z

Young Writers Society

Mermaid names?

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Tue May 29, 2018 8:47 pm
View Likes
Charm says...

I did one of these a while ago I think but instead of doing a poll I just want some suggestions. Please help me.

I've been outlining my next series for a few months now. I have majority of the names down (the mermaids) but I'm still struggling to find a name for my main character. She lives in Northern California. She's seventeen and she's a demi-mermaid. Her father was a merman and her mother was human. She was raised on land and it isn't until she's seventeen that she discovers she can breathe underwater. I want an ocean related or beachy name but I want it to be an average and something you would hear nowadays. I don't want any mythical sounding names because those are for the mermaids. The name I have for her right now is Sailor but I not a huge fan of word names.

Hey so now there's a poll :b

BTW if this helps she has curly blonde hair and blue eyes. Her romantic interest's name is Marius.
Last edited by Charm on Thu May 31, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue May 29, 2018 9:03 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

Ocean related/beachy names:

- Jules (as a nickname? a reference to Jules Verne and his Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea)
- Maris/Marisa (from Latin "of the sea")
- Lynn (possibly from Welsh for "lake")
- Morgan (maybe "sea circle")
- Morwen/Morwenna ("sea maid" in Cornish according to some sources?)
- Nixie (a water spirit)
- Isla

Uh, there's more, but that's off the top of my head. Lol.
stay off the faerie paths

498 Reviews

Reviews: 498
Tue May 29, 2018 9:11 pm
Que says...

I used to know someone named Marin! So that’s sort of like Marine. Other ones I thought of were Coral or Pearl or Sandy. Uhhh you did say that you didn’t like word names, but these ones seem sort of like someone could actually have that name.

Good luck!
Parlez-vous français?

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Tue May 29, 2018 9:44 pm
PrincessInk says...

Maybe https://www.disneybaby.com/blog/water-b ... -by-water/ might help? My favorite is Nerida, and it means "mermaid", according to the blog.

And there's also Maria, which is similar to the Latin mare, meaning "sea".

And there's another link here: https://wehavekids.com/having-baby/ocea ... baby-names

Hopefully those help.
always daydreaming, always clumsy

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Wed May 30, 2018 12:11 am
Celticmusicgirl says...

Meara which comes from the Irish word "mara" meaning sea
Miren or Moiren meaning "Sea White, Sea Fair" also name of a mermaid in Irish mythology
Meryl or Muriel meaning "Bright as the sea"
hope these help
"No life is forever. We found and fought here. We loved and died here... The crops whither and the bones of hunger walk the sunken roads... The land has failed us... In dance and song we gift and mourn our children. They carry us over the ocean in dance and song.
-American Wake by Riverdance

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Wed May 30, 2018 12:57 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I voted for Meredith, mainly because I know that there's a Meredith or two in my school. If you want a normal name that has a cool meaning, I think that's your best option!
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

277 Reviews

Wed May 30, 2018 1:39 am
Charm says...

I removed some names from the poll because either a) I already have a character in another series with the same name or b) It just doesn't fit the character's personality. Please vote again so I can see which name I should go with! Sorry if one of the names you wanted is gone :c

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Wed May 30, 2018 2:30 am
Hattable says...

Steve

Lana
"I remember I posted Klingon and it made the mods super hard" -Willard

Prok once said something about Nate and apple pie. I forget the context.

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Wed May 30, 2018 2:20 pm
TheBlueCat says...

I can't think of any names off the top of my head, but I do recall a name generator for mermaids. Maybe that can help?

Out of your options, I like Lana the best c:
Unofficial Blue Cat of YWS =^-^=
she/her please <3

277 Reviews

Thu May 31, 2018 4:25 pm
Charm says...

It was a tie between Meredith and Lana. I ended up going with Meredith. The meaning behind the name fits the story so well. "Guardian of the sea" like wow the title to book 3 is called Guardian of Atlantis (although that could change).

*gestures in butterfly meme*
— BluesClues