z

Young Writers Society

May 2008 Updates Thread

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu May 15, 2008 6:22 am
Nate says...

After taking a month-long lapse, I'm back at messing with the site. This time around, I'm concentrating on making things better rather than adding new features.

Here's what has been done so far (this will be updated throughout the month with the newest stuff at top):

YWS Groups Revamp: The YWS groups area has received a slight makeover, and should now look much better.

Advanced Spell Check: If you remember SpellingCow, what we have now is about 100 times better. It's all done using GoogieSpell, and is one of my favorite new features even though I already have Firefox (which spellchecks everything already).

Scrolling Header: The header now scrolls with you; very useful for YWS which has some very long pages. It may take some getting used to at first, but I've been finding it very helpful (just got to get in the mindset that I don't have to scroll up anymore!). If you don't like it, just hit the "Stop" link at the very top. Note: this does not work for IE 6 users. IE 6 is now an ancient browser, and I will no longer take the time to make sure stuff works for IE 6, which is an abomination from a developer's point of view. Please update if you're using IE 6!

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Thu May 15, 2008 9:57 am
deleted6 says...

Love the updates, keep them coming Nate :).
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Thu May 15, 2008 10:10 am
Areida says...

Thank you, Nate! :D
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Thu May 15, 2008 5:17 pm
smaur says...

That new groups page looks pretty. Really really really pretty. You rock, Nate. : )
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Thu May 15, 2008 5:17 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Very nifty. I noticed all of these things!
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Thu May 15, 2008 5:28 pm
Aedomir says...

I'm loving these. I've been here for what... four months? - and there have been so many great updates! Keep them coming :-)
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

268 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 268
Thu May 15, 2008 7:31 pm
Adnamarine says...

Yay, I love the scrolly thing! And the spell check. Super awesomeness Natester. You know we all love you oodles and oodles:)
"Half the time the poem writes me." ~Meshugenah

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Thu May 15, 2008 7:57 pm
JFW1415 says...

As you know, I've just switched to FireFox. I love it - I get a spell check wherever I go! (But I'm sure the new one is great, Nate. :wink: )

The User Groups looks awesome. Now I want to enter some...

And I still can't stop scrolling up! Gah...but it's awesome. :lol:

Thanks, Nate! *Bows*

~JFW1415

something I have been thinking about ever since I saw the Super Mario Bros movie is how once I took a "what Nintendo character are you" quiz and I got Waluigi.
— Elinor