z

Young Writers Society

Does the Olympic Stadium in Beijing really look like this?

Do you like the 2008 Olympics stadium?

Yes
63%
No
38%

Total votes : 32

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:15 pm
Firestarter says...

I've always liked it.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:10 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

I think it's kind of neat. I like the busyness. :D
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:54 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Yeah, I think it's nice - very naturalistic.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:58 pm
Blink says...

I like it, but a bit predictable :)

:smt102
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:02 pm
Demeter says...

There is some pathetic absurdness that fascinates me.
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:54 pm
Theo Hart says...

Yeah, I've gotta' agree that the design looks too busy. (Probably looks better in person, though--not as a wee' little "Jay-Peg")

Love the cube, though.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:41 am
Nate says...

Heh, I'm not so sure if the stadium would look better in person. I think the image I supplied is a photoshopped image as it's an official picture. Images supplied by major media outlets look very different due to the air pollution.

Anyhow, it definitely looks like I'm in a minority! But I wanted to clear up one thing; when I said Chinese architecture, I wasn't talking about stuff like dragons. Anybody who thinks traditional Chinese architecture is all about dragons needs to think again.

What I really dislike is all the glitz. I don't like glamour, and I don't like glitz. It's the sport that should be paramount, not the building that it is housed in.

EDIT:

Here are some non-photoshopped images ;)
Attachments
beijing_national2.jpg
beijing_national2.jpg (23.57 KiB) Viewed 114 times
beijing_national1.jpg
beijing_national1.jpg (28.65 KiB) Viewed 114 times

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:55 am
Lynlyn says...

That said, the top of it is kind of ugly. It reminds me of an avocado for some reason. Why spend all that money on something that's only going to be seen from aerial views? (And whose money is this anyway?)
"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." - G. B. Shaw
Lynlyn's Magical Critique Emporium - request a review here.

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:07 am
Meep says...

I saw them building it last year, and yup, that's what it looks like. I've heard people call it the "bird's nest," and for good reason. I wasn't able to get very close, but it does look pretty cool in person from what I saw (though they hadn't finished it yet).

I'm not surprised they went with ultramodern instead of traditional; they're trying to show the world that they're a modern nation, not a country stuck in the past. They're moving forward, which is kind of a big thing for China; they've spent most of their modern history looking back.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.
— Neil Gaiman