z

Young Writers Society

Sunshine and Rain, Angels and Writer's Block: A Journal

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:23 pm
Angel of Death says...

Sunshine and Rain, Angels and Writer's Block

Okay. I wanted to start on a journal just because it seems like it'll be interesting to do, especially since NaNo is just around the corner. Here I will talk about what I'm currently working on and what is soon to come.

Works In Progress:

My baby, The Jane Effect is going fairly well, thanks to my devoted reader ashleylee. Just to give everyone an insight on whats it's about here's a Summary:

The Jane Effect is about this girl named Elizabeth Jane Greenly, who is a smart young woman who is forced to marry Mr. William James Harvey, a rich twenty-five year old man, to help bring money and honor to her family. Later, Elizabeth discovers that Mr. Harvey is only marrying her to make Maxine, her younger sister jealous. When William wants a divorce, her pride is pretty much destroyed and she feels that she can't show her face around town or anywhere else, again. I will not tell anything more because I have already given away too much. This story is basically about finding new love and moving on after life gives you a bucket of sour grapes.

What inspired me to write it is the fact that I'm intrigued by the classics such as Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice. Please, if you love 18th century English romances then check out The Jane Effect.

Also there are a few other tweaks that I'm making to the story that will be surprising. Hope you check it out.
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

695 Reviews

Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:57 pm
Angel of Death says...

Here a list of other stories I'm working on:

If Love is not Enough

I always wanted to write one of those modern chick lit type books but with all the drama and teenage angst involved. I really like writing classic romantic deep and dark novels but I'm going down a different road.

Basically this story is about a girl named Teresa who falls in love with an older guy who goes out with her mother to get closer to her. Yeah it's a weird plot but I hope people will read and enjoy.

We're not in Kansas Anymore, Darling

A three part story for a contest that talks about a woman who fears to be kissed by her husband when he contracts a disease. They go on trip to find a doctor that can help and soon she gives into her needs and...I'm not telling anymore you all will just have to wait.

How to get ideas and stick with them

One of the reasons I chose to stay on this sight was because I love hearing what other people think. I need their comments to continue writing any idea I have. If you have the constant case of Writer's block write about anything and watch a lot of TV, the news especially. Soon you'll have something great. But the question is, how do you stick with something great? I know that I set my standards high when I write the first chapter or prologue to something. Then I feel like nothing after that can match or equal that first piece. What to do?

1.) Write anything, don't think too much on it.
2.) Take your time when you write.
3.) Listen to great music and read a lot
4.) Ask for help, jot down suggestions

Those are some things I do to help me keep writing.

The Jane Effect Prog Log

Here I will post the word count of my book.

Thanks to all who read,

~Angel
how to manifest it.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:05 am
righting says...

your work sounds pretty cool! :)
Always looking for a good book to read.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:51 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

"If Love is Not Enough" sounds weird but totally cool. Very edgy, very unique. :) Good luck on all of them!
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

695 Reviews

Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:34 am
Angel of Death says...

1. War for sale or romances not for young eyes

So, yes, your dear ole Angel has attempted a some-what war story. All who have critiqued what I have read of Secrets of the Unfaithful can and will only be able to find the secrets of this story that sales war in crates with its believable imagery and dialog.

Marshall Green, is an ass and yes, I know it. He appears to be an injured soldier, who spends his days hating God, his breakfast, and the American nurse, Lucy, who is the complete opposite. Some may ask, what is his redeeming quality, but when you've been through all that he has been through, maybe his redeeming qualities will appear to be his trials. When, Lucy, asks to know about his life so that she can write a book, Marshall says yes because, deep down, he wants to leave behind his story before he dies.

Laura Hawthorne, is a character that seems to be living in anguish, will she find any happiness? She is raising her son, Nathaniel,( inspired by Nate) all alone and is just now appearing back in New York, to visit her father who is all for the church. She hopes he will forgive her but when she goes back to her childhood home, she finds, John Harold, the nephew of Miss Harold. He was close with her father and helped him out as he got older. When Laura finds out that her father is dead, she hates herself, for every ending their relationship on such a bad note. She had sinned and most importantly, she had stabbed her father with the most powerful knife of all, betrayal.

