z

Young Writers Society

Where do YWSers come from? Nov. 15 to Dec. 15 2013 edition

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:59 pm
View Likes
Big Brother says...

Ever wondered where YWSers come from? Here's the map of all visits to the site from November 15 to December 15 2013:

Some big takeaways:
- A lot more YWSers coming from continental Europe. Two years ago, the number of YWSers coming from here was practically nil. Today, more visitors come from continental Europe than from Canada or Australia (the 3rd and 4th top countries on YWS respectively). Scandinavia in particularly has been a very strong source of growth for YWS this year. For Europe as a whole, though, the strongest source of growth has been Ireland.

- YWS now gets more than triple the number of visits from Western Africa, and Nigera in particular, as it did just six months ago. Nigeria just recently cracked the top 20 countries on YWS, and it is very quickly climbing the ranks.

- South America continues its nearly decade-long passive aggressive attitude toward YWS with still almost no visitors from that part of the globe. Surprisingly, the site actually gets pretty decent traffic from Central America and the Caribbean.

- Traffic from Australia has fallen by 16% since June this year. This fall is entirely concentrated in New South Wales and the Capital Territory. Excluding NSW and the ACT, traffic from Australia is up by 40%.

- Traffic from the USA has fallen by 2% since June this year. This fall is chiefly due to large decreases in traffic from New York and Maryland, and smaller decreases in Georgia and North Carolina. Excluding these four states, traffic is up by 10% on average elsewhere, with very large increases in California, Texas, and Florida.

- Traffic from London continues to grow strongly. Since June, London traffic has grown by 20%.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:17 pm
Auxiira says...

Are those some people in northern France? *can't see* I've converted some in the south of France...
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:24 pm
Nate says...

YWS has gotten some visits from northern France, but most of these visits appear to be the result of random Google searches. Most active French YWSers seem to come from the three regions that border Spain.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:42 pm
View Likes
Auxiira says...

Yes, I win! Hehe, sorry... >.> Midi-Pyrenées, Gers, and the one next door, yeah. Big English community down here.
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:54 pm
View Likes
deleted5 says...

We have members from north Korea people! O_o
I AM YOUR GOD. -AlexSushiDog
Checkmate Atheists.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:17 am
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

I'm so happy Ireland is finally getting its hey day although that's probably due to people like @Letiki and @Alpha, amirite you guys?

I wonder who the current active member in Finland is, since our favourite Finn is not there at the moment...

I love these things! Thanks, Nate :)
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:53 am
Nate says...

Not quite North Korea, Alex! That'd be South Korea. Interestingly enough, North Korea is one of only a small handful of countries for which there has never been a single recorded visit to YWS (the others being Gabon, the Congo Republic, Central African Republic, and Equatorial Guinea).

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:18 pm
View Likes
Lava says...

It's interesting to see India is not just sporadic spots anymore. Plus, is that a big blob over Chennai? Thanks to @dutifulwriter and @Dreamy! Guh. @murtuza should come back.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:42 pm
deleted5 says...

Mwhahahaha, Canada is falling under the banner of YWS!
I AM YOUR GOD. -AlexSushiDog
Checkmate Atheists.

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:20 pm
lostthought says...

Darn my fellow Americans. You betray me so.
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:29 pm
View Likes
Demeter says...

WOOOOO GO FINLAND!

I'm so proud of Finland and I'm not even there now!
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:10 pm
Snoink says...

We probably shouldn't have invaded Russia... They don't seem to like us very much. :(
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:53 am
Sylar says...

Good ol' America.

No, wait. I hate America.

Bad ol' America. :smt019
A SURPRISE PARTY

FOR ME

YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-6cunaBd7A)

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:05 am
Laure says...

G'day, mates from downunder. Is good to see ya here.

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:50 pm
EnigmaticSpirit says...

England. The most miserable, sarcastic and grumpy nation to walk this planet.
Words cut deeper than knives.

Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.
— Samuel Butler