z

Young Writers Society

A published author (Oooo) speaks

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:26 am
Sohini says...

Meow, I’m Sohini. Well, I got my first book published this January. It’s a compilation of my poems and short stories. I have generously illustrated the book and it’s colourful. Compiling wasn’t easy; I started in October and ended in mid December. The hardest bit was keeping it a secret for all those months but now that it’s finally published, it I am on cloud nine!!

Here’s what I learnt…thought you’d like to share my experience. I have tried to categorize the tips; see if they are of any help…

[color=red]Ready, set, compile![/color]
1. Gather all your works, ALL—I mean it.
2. Select the best ones with thoughtful consideration and lo! You’re all set to get a book done.

[color=green]Revise, Revise, REVISE—You can never get enough of it!![/color]1. Revise your work thoroughly, remember, every letter, ever comma, ever space counts.
2. Look for typographical errors (I make them all the time) and correct them.
3. Keep a revised work aside and take it out again after some days and read it again. Before you know it, new mistakes will soon emerge.
4. Never keep a mistake unmarked, correct it immediately.
5. Always take fresh print-outs after every round of revision; this way it’ll be easier to spot new mistakes from the already-corrected ones.
6. Get professional. It really helps if you can learn the proof-reading symbols.
7. If you’ve revised a piece once, do it for the second time and the third and keep doing it till it’s error-free and don’t forget to update the keep back ups of your soft-copies.
8. If you can, get some expert help. Request your English teacher or anyone with good eyesight, a dictionary and a pen to proof-read out.

[color=indigo]Arrange your work
Be it poems, stories of both the sequence really matters[/color]
1. First impression—for the first piece, be it a poem or a story, make sure it’s one that appeals everyone.
For my first poem, I chose “Where We Belong” and I’m getting a whole lot of nice compliments on it!!
2. Don’t fail to remember the last piece too. It should have a strong impact on your readers.
I chose a story called ‘Devoted Till the End’ and it’s doing a fairly well job too.

[color=orange]Get in touch with your publisher[/color]
1. After your publisher gives you his green signal, consult him about the type and more importantly, the size of pages you’re going to use.

2. Printing is done in multiples of formats. And you know how many pages you need. So, always utilize the pages to the fullest. That means, decide the font style and font size very efficiently.

3. Check the quality of the paper you’re going to use and get sample printout of your text and pictures, if any, and be sure you’re pleased with it.

4. Same goes for cover-page, binding style and the ink.
Be Creative
We all have creative minds, so explore yourself and show-off your creativity in your book!

1. Illustrate your works. Its fun and everyone will appreciate your effort, especially if your book is aimed at young readers.
I am better described as an addictive doodler than an artist. Anyway, my illustrations seem to have worked liked magic and almost everyone who’s seen my book loves them. Yay!!
2. You design your cover page! No one can devise it better. And if you do a good job of it, you’re in for lots a bonanza of compliments.
3. Layout your page in innovative ways.

[color=darkred]Random or Ignorable Tips[/color]

1. There are a lot of handy softwares out there to help you out and being at least a 10 times more tech-savvy than I am, you can handle that bit easier. I used MS Word, Adobe Pagemaker, Photoshop and Corell Draw.

2. If you’re drawing, be certain that the scanned versions look as good (or maybe even better) as the original ones. Re-coulour and re-touch your drawings if necessary.

[color=violet]Things I’ve learnt (I feel wise…read on)[/color]
1. Compiling a book is so much fun! Make it more interesting by keeping it Top Secret. Don’t tell people about it. Work on it unrevealed, get it published and when people least expect (that doesn’t mean the middle of a stormy night though)put on a smug smile and let the cat out of the bag!!
It’s great to watch their reactions.

2. Always remember to preserve your works safely with record of the dates you’ve written them.

3. Never, ever throw away or rip off your work (or your pet alligator, in that matter). No matter how distasteful your work may seem at that point of time, do not; I repeat DO NOT get rid of it. Cause later on, if you ever find a trace of it or recall a fragment of it, the sheer curiosity of what the work actually was can keep you awake for nights and give you nightmares even when you’re not sleeping. Trust me, I know.

4. Ideas have wings and are good at flying away from your mind. So, jot them down anywhere (palm make good substitute notebooks, but see that your ink lasts for some time) immediately.

5. Dedicate your book to someone really special to you. As for me, I dedicated my book to three of my favourite English teachers from school ; they always encourage, inspire and understand me.

6. The dedication is a BIG Secret and do not give it away before the book is released; even if you are offered a stolen Kohinoor diamond as a bribe. Not only will you be spending your days behind the bars then, but you’ll also be breaking an unwritten and holy law of writing books.

