z

Young Writers Society

The apocalypse!

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:04 pm
jenni321 says...

My friend just emailed this article about the predicted 'apocalypse' in 2012. I'd be surprised if you haven't heard of it, but for those who don't know: The Mayans, pretty much the astrology masters, had calenders that didn't go past December 21, 2012, something to do with the sun, it's complicated, causing the end of the world as we know it. Right. I think they even had some guy on the Today Show talking about how to survive the end of the world. I'm just concerned about school, I graduate in 2012... So why apply to college, right? It's a long standing joke in my grade, when we get to 12th grade, our Senior Prank would have to be good. I mean, It'll be one of the last pranks, right? Seeing that we're all gonna die... :shock:

Jenni
On a scale of 1 to Random, I'm pretty ADHD.

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:42 pm
thething912 says...

I'm not so sure if I believe in that. There has been other stories about the end of the World that turned out to be about something totally different.
Check out my website for my Photography.

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:44 am
myfreindsavamp says...

Hey, you never know. *Shrug*
We've all been broken in some way. It's just how we express it that makes us dffrent form eachother.

“This precious book of love, this unbound lover,
To beautify him only lacks a cover.”
~William Shakespeare, The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:04 am
Angel of Death says...

I heard about this when I was in school. Really I think its all smoke and mirrors because the world was also predicted to end around World War II but really it didn't and now...okay maybe something big might happen but that's only because the environment is in such bad shape. Overall, Mayan calenders weren't that much helpful because it was all based on guessing and oh wait I don't know that for sure...but if the world ends in 2012 then life is pretty slow right now. I should be going to college (wait screw college) I should be going to millions of parties and dancing the night away! Well anyways, the worlds not going to end in 2012 it might just disintegrate or something. 8)
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:32 am
thunder_dude7 says...

Oh, yeah. Supposedly, the world will end on December 21, 2012. Wait...wouldn't it make more sense and go together more if it were 2112?

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:30 am
Tatra says...

Also, the calendar had to end at some point, right? There's even a limit to the dates you can switch your computer to, doesn't mean that the world will end at that point. I think that this is basically like Y2K, the same panic over dates.

Now, I'll be keeping my eye on 2010, there's still time for the military to reveal the true existence of the Stargate... :D
Some people fall in love and touch the sky.
Some people fall in love and find Quicksand.

- Incubus

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:42 am
Teague says...

People, you do realize that time (dates included) were man-made?

So of course we predict our own apocalypse, and think that somehow the world will magically explode that day. It's not going to happen; and on the really off chance it does, we'll have warnings. Entire civilizations do not just go poof.

The Mayans lived thousands of years ago. They mispredicted the future -- hey, back in the '60s, they thought this decade would be a real-life Jetsons replica. It happens all the time.

Sorry to be a bit snappy. This whole crock is getting on my nerves. xD

-:pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:49 am
BigBadBear says...

Wait...wouldn't it make more sense and go together more if it were 2112?

Because God doesn't want to wait that long to kill us all.

-Jared
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:12 am
Alteran says...

You might want to rephrase that Saint. Dates and clocks to keep track of time are man made, but time itself is just the natural flow of all objects to move forward.

I'm pretty sure the Mayans were pretty advanced in there mathematics for the time period. I know they were using some sort of equation to generate their calendar. And who knows why it ends when it does. Maybe they ran out of stone, maybe they were killed by the Spaniards before they could finish.

But overall, what difference does it make. Just live your lives. If the world ends tomorrow big deal. It doesn't do anyone any good to think about it.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:25 am
Teague says...

Adam_Atlantian wrote:You might want to rephrase that Saint. Dates and clocks to keep track of time are man made, but time itself is just the natural flow of all objects to move forward.

Time is only linear for engineers and referees. ;)

"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:36 am
Snoink says...

Saint Razorblade wrote:
Adam_Atlantian wrote:You might want to rephrase that Saint. Dates and clocks to keep track of time are man made, but time itself is just the natural flow of all objects to move forward.

Time is only linear for engineers and referees. ;)

Not fair! Engineers still have to take math courses which tell us everything about dimensions and everything. Just... the only difference is we actually get to do interesting stuff besides theorizing all day. :P
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:04 am
Matt Bellamy says...

I second Saint - we decide what dates belong to which day, how does the world know that it's supposed to end at that specific time?
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:25 am
Prosithion says...

People have been predicting that the world would end for thousands of years. Granted, the Mayans were extremely advanced in their calenders, but remember that they were a very religious people. The "end of the world" for them might have been religious or psychological, not necessarily based in reality.

I guess we'll find out in four years, eh?
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:06 am
Alteran says...

Maybe It's the date the Aliens will come back and take us all away! (I'm kidding...mostly.)
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:43 am
LowKey says...

Link1
Link2
Link3

Dec. 21 2012 marks the end of the cycle, where all their day names and month names and everything come full circle. You need to keep in mind that their calendar isn't like ours. They didn't have a steady pattern of seven day names and seven days in a week. They had twenty day names and thirteen days. If "Imix" was day one, then "Ix" would be number thirteen. Instead of starting over with Imix as number one again, they kept turning the wheels. So "Men" would be number one the next time around (see link 3). To complicate things a bit more, they also had more month names then they had month numbers (18 numbers, 20 months, I think)(See link 1). Combine that with their days, and you've got something that will take a while to come full circle. Think of those Spirograph toys you used to get as a kid. After so long, you'd just start tracing over the same lines again. You start repeating the cycle.

If you look at their calendar system, you'll find that a Spirograph is a pretty accurate description.

In short, I don't think the world will end in 2012. I think it's the end of a cycle.

If nothing else, they had to stop sometime, right?
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

"While we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one."
— Albus Dumbledore