Marshall and Laura, tell their stories from two different time periods and yet, they share such a big connection or three actually.

I hope people will read and enjoy.

Here's an excerpt:

Note: Thank you, for those who are reading and critiquing. If you ever need me to critique something, just ask ^_^ After this chapter, it'll go back to 1934 and it'll be in Laura's point of view. There will be a couple of chapters for her and then I will bring Marshall back. Wait till you see what he was like before the war! Anyways, enjoy!!!

~Angel

Secrets of the Unfaithful
By Angel of Death

Chapter 3

I had not been able to go to sleep. The fact that I had said yes to Lucy writing a book about me, irked me. It even surprised me. I would have said no, and curled my thoughts away in a protective shell. No one was allowed to read the pages of this diary, no matter how many times that batted their eyelashes or told me how interesting I was. I mean, I swear the girl is crazy about me. Though I wouldn't know. My heart has shriveled up long ago, after I left...

Two nurses came into the room, breaking me from my thoughts. One was a round woman, with tawny gray eyes and short blond hair. She never talked, but you could tell her eyes were forever watching. If I were not in my right mind, I'd think she was a mind reader. It was often I caught her staring at me with that ever-wondering gaze of hers. She lent me that gaze now. To make sure my privacy wasn't being evaded, I clamped my head and thought of nothing but the dry pancakes from this morning's breakfast. I was hungry. I hadn't realized it until the picture of crusty bread smothered with hot syrup entered my mind. There was a loud clank and then I opened my eyes. The other nurse, whose name I did not know, was setting a bin on the other cot. She smiled at me when she caught me staring. I tried to return the gesture but I think I've forgotten how to pull my lips up. There was a sponge floating around in some water inside the bin. They were going to give me a bath. Staring down at my severed arms, I sighed. My dressings needed to be changed anyway. They were starting to itch and if I smelled real hard, I could smell dead flesh and blood. Its scent was salty, almost like the ocean. The round nurse pulled back my blankets and carefully slipped off my pants. My skin was paler than usual. I've lived for so long without sunlight, that I am almost transparent. It felt good for my skin to breath though. Lucy always piled blanket after blanket on me. There were many times when I told her that I was hot and she had not listened. Silly girl. Oh the things I could do without her. I felt a warm sponge move gently up and down my leg. It was the other nurse. The one with the smile. She had long brown hair and a face that wasn't as appealing as some. Her eyes were too small and her lips weren't proportioned with her jaw or nose. I wouldn't judge her for her appearances though. She was no Lucy and I was fine by that. After she lathered my legs in soap and water, the other nurse dried me off. They did my upper body as well and then left. The brown-haired one took one last glance and then blushed immensely, as she walked out of the room.

Lucy was my next visitor. She brought with her bandages to replace my soaking wet ones. After changing them, she sat down in her spot and stared at me. I wanted to say something smart but I didn't. Instead, I grunted and waited for her to say something.
"Are you hungry?" she asked, her hands folded neatly in her lap.
"No," I replied, yawning. The conversation had not gone anywhere after that. Lucy had tried asking why I was so sorry, but I only told her that it was the lack of sunlight that was draining my energy. Her eyes lit up at this, and she promised that she'd take me for a stroll sometime.
Last edited by Angel of Death on Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
how to manifest it.

695 Reviews

Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:49 pm
Angel of Death says...

2. Diamond Smiles and Button Eyes

I love Photobucket, especially when I get inspired by pictures. There were a few that whole 40s style and the way people dressed. There is still a lot of research I have to do but who says I can't have fun in the process.

This picture, is what Laura Hawthorne looks like now. When I saw this picture, the tone and her outfit just screamed LAURA!

This might be a potential cover for the book. I always like making covers because they make the book seem possible to complete. Hopefully, my writing is good enough to last till the end. This picture really symbolizes a lot of things to each character. For one, they don't know how they're lives will end or what roads they should take. I just really liked it when I first saw it, though I had to do a couple of tweaks to make it the way I wanted it to look. Ha ha...I get bored.

