z

Young Writers Society

Hellyboy 2

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:50 pm
ProfessorRabbit says...

Because everyone's talking about Wall-E and the Crystal Skull and Batman, and this movie is in theaters, too!

My boyfriend, Oniisan, was really excited to go see this movie. I'd seen a few previews for it, but this type of movie generally isn't my thing, and, for God's sake, he'd just dragged me to the Hulk a couple weeks ago. ( Which, by the way, was lame. Too much gunfire, not enough smashing! ) Anyway, I sat down and watched the first one on Thursday to get prepared, as I'd never seen it before and, since I enjoyed it quite a bit, I got a little more jazzed up for the new one.

The first thing that disappointed me was that he'd gotten that agent guy sent off to Antarctica, which was really too bad, as he'd been my favorite character in the first movie. I had thought he'd have a part to play in #2, but I guess I was wrong. :P Still, the movie was pretty cool. I laughed when the elf guy wiped the blood off his mouth and it just vanished. An obvious edit so he wouldn't smudge his makeup.

And, Jehoshaphat, but Hellboy was dumb as rocks. Seriously, what is this guy, brain-damaged? You'd think the son of the lord of hell might have a little something going on upstairs, but I guess physical power is all that really counts.

I'll leave off the rest of my comments, as they're kind of spoiler-y. Long story short, I enjoyed the movie, and it was probably worth $10 to see all that action on the big screen, because action was all there was to this thing. The first one was better, but isn't that always the case? There were some badass fight scenes in #2, but sewer-dwelling elves are just not quite the same as an eldritch Lovecraftian beastie from beyond the stars. Even if they do have a robot army. The level of epic was just... less.

Your thoughts?
Frylock, please, no books! I can't read; I'm not a loser!
-Master Shake

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:32 pm
andimlovegalore says...

I thought the first movie wasn't that great...but this one looks a bit more Pan's Labyrinth-esque (and I LOVE that movie). Also I heard Neil Gaiman has something to do with it, and he can do no wrong.

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:46 pm
ProfessorRabbit says...

Pan's Labyrinth was okay. I really loved the fantasy sequences, but they interspersed those with too much boring war stuff. :P And I wasn't too thrilled with the ending, either. :|

And Neil Gaiman can totally do wrong. When we're talking about Neils, there is only Neil Stephenson. *nodnod*
Frylock, please, no books! I can't read; I'm not a loser!
-Master Shake

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:12 pm
Night Mistress says...

I like the agent guy from the first movie too. i was a little disppoint that Hellboy didn't firgure on his own what was happening with Lizzie. I mean, Come on, woman is moody, so there for she is either: A) on her period or B) pregnant.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:29 pm
Prokaryote says...

Surprisingly funny. I liked it.

"I'm a tumor!"

Pork

One fish, two fish, red fish, aardvark.
— alliyah