overall, I think even though the changes are quite slight, it gives YWS a fresh, new look.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:06 pm
Emerson says...

I'm not sure.

I won't complain and ask for it to be changed back, but it may take me a while to get used to it. =/ I liked how it looked before with the simplified border above the buttons.

But! The general vote may not be the same as mine.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:22 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

I really like the change to the rounded edges and black background behind the buttons. (How about that for alliteration!)

I did like how there was the border above the buttons before, but less loading time is awesome.

Ta,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:31 pm
Perra says...

Ehh.
The buttons are all blurry/pixelly now (at least on my comp), and they seem a bit smaller than before. And it looks like there's text on the top of the banner that's been cut off. Overall, it looks messy. :/ Although I can't remember if the banner looked that way before. I definitely noticed a change, though.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:39 pm
Sureal says...

It looked aweful whilst you were updating it - the top buttons at the top in particular, before you changed the background to black - but now it looks great. :D
I wrote the above just for you.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:39 pm
Nate says...

Perra ->> I think I know what you mean with the pixelated images, but simply refresh and it'll look better.

I don't know what you mean by the cut off text though. It may be that you just need to hit refresh, but if that doesn't solve the problem, please let me know what browser you are using.

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:34 pm
Perra says...

Well now it looks awesome! It took a while to kick in on my computer. I take back what I said.

P.S. I use Firefox.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:38 pm
Rydia says...

I think the rounded edged are excellent but I'm not sure about the black background. I don't dislike it enough that I'd complain but I'm worried that the text and image icons don't stand out quite so well.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:48 am
JFW1415 says...

Yeah, I agree with Kitty15. For a while the background was white and I loved it, but then it turned black. It seems a bit odd...

Also, it's a bit hard to read the links in the News thing; they blend in a bunch. I did click refresh, though. :?

~JFW1415

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:56 am
Meep says...

I'm not sure I'm in love with the black background - it doesn't seem to "match" the rest of the site layout colorscheme, but other than that, I like it a lot.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:05 am
Snoink says...

LOL, on the windows IE, I saw the rounded corners, I saw the rounded corners, but for Safari, it ain't happening. :P

I don't like the black. The other changes are cool though.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

721 Reviews

Reviews: 721
Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:07 am
Azila says...

The only thing I've really noticed is that the buttons at the top (like the "My YWS" or "Community" or "Writing" or "Resources") are all messed up and pixelated, like Perra said.

I have reloaded many times, even logged out and back in again and it's still the same... even when I'm logged out.

I use Mozilla Firefox and I've got a Mac... if that makes any difference. :roll:

~Azila~

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:36 am
Meep says...

Azila, I was having the same problem - on a Mac, using Firefox - and I just refreshed the heck out of it.

If that fails ... clear your cache?
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:53 am
gyrfalcon says...

It was that way for me for awhile (Firefox, Dell), but now it's clear. I think the black background will take some getting used to, but overall I like the changes!
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:57 am
casey_kent says...

It was okay. But the icons on top are blurry:(
Christianity is not a religion, it's a relationship.

I may not be perfect but Jesus thinks I'm to die for.

"Let's destroy these little darlings..."- W.Beckett

To be a master of metaphor is the greatest thing by far. It is the one thing that cannot be learnt from others, and it is also a sign of genius.
— Aristotle, Poetics