When I saw this picture, I knew that it had the potential to fit in the line of other great pics for my story. It really reminded me of a scene, I have in my head where Laura listens to music for the very first time. Her father didn't allow record players or anything in his house, and when Marshall bought it for her she loved it and from that point on, music has been a big part of their relationship.

With a few tweaks, I made this picture look as 40s dated as possible. This is Laura as well.

how to manifest it.

695 Reviews

Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:05 pm
View Likes
Angel of Death says...

3. Hallo to Old Loves

I can't help it! Other stories keep popping up in my head really I'm supposed to be working on The Jane Effect. Its just sitting there waiting to be edited and loved, but I'm just too lazy. There's so much to write and though NaNo sorta forced me to write more, I'm not going to use half of the stuff I wrote for nano because it doesn't fit and there's much to the story....so frustrating!

So Secrets of the Unfaithful might be put on the back burner for a moment. I might try writing Chapter 4 sometime this week or weekend, I don't know.

Oh, and pictures for The Jane Effect will be up soon.
how to manifest it.

695 Reviews

Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:03 pm
Angel of Death says...

4. Love is Simply not Enough

I told myself that I was going to stick with The Jane Effect but it looks like I'm going to stick with If Love is not Enough just to see if I can do realistic fiction for a change. Its a romance basically but it deals with other problems, like peer pressure, identity.

Important Characters

Teresa Harrison: (Main Character) a very strong reserved girl who loves to read and write. She is a very good listener and hates making mistakes whether they're grammatical or real-life.

Isabella Daniels: One of Teresa's best friend. She is popular with the guys and always has this optimistic view of the world but she's keeping a secret from everyone, even her best friend. Soon she starts dealing with peer pressure and trying to be herself, but will she able to?

Warren Lewis: Teresa's other best friend. He loves video games, messy food, and he's just your average joe. Throughout the story you'll see that his character changes and he too, becomes a different person.

Mrs. Lawson: A school counselor who helps Teresa out when she doesn't have nowhere else to go and no one to turn to.

Laura Harrison: Teresa's mother.

Marco Harrison: Teresa's older brother. He has a lot of issues that he keeps to himself and later on in the story he explodes...

Mr. Gardener: A man who uses his sadness as his advantage to lure Teresa in....

This story takes many turns and has a lot of shortcuts so expect the unexpected.

Book Cover

how to manifest it.

695 Reviews

Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:25 pm
Angel of Death says...

5. I can't stop playing musical chairs

Ugh!! Don't you hate in when you keep getting so many so many story ideas. Well, I was just sitting here listening to music and writing the fourth chapter of Secrets of the Unfaithful, when I realized that I really want to write a Sarah Dessen type book. Yes, my first attempt was If Love is not Enough but I can't seem to write for that anymore. I might start it up again when I don't have much on my mind, but I have a new project (sorry)

Its called Black and Blue

Summary: Daniella "Dani" Gomez is not your average girl and her life isn't all sunshine and rainbows. It all started when her mother abandoned her and Luis, her little brother. The two ended up at an orphanage and they were later separated when Luis was adopted. Because of being at the orphanage for so long, Dani started to act out. Ms. Peters, a counselor at the orphanage, decided to adopt Dani because she felt that she still had a chance to change her life around. Dani started going to school and for a while she was the outsider, until she met Cillian.

This is a story about hope, pain, and the meaning of truth: Black and Blue

I hope people will enjoy my new story and I hope I can stick with it.

Thanks for reading,

~Angie
how to manifest it.

695 Reviews

Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:58 pm
Angel of Death says...

6. Le début de vieux amours

As you dahlings all know, I have went round and round over and over again, on what story I should stick with. Since I have the most of The Jane Effect, it only makes since that I dally in the world of Elizabeth Greenly, do not you agree? Besides, I have revisited one of my favorite novels Jane Eyre and couldn't help but think of my dear Lizzie, and her many loves. So, to all of my readers, please expect more.

