z

Young Writers Society

Report A Site Bug

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu May 29, 2008 2:27 am
Nate says...

Suzanne ->> That was on purpose, and it's only for you. When I designed the review system, I built in special exceptions for a specific subset of reviewers, such as yourself, kitty15, and Snoink.

However, it is not done out of kindness or a recognition that y'all are the best reviewers on the site. Rather, it is done out of pure spite and envy. The day has come for this "review inflation" of the top reviewers to be revealed; thus discrediting the top reviewers and cementing my already tyrannical hold on YWS. Nevermind that I already have complete, unfettered access to the code, the database, and the switch, but I felt that was just not enough. I needed not just complete and unfettered power, but ultimate complete and unfettered power.

Your review count as well as several others has now been discredited. Your review count has been artificially inflated by myself so as to one day show to the site that the review system cannot be trusted. Now as this trust erodes, the masses will look for a leader, and I shall be that leader.
Last edited by Nate on Thu May 29, 2008 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu May 29, 2008 2:34 am
Emerson says...

Pffft.

Yes, Master.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

425 Reviews

Thu May 29, 2008 2:51 am
Nate says...

The review bug and the text box bug have both been fixed.

C'mon, someone throw me a curve ball. These are too easy.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Thu May 29, 2008 6:54 pm
Leja says...

More review madness!

I posted more on one of my stories within the same thread (here: topic30015.html), almost as if I were posting a comment, and afterward, I was told "Your review count increased by one!" I thought we didn't get review counts for posting on our own stories?

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:24 pm
Alainna says...

I never normally do critiques in parts but lately I haven't had enough time to do a full-length critique in one sitting so I've been saving them as drafts. When I do post them, say the next day or an hour later, I only get about 8 points for them. These are the three that I did:
post375869.html?highlight=#375869

post374771.html?highlight=#374771

post373466.html?highlight=#373466

I don't know if it's a bug (I asked Saint Razorblade to see if I was just going mad and she says she thinks it's a bug).

Thanks,
Alainna
xx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

721 Reviews

Reviews: 721
Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:17 pm
Azila says...

I was just coming over here to report the same thing as Alainna: whenever I save a crit as a draft then come back and finish it and post it, I never get ANY points.

This has been happening for a while, so it's kind of ironic that when I finally decide to report it, I see that someone else has, lol. But I'm glad I'm not just going mad. :D

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:28 pm
yoha_ahoy says...

I just noticed a bug in the "YWS Groups" page in the drop-down under Community. In the big list of all the groups with little descriptions below, when you roll over anywhere in the list all of the text lights up orange like it's a link. I dun think it's supposed to do that.... Thanks!

~Yoyo 8)
@(^_^)@
Got YWS?

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:11 pm
deleted6 says...

Nate:

I'm sick of my error, it doesn't happen on any other site, and it makes reviewing all the more difficult.

One I'm using Firefox, Default template.

Now problem: When I go to make any reply on forum except quick I get these two annoying problems. When I leave reply box to flip through tabs on firefox. E.g say if I'm listening to a song on myspace continuelly and have to keep playing it. When I leave box it jumps back up to the top. This is espeically bad if, I'm doing a long review that maxes box size, and scrolls down. When I go back to type it's over what I've already written.

This began when new spelling feature was installed.

Now, other I could handle, if it wasn't for last one. Basically I highlight something intending to quote or something, when I leave box it deselects it self.

These issues are really making much harder for me, to do anything on this forum. They don't happen on any other forum or site. So it's not my com like you suspect, otherwise be effecting other sites. Please just fix this. I've explained it as best as I can.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:23 pm
smaur says...

I don't know if this necessarily qualifies as a bug, but it sure feels like it:

In the "Stories & Poems" section on the front page, where the newest fiction and poetry is posted as previews, stories that are in the Science-Fiction forum don't register.
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

425 Reviews

Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:01 pm
Nate says...

Vernon ->> Thanks for taking the time to explain it this time as I have requested in the past. In the past, all you would say is that it scrolls, which was of no help whatsoever.

Unfortunately, you still need to do a better job explaining as " Basically I highlight something intending to quote or something, when I leave box it deselects it self. " makes absolutely no sense by itself. I am not psychic. Plus, the sentence structure is awkward. In fact, your sentence is a fragment.

However, as I have explained to your previously, you are the only person having this problem. Only you. You and you alone. Just you. That is why I think it is a setting on your computer. If it was being widely reported, then I would not think that. But it's only you. Just you. You. If it were not just you, then I'd start looking more into it.

Once again, only you are having the problem, which again leads me to believe that it is a setting on your computer. I don't know what it could be, though, as you can't even explain what the problem is using good English. In the past, you only said "it scrolls," and when I asked you for an explanation, you said "it scrolls to the top."

Given all that, this is what I want you to try:

1. Clear the cache.

2. Try viewing the site with IE, or Opera. Does it happen then?

Random avatar

Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:20 pm
deleted6 says...

Nate wrote:Vernon ->> Thanks for taking the time to explain it this time as I have requested in the past. In the past, all you would say is that it scrolls, which was of no help whatsoever.

Unfortunately, you still need to do a better job explaining as " Basically I highlight something intending to quote or something, when I leave box it deselects it self. " makes absolutely no sense by itself. I am not psychic. Plus, the sentence structure is awkward. In fact, your sentence is a fragment.

