z

Young Writers Society

Exchange - America or UK?

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:27 pm
gyrfalcon says...

*joins Clau, chants* SAINT-LOU-IS! SAINT-LOU-IS! Come to St. Louie, Jig! We love aussies here! (at least, bird and clau do)
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:39 pm
Emerson says...

There are lots of college here... Gyr, does Truman accept foreign students?
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

440 Reviews

Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:56 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Ohyez! We have good writing program as well! COME TO TRUMAN, JIG!!!!!!!!!
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:42 pm
Poor Imp says...

Oy, to San Diego, Jig - the university is excellent, you know, and SD's a good city to be a foreigner in. ^_^ Not to mention, the Imp's currently in Southern California. ^_~

IMP
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:43 pm
Kylan says...

Did you mention Oregon?

Go there. The scenery is excellent. Can't say much for the schools themselves though, seeing as I've never been.

But if you truly want America, go to one of the bigger schools. You might like it more.

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

316 Reviews

Reviews: 316
Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:19 am
whence says...

Go SacState. oh, acronym assistance:

UC = University of California

CSU = California State University

SF = San Francisco
The good parts of a book may be only something a writer is lucky enough to overhear or it may be the wreck of his whole damn life — and one is as good as the other.
Ernest Hemingway

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:31 am
Snoink says...

Jiggity wrote:Stop beguiling me with your vaired offers!! *sobs wildly*

It seems to be a choice of Dono or Cal - I wonder who I could bludge more off lmao? Which of them could support my crazy aussieness and off-the-wall random touristy questions?

Hmm... My choice will be made on cost lol.

I'm also by Dono. And Grif too. Also, Cal's moving up here soon? *muses*
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:49 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

Meshugenah wrote:*pokes Kelle* aren't you going to a CSU in NorCal next year, though? I want to say SF, but I'm not positive...

Yeah, I'm going to San Francisco State next year.

Fun times, eh?

:D
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:52 am
Jiggity says...

Lol, St.Louis has a cheer squad, haha. Truman, you say? I must check this out.

Snoink, you mean theres a whole group to bludge off? Awesome.

So much expense though hahaha, just trying to figure out whether I'm coming in the first or second semester. Seems likely to be the latter.

SD/Sf looks good too.

So many choices.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

2058 Reviews

Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:56 am
Emerson says...

COME TO SAINT LOUIS! I demand it ^.^ but in a cute sort of demanding way. I'd really enjoy meeting you. And come on, St. Louis is awesome!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:10 am
piepiemann22 says...

If you weren't coming from the Pacific I would ask you to come to NY, but don't do it all the same. I live in one of the most expensive states in the country.

Though, do you have to go to a large and well known college? Sometimes they're not the best, though how would i know right. My friends Mom works a smaller college called Lemoin, and they have a great Creative Writing coarse. Plus, smaller colleges are usually more affordable.
I will always fight back, no matter what.

798 Reviews

Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:17 pm
Jiggity says...

Actually, one of my friends has a mate who's moving into NY next year and who has offered free accomodation to him, so if that can be extended to me I'll definetly be looking into it lol.

Clau -- I'd love to meet you too, but I'm not offered a scholarship to go there which I need to underwrite most of the cost lol. Still, if I do manage to make my way over to the states I'll definetly try an organise a visit.

Looking at housing and apartments in San Diego atm, so much expenses go to accomodation which is really making the scholarship to Sweden look tempting--free accomodation.

My education system sucks man, there's this international student at my uni who has telling me how the Spanish govt pay for 90% of her trips around the world to various countries. I nearly had a heartattack and then I spent the next ten hours sobbing wildly and asking her to marry me so I can become a citizen of Spain....

She only had to pay $1000, whereas a trip to America for me looks set to cost well in excess of $10,000. *sigh*

Sweden looks mighty tempting lolls. Will keep y'all updated.

2058 Reviews

Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:23 pm
Emerson says...

Still, if I do manage to make my way over to the states I'll definetly try an organise a visit.
I love you!

Yeah... I'm pretty sure we have to pay for our stays also, which is sad, because I really want to go over to England or at least, somewhere in Europe.

798 Reviews

Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:08 am
Jiggity says...

Would Canada be a cheaper option for me? Or would it cost the same, do you know?

440 Reviews

Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:22 am
gyrfalcon says...

No idea about Canada, but deffinitely check Truman out. I know that our program for sending US students abroat ROCKS (as I'm using it soon) and we have quite a lot of international students. Also, we are (comparatively) a rather cheep school anyway.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
— Groucho Marx