z

Young Writers Society

Guys...

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:22 pm
View Likes
Sam says...

Hey I don't mean to beg but for the last couple days I've been going around like critiquing fiend, trying to read everybody's everything...and I have one story I'd like someone to go over in the 'Other stories' section and it hasn't been critted...I'm not quite sure about it. I know this post is probably clogging but I just need help...it's the untitled one.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

665 Reviews

Reviews: 665
Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:36 pm
Chevy says...

I don't read stories because I just don't like them...but I will read yours upon your request.

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:42 pm
View Likes
Morran says...

A lot of the stories don't get critiqued as much as the poetry does, I think, because stories require a time and thought investment above and beyond a poem that takes a minute long to read.

It's disappointing for people that primarily don't write poetry - like myself - because then we don't get as much feedback. And when people don't get feedback, they are less likely to want to give feedback. I understand it's a give-and-take thing, but there has to be some kind of valuable exchange for it to work.

This is why it's easy for poetry. It doesn't take much for that exchange to happen.

1258 Reviews

Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:46 pm
View Likes
Sam says...

Morran you ROCK...I totally agree with you! and it's a lot harder to write stories...poetry just comes to you, I guess, stories don't.

- Demetri Martin

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:58 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

Morran, I totally know how you feel. I have posted eight chapters of The Sun Prophet, and lost people by about the third chapter or less. This does not give me great confidence to keep writing, it they lose interest so easily. It is porbably cos it is a massive chunk of writing, but just a note saying they'd read it would be enough for me. I write some poetry, and I'm glad that gets looked at quickly. I know what you mean about give-and-take, sometimes I just don't feel like giving reviews because it's not likely for me to get them back, which can be very annoying.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

1258 Reviews

Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:10 pm
View Likes
Sam says...

where is it? I'll read...if you read mine *lol*

- Demetri Martin

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:18 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

What's yours called, Sam? And what section?

The Sun Prophet chapters can be found in Fantasy, if you want to read them.
Be warned, there's eight chapters.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

1258 Reviews

Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:21 pm
View Likes
Sam says...

It's something like New Story- Need Title
Of course, I'm sam..it's in Other Stories section. :D I'll get to the Sun Prophet right away!

- Demetri Martin

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:23 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

I'll read yours, then, too! I have time on my hands.

1258 Reviews

Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:29 pm
View Likes
Sam says...

second snowday in a row...got time on my hands too obviously!

- Demetri Martin

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:58 pm
View Likes
Morran says...

Firestarter wrote:I know what you mean about give-and-take, sometimes I just don't feel like giving reviews because it's not likely for me to get them back, which can be very annoying.

Exactly my thoughts, too.

Though since you both are in need of reviews, tell ya what - I'll check out your stuff, then.

It would be cool to have a (small? medium-sized?) group of people that are all comitted to reading each others' work - instead of just throwing it out there and hoping it gets done. That way, people are responsible, and it ensures that you will both give and get critiques. And that if you don't give, you don't get.

It's a thought, ne?

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:00 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

Good idea. I'll go see your stuff too, okay? As long as it's not too long, lol.

Just kidding ya.

I like the idea though.

1258 Reviews

Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:35 pm
View Likes
Sam says...

Cool! all my stuff is in 'other stories', firestarter's is in 'fantasy'. That would be awesome!

- Demetri Martin

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:34 am
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

I'll read everyone's stuff when i get a chance! or (if it's ok with the author) i'l lprint it out and then critique.. limited online time if my brother's home.. gah) but i agree, it's give and take. firestarter, i started reading yours! i got though 2 chapters, i think, and *grumbles* someone kicked me off the computer... I'm off to read now! :D
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:47 am
View Likes
Bobo says...

I'll check both of those stories out. I have a strange habit of trying to post more than read here. Oh, and by the way, check out Boundless in the Fantasy section.

The man who never makes a mistake always takes orders from one who does.
— Anonymous