z

Young Writers Society

Big Chat Room Change: Minimum Review Amount

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:44 pm
Reakeda says...

*glances at her review count and winces slightly*... Yeah. I'll have to give a few more of those before then, but I like the idea.

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:39 pm
Phindin says...

The only problem I see with it is that it might encourage members who don't have enough reviews to offer some rather sub-par ones in order to get to 25. Also, it's rather irksome to people like me who dislike reviews in general, despite the fact that they're perfectly capable of giving them.
"Buy, buy, buy, buy; sell, sell, sell
How well you've learned to not discern;
Who's foe and who is friend,
We'll own them all in the end."

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:42 pm
Snoink says...

Phindin wrote:The only problem I see with it is that it might encourage members who don't have enough reviews to offer some rather sub-par ones in order to get to 25. Also, it's rather irksome to people like me who dislike reviews in general, despite the fact that they're perfectly capable of giving them.

If we see you giving silly reviews, we're going to pounce on you.

And if you don't want to do reviews then... that's your decision. :P
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:48 pm
Alice says...

I still say this is one of Nate's Tolkien* ideas!

*Tolkien idea: based on Tolkiens lord of the rings series meaning brillant
I just lost the game.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:59 pm
Nate says...

Phindin->> That obviously is a worry that some people will just write spam reviews, but as Snoink pointed out, you will get called out. The JMs are excellent at spotting suspiciously short reviews, and will PM you if you do it a lot. If circumstances merit it, I can even reduce your review count.

But as to not wanting to do reviews then I have to ask, why are you here?

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:17 pm
Prokaryote says...

Nate wrote:But as to not wanting to do reviews then I have to ask, why are you here?

To get your work reviewed. Personally, I hate doing reviews because I'm terrible at them; but, of course, I understand the necessity of the "you review others', they review yours" system.

Prokaryote

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:24 pm
Sureal says...

Is this the reason for the influx of "Post your story in shorter pieces to get more replies!" 'reviews' I'm seeing new members give? They always annoy the heck outta me, especially when the story in question isn't even 2,000 words long.
I wrote the above just for you.

425 Reviews

Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:37 pm
Nate says...

Prok ->> You have a 1 to 3 review to post ratio. That's actually quite good and nothing to sneeze at!

Sureal wrote:Is this the reason for the influx of "Post your story in shorter pieces to get more replies!" 'reviews' I'm seeing new members give? They always annoy the heck outta me, especially when the story in question isn't even 2,000 words long.

Maybe, but I doubt it. The vast majority of people tend to skip over Announcements, so I doubt many of the new members even know about this change quite yet.

What it probably has more to do with is the recent influx of new members, and when you're new, you don't really know how to give a proper critique. But even with the influx, the number of new member registrations has been fairly stable for a little over a year now. A year ago, the number of new members to members who have been here at least a month was 1 to 10. Now that ratio is 1 to 20. As that ratio gets higher, you should expect to see the number of reviews like that go down in proportion to proper reviews.

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:19 pm
[deleted1] says...

I need, 10 more reviews!! =O. If anyone needs a crit, feel free to ask!! XD

Good Idea Nate :)

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:54 pm
[deleted1] says...

Will this be permenant? or just temporary?

425 Reviews

425 Reviews

Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:15 pm
Nate says...

Okie dokie, done. You can no longer access the chat room unless you have at least 25 reviews.

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:19 pm
Wolf says...

That's a good rule, Nate! :)
I don't use the Chat often, but I don't think I have anything to worry about. *is smug* xD
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:30 pm
Prosithion says...

Very good idea.

kudos.

Should at least get some reviews out of people. and might limit the use of the chatroom
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...
— Dr. Seuss