40%
I could never choose!
10%

Total votes : 10

Random avatar

Reviews: 328
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:08 am
deleted30 says...

For those of you familiar with the American coasts, which is your preference between the East and West? Personally, I was born on the West Coast and primarily raised there, but I also had kind of a bicoastal upbringing and I'm attending college on the East Coast now, so my feelings are... complicated.

There's a lot about California, Oregon and Washington that warms my heart, butttt I love New York so, so much—possibly more than all the West Coast states combined? I'm tempted to vote East Coast for NY alone, but, tbh, I feel mostly agonistic about the other East Coast states—I've never been to Georgia, Florida, Delaware (has anybody been to Delaware?), Virginia, the Carolinas, or Maryland; I think Connecticut and Massachusetts are charming, but also grating in that very New England sort of way; and the remaining states I haven't really formed any kind of meaningful bond with. Ultimately, it's difficult for me to choose a favorite.

But what about you? If you were raised in one of these regions, do you automatically vote for the coast you grew up on? Or are you a two-timing traitor like me who loves both? Do you think one is prettier/more culturally exciting/has better food/has better weather? And, of course: East Coast or West Coast rap?
Last edited by deleted30 on Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:24 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

I grew up in the midwest but spent many spring breaks in Florida with my family. Now my brother lives in NYC, so I've also been there many times. I've been all up and down the east coast many times and have fond memories there! I think my favorite though on the east coast is North Carolina! I also love DC!

I've only been to the west coast twice (Seattle and LA). Don't get me wrong, I loved it and I hope to spend a lot more time on the west coast! I have a friend who lives in southern California and her daily beach pictures make me very jealous :p

I now live in the eastern midwest, so the east coast is a lot more accessible to me then the west coast. I can get to an Atlantic Ocean beach in an 11-12 hour drive. The west coast? I'd have to fly.

But I think the west coast might be prettier than the east coast. Northern California/Oregon/Washington, I mean, you can't beat it!! I've just never really experienced it first hand. I wouldn't be surprised if I flipped once I've spent more time out west. :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

311 Reviews

Reviews: 311
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:37 pm
Riverlight says...

Note: I am biased in the fact that I'm from the South, around the TN-AL border.

Arguably, the East Coast is by far superior due to its combination of European-esque (New England), agro-urban (former Middle Colonies), and Southern cultures. The blended heritages these three distinct cultures bring forth has-- to some degree-- defined America as a whole abroad. From the beach-goers of Florida to the lostermen and -women of Maine, the East coast has something the West Coast does not have enough of:

Variety.

(And, no, I'm not just referring to people.)

When people think of the West Coast, they see themselves sitting on the beach in California, sipping a mocktail, taking in the sun

When people think of the East Coast... Lord, where do I begin? Lobster in Maine, the great cities of Boston and New York, the historical places scattered from New Jersey to the Carolinas, the Hermitage in Tennessee (I'm never leaving this place)--

We've got it all.

From Manhattan to St. Louis, from Memphis to D.C., from (eastern) New Orleans to Miami, we've got just about everything you could dream of and more. What's the West Coast got that we don't? Oh, wait, that's right-- it's a hundred degrees on Christmas Day.

The East, though?

*leans in closely*

We've got Yanks, rednecks, and everything in between.
The politics of the world may be corrupt, but that does not mean that we must be corrupted ourselves.

This is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper.
— T.S. Eliot