z

Young Writers Society

Wall-E

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:21 pm
Theo Hart says...

Pixar is 9 for 9.

I saw it last week, and again two days ago, and my goodness... It may be the best film Pixar's made thus far. Incredible. It actually had me tearing up 'round the end (for unspecified spoilery reasons), which is a rarity for me.

Also, more romantic than the majority of actual romantic films. Great date film.

PS--I'm surprised to not find a thread on this already.

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:24 pm
Night Mistress says...

I liked the movie. i saw it last friday.

i like that it had romance and wall-e taught everyone to be themselve.

but there was also a message in there too.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:39 pm
Cade says...

I know, like buckets of political commentary...but that doesn't get in the way of the story, which is important for the little kids.

I thought it was the darn cutest thing.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:15 pm
Clo says...

I saw this yesterday and loved it to pieces. The storyline was just phenomenal - better than the rest of these godawful CG films coming out lately. Or most films coming out lately, actually.

With Wall-E himself and the storyline, this is definitely something to see. I'm actually thinking of buying it when it comes out on DVD. =)
How am I not myself?

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:01 am
gyrfalcon says...

It's amazing--I truly loved it!

I know, like buckets of political commentary...but that doesn't get in the way of the story, which is important for the little kids.

Actually, according to an interview, the director was not going for a social commentary--he wanted Earth trashed because A) that gave Wall-E a bottom-of-the-totem-pole job and B) you don't have to explain what he's doing. Also, he said that he wasn't trying to comment on obesity with the humans, he just wanted them to seem like babies.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:30 am
Lil Dono says...

The actual animation was astounding and I admit, I "awwww'd". It was fascinating how the characters (even the little ones) could have so much personality when there was so little voice acting.

Still, I did get a bit bored but it was still worth the watch.

Eve FTW.

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:56 am
Sleeping Valor says...

As depressing as some poeople found it with it's 'political message' (aka: my aunt), I personally LOVED the movie. it was cute, it was funny, and I honestly didn't read too much into the 'message' because I personally like to think that fiction is fiction. Sides, I was distracted by the awesomeness of it. XD
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:07 am
Bittersweet says...

I really liked the surface of it. It was adorable and great for kids. Things that made it less enjoyable:

-All the trash propaganda. Oh, it's all our fault that Earth is a pile of crap! That's far too political (and quite frankly ridiculous) for a children's movie, even if they don't understand it.

-Even if the guy was trying to make us humans like babies... uh, why babies? Why must we all act like little infants? Your reason for the obesity, gryfalcon, does not make it justified or anything. Anyway, the humans were totally stupid and incredibly fat and hopeless. I'm sorry, but how can anyone stand to see that crap on the big screen? How can you stand to see the human race degraded like that? We should be proud of who we are! It's almost like there's no hope for us the way that movie makes it out to be. That honestly sickens me.

-And there were a bajillion loud, screaming kids running around shouting "Waaaaalllll-EEEEEh!" which was terribly unenjoyable.

Anyway, those things really ruined it for me.
eviscerate your fragile frame
spill it out in ragged form
a thousand different versions of yourself.

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:58 am
Cade says...

Bittersweet wrote:-Even if the guy was trying to make us humans like babies... uh, why babies? Why must we all act like little infants? Your reason for the obesity, gryfalcon, does not make it justified or anything. Anyway, the humans were totally stupid and incredibly fat and hopeless. I'm sorry, but how can anyone stand to see that crap on the big screen? How can you stand to see the human race degraded like that?

Because it's funny.

I mean, I recognize the political commentary, but it's important not to take it too seriously. :)
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:48 pm
Perra says...

I loved Wall-E!

I didn't see a whole lot of political commentary in it, mainly because it didn't have it's own arch, conclusion, or focus. What I did notice was how almost everyone Wall-E came into contact with gained sentience. To me, the message of the movie was to live life and enjoy it. Favorite quote: "I don't want to survive, I want to live!"

Also, any movie that makes me sympathize with a cockroach is good in my book. I gasped rather loudly when Wall-E accidentally first ran over the roach.
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:20 pm
Clo says...

