z

Young Writers Society

Problems With The Chat Room

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:11 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

A lot of people have noticed problems in the chat room. So far, I haven't received any complaints about it, but I thought I'd go address it anyways since it's happening more and more often.

Why The Problems Now?

As anyone knows, the problems in the chat have always happened. However, they are becoming increasingly frequent. The reason for this is simply the number of people in the chat. Until two months ago, it was rare for there to be any more than 8 people in the chat. Nowadays, it's common to see 12, 15, and even 20 people in the chat.

So why does it matter how many people are in the chat?

YWS operates on a server, which is just a computer. Like your computer, some applications use more memory than others. The chat program uses a lot of memory, and it uses more when there are more people in there. But the server only has so much memory, so what happens is the same thing that happens on your computer: it begins to slow down. This slow down is the lag you are getting.

Can't you do anything?

Yes, and no. I can't do anything because the chat is written in Flash. I don't have the software necessary to edit Flash code, much less the knowledge. I can change some elements (censors, user controls) because those are expressly editable. But, I can't change the nuts and bolts.

However, I could get a new chat program. But, to get one similar to the one we have now without the problems would cost at least a hundred dollars, and that comes with some severe limitations.

Yet, I could get another one for free, but it wouldn't be like what we have now. There are a couple different ones, including an html version of the one we have now. All of these, though, are not nearly as good.

So...

So, if things get worse, I will change the chat program, but it's not going to be a change a lot of people will like. All that stuff you like currently, such as pmming in the chat, Fred, different colors, icons, smilies, backgrounds, sounds, will all be gone.

At this point though, I don't think it's that bad. The problems, for now, are bearable. Yet, that probably won't be the case in another two months.

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:16 pm
Aedomir says...

I haven't noticed anything, what types of problems are they?
Last edited by Aedomir on Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:23 pm
Emerson says...

I haven't noticed many problems with it? I'd be real sad if we changed chats, so I hope too many problems don't come up.

We could just put a limit on the people who can be in the chat. Or, better! Lets get rid of the chat all together! I knew you would agree...
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

203 Reviews

Reviews: 203
Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:44 pm
October Girl says...

hmm that's odd. I haven't noticed anything either. But, thanks Nate!
We're meant to be one
I know we are...
If I am the Sky
Then you are my star... ™

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:35 pm
Meshugenah says...

Suzanne wrote:We could just put a limit on the people who can be in the chat. Or, better! Lets get rid of the chat all together! I knew you would agree...

Oh, yes! :P
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:32 am
Monki says...

Okee dokee then. I haven't really noticed anything either. I got logged out once for no reason, but that was it. But, if the change will be for the better, then I'm gung-ho for it! Woo hoo!
Tom Riddle: "You read my diary?"
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

I *do* like flipping tables.
— Faye Whitaker, Questionable Content