7. If you know any author, get in touch with him or her and ask for guidance. I had Mr. Bhagirath Mishra—a famous Bengali writer’s help and of course my father, who has five very successful books published, assisted me in every way. And my mom, bro, grandparents and teachers were helpful too! Hats off to them all!

[color=darkblue]After publishing[/color]
[color=olive]Think you’ve conquered Turkey as soon as your book is out? Well, maybe you have but that’s not the end of your responsibilities…[/color]
1. Get the book have a humble release. I did mine at school and our principal did the unwrapping. It was a grand moment.

2. Tell everyone about your book and instigate them to buy and read your book (offering a stolen diamond in exchange of being a customer is a far-fetched idea though).

3. Write to newspapers and request your book to be reviewed.

4. Present your book to nearby schools and libraries—this is an excellent way of reaching out.

5. Book Fairs—Urge your publisher to exhibit your book at various book fairs—this is your key to the world.

6. Thank the ones who have helped you out, you could write a special acknowledgements page.

Finally…

[color=white]Work hard and Aim for perfection.[/color]The joy of publishing is truly enchanting and definitely addictive—you’ll want to do it again and again.

So…what are you waiting for? Go ahead and all the best!!
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:07 am
Snoink says...

Eep... I told the people that I were dedicating it to them. XD

Yay! A published author! Has it been printed yet?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

368 Reviews

Reviews: 368
Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:03 pm
Shine says...

Yeah it has Snoink and I already read it.

WELL DONE PRINCESS KAT!
"A good plot is like a dream.If you dont write down your dream on paper the moment you wake up,the chances are you'll forget it and it'll be gone forever"-Roald Dalh.

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:43 pm
Cade says...

One question: How did you find your publisher?
Ha, I should be asking my mom this; she's a published poet. I never share my work with her, though. I don't know why. It's just awkward.
Wow, compiling everything and deciding how to lay it all out must be hard. The literary magazine layout at school is really difficult and takes a ton of time. We use Adobe InDesign for it. (Teehee, I'm so pleased, our table of contents now has a painting of a hippo on it.)

Many congratulations!
Colleen
Last edited by Cade on Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:33 am
Wiggy says...

And you're only 15?!?!

Congrats Sohini!!!!! *throws confetti* Are you from India?
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:47 am
Jiggity says...

I do believe she mentioned Turkey, Wiggy, lol. Congrats, Sohini.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:02 am
Sohini says...

Thank ye all.*deep bow*

Wiggy's right, I'm from India ; the Turkey was just a random choice lol and I'm 15.

unfortunately, my book isn't international yet, but it did fairly well here.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:28 pm
Shafter says...

*Applauds enthusiastically*

Yay Sohini!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'm a "published author" too, but only a couple of nonfiction articles which I don't think were very good... ;) Hope to read your book someday!

Cheers, Shafter
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:37 am
Meep says...

Alas, a Google search has failed me.

Is your book available online somewhere? (Amazon.com or sommat?)
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:26 am
Middle Children says...

Were any of the poems published before they were put into the complilation? It sounds like a vanity publishing to me.
We are the middle children of history.

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:17 am
Alteran says...

You can request it from the publisher. It would really help Sohini out to cause if there is a demand worldwide for her book it could push the Publisher to market it worldwide.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

210 Reviews

Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:59 pm
Meep says...

I didn't see a publishing company name, unless I'm missing something. (Which is entirely possible.)

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:48 am
Alteran says...

That's cause it's not written on here. It's called Dey Publishing. Hey Shouldn't Sohini be giving ya'll the low down on this? lol
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

210 Reviews

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:57 am
Meep says...

Do they have a website? (Particularly, do they have a link to information about her book?)
I Google'd "Dey Publishing" but I couldn't find anything. It returned a lot of results, but no mention of Sohini's book. (I also didn't go through all 10+ pages, so maybe I missed something.)

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:55 am
Firestarter says...

Wikipedia to the rescue:

Dey's Publishing, based in West Bengal, India, ranks among the top 5 Bengali publishing houses of India. Dey's Publishing has popular titles from such top-of-the-line Bengali authors as Shankar, Sunil Gangopadhyay, Shirshendu Mukhopadhyay, Prabir Ghosh, Narayan Sanyal and others. Dey's Publishing is led by Sudhangshu Shekhar Dey, who also happens to be the ground convenor of the Kolkata Book Fair. They have a long history of being the 'launchpad' of many authors who are established today. They have hundreds of bestseller titles to their credit, and publish over 150 new titles each year. Dey's Publishing has their main office and wholesale outlet at 13 Bankim Chatterjee Street, Kolkata 700073.

Couldn't find a website.

Anyway, congrats Sohini! Hope it all goes well for you.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

I hate television. I hate it as much as peanuts. But I can't stop eating peanuts.
— Orson Welles