Haha. In defense of Wall-E, let's compare it to Happy Feet:

Wall-E and Happy Feet both had political messages and what not. Wall-E's, on the other hand, was basically unaddressed throughout the movie. It was there, it was the foundation of the plot, but nobody ever talked about it. If we felt free to ignore it for the romance, we could. It was actually very easy to ignore. I didn't pay one hoot to anything that could be a message as I sat there in the theatre snackin' on my popcorn.

Happy Feet, on the other hand, addressed the political issues. "Ohhh my god, these poor penguins! Humans, we need to do something! Everybody look! Ohhh jeez, where have all the fish gone? Is it because of humans, for shizzy, it is!"

Happy Feet annoyed me.

Wall-E was much more carefree. Just plain enjoyable.
How am I not myself?

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:45 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

I'm continually surprised by how much people read into these kinds of things. Harry Potter, WALL-E...Not Happy Feet, though, because that was about as subtle as a drunk elephant...

Because the only thing that came to my mind in the theater was that Buy'N'Large was a definite codename for what Wal-Mart could become if left alone. Other than that -- the baby-like adults were goofily amusing, the robots glompable and yes, I gasped when the cockroach was rolled over. xD WALL-E is probably the only romance story that didn't make me squirm. Nerdy (but totally, adorably innocent) robot love ftw!
ohmeohmy

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:48 pm
Theo Hart says...

Bittersweet wrote:-All the trash propaganda. Oh, it's all our fault that Earth is a pile of crap! That's far too political (and quite frankly ridiculous) for a children's movie, even if they don't understand it.

-Even if the guy was trying to make us humans like babies... uh, why babies? Why must we all act like little infants? Your reason for the obesity, gryfalcon, does not make it justified or anything. Anyway, the humans were totally stupid and incredibly fat and hopeless. I'm sorry, but how can anyone stand to see that crap on the big screen? How can you stand to see the human race degraded like that? We should be proud of who we are! It's almost like there's no hope for us the way that movie makes it out to be. That honestly sickens me.

Can I say, fiction and calm down? Anyone can treat the human race in any way they wish, as long as it's fictional. The medium is cool like that. If you don't like it, don't watch. And if enough people don't watch, it won't be profitable, and Pixar won't make movies. Yea for Capitalism.

[Philosophy]And, yes, I can stand to see it. Yes, I can stand to see the human race degraded like that. Why? Because humanity has faults and foibles--innumerable ones. And when a movie, or book (1984, Brave New World, Fahrenheit 451, etc...) attempts to show those faults, it's like a shrub being shown what will happen to it if it isn't pruned. Not to say that all dystopian media is true, but it's worth taking a look at.[/Philosophy]

Actually, It sounds as if you didn't see the movie at all or left in the middle, as it ends with [spoiler]a big ol' heapin' of hope--humanity thin, supple, and independent.[/spoiler]

In my opinion, the whole morbidly obese thing, a trashed Earth, and not-so-subtle references to Wall-mart, are about Consumerism. The movie is about philosophy, not the environment. Everything revolves around Consumerism in this film: food out the wazzoo, the use of robots for everything imaginable--even walking, our cute robot friend was, at one point, a consumer item, etc... I could go on.

The theme is three-fold: The innate nature and importance of Love, The dangers of a Consumer Culture, and the necessity of Free Will. (Not Free Willy)

For me, I didn't get any psycho-ultra-liberal-you're-all-gonna-die-if-you-don't-make-a-compost-pile-in-your-back-pocket vibes from this film. (If you want that, watch Bee Movie...)

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:20 pm
gyrfalcon says...

In my opinion, the whole morbidly obese thing, a trashed Earth, and not-so-subtle references to Wall-mart, are about Consumerism. The movie is about philosophy, not the environment.

I totally agree. And I believe humanity was represented as babies (which, by the way, we all were at one time, so how is this degrading?) to show us how helpless we can become when we live in absolute comfort--something that a lot of people strive for these days.

[Philosophy]The director's actually a Christian, and he referenced a verse in Hebrews that talks about 'young' Christians needing spiritual milk, not solid food--exactly like the 'food-inna-cup' in the movie.[/Philosophy]
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:31 pm
Gahks says...

Haven't seen it yet. But it looks cute.
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

Every really new idea looks crazy at first.
— Alfred North Whitehead