However, as I have explained to your previously, you are the only person having this problem. Only you. You and you alone. Just you. That is why I think it is a setting on your computer. If it was being widely reported, then I would not think that. But it's only you. Just you. You. If it were not just you, then I'd start looking more into it.

Once again, only you are having the problem, which again leads me to believe that it is a setting on your computer. I don't know what it could be, though, as you can't even explain what the problem is using good English. In the past, you only said "it scrolls," and when I asked you for an explanation, you said "it scrolls to the top."

Given all that, this is what I want you to try:

1. Clear the cache.

2. Try viewing the site with IE, or Opera. Does it happen then?

It was all fine until the new spelling thing. And right in reply box, you know how you have to highlight stuff to quickly get the coding buttons to put the CSS codes in, well when I leave box to do just that, it deselects. ow for other problem, I've done my best. As I said it only began, when spelling feature came in. It was all dandy until then. So until that happened it was fine.

Can't be my settings if earlier it was fine then changed when spelling feature was added. Really, Nate, maybe it's limited to me, but still, can't you please look in it? I'm wanting help on my story and if it's so hard to add in correct coding for post (italics). Look, I've had it up to here with it, it's annoying, and know until spelling thing was enplanted all was fine. As fine as my own com can get.

Plus, I'm not changing my browser when all other sites work fine. It's inpratical. I've done my best to explain it all. I just wanna a solution.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.

Random avatar

Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:24 pm
deleted6 says...

Nate wrote:Vernon, ONCE AGAIN, please explain this: " Basically I highlight something intending to quote or something, when I leave box it deselects it self. " Can you do that?

I am trying to help you, but you got to use good English and explain things.

Okay, I post a lot of news article I normally copy a bit and paste, now when I hightlight, ya know to add
It deselects itself. You know how when you click the Quote button to do it for ya.

As I said if it wasn't for main problem wouldn't be so bothered. But together it's unbearable.

425 Reviews

Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:42 pm
Nate says...

Vernon, if you're going to say something like "it's impractical for me to do that" then you got to realize it's impractical for me to help you any further. You're not willing to try the one solution that may actually help, instead telling me that's unacceptable and to try again. You didn't even try checking to see if the problem occurs on IE either. Please do so as I requested. I cannot help you if you aren't even willing to listen.

If it were more people, then I could try to find something common among all. But since it's just you, I can't do that. So it could be any one of a thousand things; it could be a conflict between programs, a coding error, a computer setting, etc. I just don't know because, so far, it's only you.

In the future, use good English as well. You're using Firefox, which has a built-in spell checker. That means you probably saw the spelling mistakes in your last post before posting, yet you chose to not fix them anyway. Please do not do this again. From now on, I will not help you if you aren't even willing to ensure your post has good grammar & spelling.

So far Vernon, you are asking for help, and I am trying to give it. Yet, you keep on frustrating those efforts. First you don't explain things, and I need to keep on prodding you to explain thins. Second, you don't grammar check your own posts, making it practically impossible to read them.

Now, I'm going to try to make some sense out of your post:

The First Problem: Are you trying to say that when you leave the tab or window, the text box in the post reply page goes back to the first line of the text box, or to the top of the page?

The Second Problem: Are you trying to say that when you highlight text, then go to add the bbcode, such as bold or italics, the text unhighlights when your mouse leaves the text box area?

Now, once again, try the following two options:

1. You did not say if you tried clearing the page cache. So if you didn't, try this.

2. Open YWS in IE. Tell me if the problem occurs in IE or not.

Vernon, please read over this post in its entirety and take it to heart. Unless you start using grammar, spelling, and bother to explain the problem, then I cannot help you. And if you say "that's impractical" again to anything, I will not help you because something like that demonstrates to me that it's simply not worth my time to help someone like you.

Plus, you have to realize that my life does not revolve around you. I am not going to spend hours trying to figure out a solution to a problem that is only affecting one user. And I am especially not even going to spend one hour for a user who won't use their built in spell-checker, won't grammar check, won't explain, and won't even try offered solutions.

Random avatar

Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:51 pm
deleted6 says...

Okay, I'm shocked you assumed I didn't try one. Okay, here goes, I'll try IE, I really dislike it though... Now for spellchecker, it worked kinda for a while, but my inbuilt one decided it dislikes me. For problems, that's them in a nutshell. And sorry for grammar but I'm frustrated. Anyway, now to see if it does.

Hmm, for IE, it doesn't happen, but I've been put off IE because of problems assosiated with it. Plus I like the extras you get for FF. So, if it can be fixed, now I've tried everything, and won't force me to use IE as my browser. I did try uninstalling this again, but nothing. So really I guess I could look for an older version to download, that might work.

Hmm, edit: Okay, it was Foxytunes, it seems to be a bad version for now. It's not compatiable with BBcoding it seems. That's what led to the problem.

Sorry for hassle.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:31 pm
Emerson says...

This is rather perplexing...

Time: 2.30 EST

Error: I opened YWS (not signed in) and Chimped Out was the layout. I signed in, still Chimped Out. I went to settings and it read "default" and I set it to "default" and saved... still Chimped Out? I'm guessing you (Nate) are playing with things? #_# But just in case you aren't...
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

The thing about plummeting downhill at fifty miles an hour on a snack platter - if you realize it's a bad idea when you're halfway down, it's too late.
— Rick Riordan, The Son of Neptune