z

Young Writers Society

Heritage

162 Reviews

Reviews: 162
Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:55 pm
nickelpickle says...

What heritage is everyone? I am mostly Native American and italian, so very dark skin.

nikki
"There's a light at each end of this tunnel,
You shout 'cause you're just as far in as you'll ever be out
And these mistakes you've made, you'll just make them again
If you only try turning around."

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:56 pm
Firestarter says...

White British. Boring.

Although my family name (Dent) is from Normandy, France, obviosuly brought over in the invasion of 1066. I am partially related to the Scottish Royal Family through the fleeing Bonnie Prince Charlie...though lots of people probably are. My gran was born in India and my uncle and aunt born in Trinidad and Tobago.

Basically I'm boring and normal/
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:29 am
Bobo says...

Are you related to Arthur Dent? :roll:

Anyways, I guess I'm kind of a mix of a ton of stuff, but basically just European heritage. And why is being British white boring? Are you saying that British white people aren't as good as being black or from Germany or something like that?

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:32 am
View Likes
Perra says...

Ooooo, a heritage thread! :twisted: :twisted: I have much I could tell about my geneology! Just ask Crysi, Delo, Tara, Mesh, and Arvy. But, I'll spare you and save the history for later right now!

I'm Swiss, German, Canadian Indian, French Canadian(meaning I'm also regular French), English, Scotch-Irish, Welsh, and some possible African-American(due to untracable roots in Louisianna.) Think that's it.
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:35 am
Firestarter says...

And why is being British white boring? Are you saying that British white people aren't as good as being black or from Germany or something like that?

I never suggested that. It's just less interesting. Most people have some interesting ancestors, I don't.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:45 am
View Likes
Incandescence says...

White anglo-saxon whose ancestors descended from Great Britain in the 1600s.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:52 am
Nate says...

Mine's all mixed up. The family name (Caldwell) is from Scotland and I am able to draw a direct bloodline from me to my ancestors going back into the 1600's, but I wouldn't call myself Scottish. I have Italian blood in me, Irish, French, a little dab of Native-American, and a whole slew of others.

So, in the end, my heritage is just American.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:54 am
Meshugenah says...

hehe, you asked this, remember! (and yes perra, we know! lol jk jk)
anglo-saxon (well i think, mid 1700's ancestor came to america from a small port town in england, that's all i know for sure), german, french, russian, polish, ukraine(ian?) (basically all eastern european countries) and sweedish. i think. and we think one of my ancestors on my dad's side signed the decleration of independence (right name, right time, right age, location.. lol) i think i'm forgetting a country here... :roll:

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:21 am
View Likes
Skye says...

My dad's family is 100% Irish traced back 5 or 6 generations or so by my grandfather. He said he couldn't go further because the British burned the records, or something. My mom's great-grandmother came to the U.S. at about my age through Ellis Island. My other great-grandparents immigrated from the Czech Republic and Germany.

So in a nutshell I'm mostly Irish with a bit of Czech and German. I was raised American though. Not quite sure how I feel about that. :?
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:19 am
View Likes
niteowl says...

I am half Greek, 1/4 Austrian, and 1/4 Irish. As far as I know that's it.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:01 am
View Likes
Willow says...

Mine's not as complicated. My father's Dutch (immigrated when he was small) and my mother is South African born and bred. Although, since almost all white South Africans basically came from the Netherlands, I'm probably Dutch all around.
Wait, I'll ask my mum ...
*stands up and yells to her mother*
Okay no, my (real) great grandfather was French, so I think I'm like 75% Dutch and 25% French or something. :D
My life is a broken stair
Winding down a ruined tower
and leading no where

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:09 pm
View Likes
QiGuaiGongFu says...

well... here goes
my father's side is scotish and native. we hail back from the MacNaughten clan in Scotland, which was the rulling class.... until they were forced to flee to brittain and take a different name. At some point, a white woman in my family married a charoke, i dont know his name, he was put down as a question mark in the family tree, and he took the brides name instead of keeping his own.

my mothers side is probably polish, but we arent sure. her grandfather was a traveling circus clown (no joke) and he would never say where he was from, just that he was an american now.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:18 pm
View Likes
dreaming_mouse says...

I'm half Irish :D I find it really cool how I'm the first female generation from my mums side of the family to be born in England (she was born in Ireland) and my dad's side have recently come to England too they came here about 50-60yrs ago so I'm 1/2 Irish, 1/4 Scottish and 1/4 English, I'm prob a bit more Scottish than English but hey lol :D

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:00 pm
View Likes
Perra says...

Meshugenah wrote:hehe, you asked this, remember! (and yes perra, we know! lol jk jk)

Hehe. :twisted: Now I think everyone else should know! :twisted: But it's a lot to rewrite, so I'm gonna copy, paste, and edit.*cough*lazy*cough* :roll:

According to my grandmother, I am a direct, illegitimate decendant of King John I, son of Henry II and Elanor of Anquitaine, brother of Richard the Lionharted. Also the king who was one of the bad guys in the Robin Hood legend, and who was forced to sign the Magna Carta. I'm related to Edward the Black Prince of Wales and Dark King(forgot what number he was, I also don't know exactly how I'm related, just quoting grandmother). Down the line, I'm related to Sir Thomas Wyatt, the Elder, who was a member of King Henry VIII's court, an ambassador, a poet that land down tracks for Shakespeare, and may be found in your encyclopedia. His son, Sir Thomas Wyatt, the younger, was a cousin of Anne Boleyn(mother of Queen Elizabeth I, who I had a fasination with before I even knew I was related to her), led a revolt against Queen Mary I(Bloody Marry,) which failed and got him locked up in the Tower of London(which Henry II built), and was beheaded. Or hanged. Can't remember which. On a non-British side, one branch of my family in Switzerland/Germany had councilmans, bailiffs, a very influencial man, a castle, knights(at least one who went on a Crusade,) and one was Baron Christophe DeGraffenried, who, I believe, was a Baron of Austria, and, as a fact, founded NewBern, North Carolina in 1719(if my grandmother's dates are right). There's more, I've got a few pages of ancestry my grandmother gave me. According to her, once you're related to one royalty, you're related to all, and I might have some relation to a Russian Princess!

Now, on my dad's side of the family, my family owned some of the tea that was thrown overboard by "Indians" in the Boston Tea Party. During the Civil War, one of my ancestors picked up the rebel flag after the flag carrier was shot and took it to the top of the hill they were supposed to capture in Picket's Charge, during the battle of Gettysburg. While on that hill, he was shot, and some people say that the moment that the Confederate flag was dropped turned the tide of the Civil War. He survived, and something happened, like Ohioans(we were Virginians) sent us the flag, and we are ok with Ohio people now. Kinda explains why I wouldn't mind going up there..... My great-grandfather met Paton in WWII, and my great Aunts were born in the Phillopenes(sp?) and Hawaii, and one on an island that no longer exists! Don't know were Granddaddy was born....

That's all I know right now. I know that, on my mom's side, we owned a bank, were very powerful in a town, and got a street named after us or something....
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:08 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

Wow that's really quite cool. One thing - it's Richard the Lionheart, not Lionharted!

The most important service rendered by the press and the magazines is that of educating people to approach printed matter with distrust.
— Samuel Butler