Here is the latest cover I've made:

P.S. If I try to start writing something else, you must prevent me from doing so.

Ta,

~Angel
how to manifest it.

695 Reviews

Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:05 am
Angel of Death says...

7. The Hatter's Dance

Yes, I know I'm not supposed to be writing anything new, but this is for contest purposes so it's alright. I want to thank Castleinthesky upfront for thinking up such an awesome contest because now I have an awesome idea for a story. Its a mystery/romance and in this book people are not who they appear to be. I will not be posting it anytime soon, but once its off the ground I will post it the YWS forums.

~Angel
Last edited by Angel of Death on Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
how to manifest it.

695 Reviews

Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:46 pm
Angel of Death says...

8. I don't think I'll be a writer in this lifetime

My mum says that I'll never finish a book because I'm always starting over or getting new ideas. Ideas which I hardly ever stick with. The Jane Effect is becoming to be very stressful, though I love it and it's characters to pieces, I just think I need to take a break from it, but not for long. I know where I want it to go, I just think the best thing for my book is if I just let it come naturally instead of forcing myself to write.

In the meantime, I want to try to write a YA novel once more. It's called Burning Orchids .

The idea for this story came to in chat. Though it's a hectic place, it's really inspiring. Well anyways, I was going to call it The Tying of Two Nots but then I just liked the sound of Burning Orchids .

Summary: Marlo Green is your average girl. She loves reading, writing, watching the occasional romantic movies, and going out with her friends. The only things that distinguish her from the rest of the girls at Alliance High, is the fact that her mother is a mental patient at a hospital (don't have a name for it yet), she lives with her sometimes eccentric aunt and suicidal outsider cousin Kyle, and she absolutely loathes Joshua Day, the school's jock and prankster. All of the girl's fall head over heals for him but Marlo can not stand him. They've hated each other ever since they were little kids. Through all that is going on in her life, Marlo is just trying to make it out of High School alive. She wants to go to college and get out of the small town and start over in the city. To make sure that she can leave once graduation is over, she works at a small coffee-shop regularly. One day a new customer comes in. He's handsome and seems to be on a mission to write a book. At first Marlo doesn't notice him, until her friends dare her to serve him. She does and then she finds him to be the most intriguing person on earth. His name is Julian Hart and he's an aspiring author. The two talk when they can and soon they meet each other on a regular basis. Marlo's friends are worried about their friendship, but she assures them that they are only friends. But Julian doesn't feel that way, he's taken a liking to Marlo and is set on making her love him. He writes her poetry and buys her gifts (mostly books). Soon, things get out of hand and Marlo's life is turned upside down.

So, hopefully I'll be able to write this and I actually think this is an interesting idea and well, we'll see where this goes.

Ta,

~Angel
how to manifest it.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:48 pm
Sureal says...

My mum says that I'll never finish a book because I'm always starting over or getting new ideas.

You're fourteen. I honestly wouldn't worry about it. I could never stick with a novel beyond the first 2,000 words at your age. ^_^
I wrote the above just for you.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:31 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

Psssh. FIREBRAND was the first book I ever finished. I can't even get through poems most of the time. Don't worry about it. You'll fall madly in love with a novel and it'll pour out of you. Well, mostly. Sometimes it lurches, tears, and slogs out of you too.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

695 Reviews

Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:37 pm
Angel of Death says...

9. Picking up Love again

I haven't wrote in hear in a long long time! But if you ever want to check out what I'm reading or new stories that I'm thinking about writing or just to learn a little bit more about me visit my blog at http://incandescentsun.livejournal.com/

Anyways, I'm thinking about picking up If Love is not Enough again. It has a great plot and plus I just had a spark of inspiration. Which is another thing, when you're writing and you get another idea go with it and don't ignore it, trust me. You'll regret it later. Write as it comes.

More on this later. I'm writing Chapter 3 as we speak!

Ta,

~Angel
how to manifest it.

Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.
— Abraham Lincoln