z

Young Writers Society

Exchange - America or UK?

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:45 pm
View Likes
sabradan says...

I dunno if you're still considering other schools stateside, but Chicago has got a lot of really nice options, fwiw. Theres UIC (University of Illinois, Chicacago) UC (University of Chicago, made famous by Enrico Fermi and the like of the Manhattan Project) Loyola Chicago, Concordia Chicago, various art schools, Columbia, which is like a film, art, studio and writing school, but is private and very expensive.

But Chicacago, for being in the Northern United States and having crazy weather is a nice little city, or as the saying goes, "My kinda Town"
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:39 am
View Likes
Jiggity says...

Hey peeps!!

So, obviously, I didn't make it last year. I have just been informed that I have very little time to organise everything to make it over in the first semester of next year, which is also the last available oppurtunity for me anyway.

I've decided to try Sacremento, I think. More so then the others anyway. I only have a very limited amount of time to try and get my applications and stuff in, but hopefully, it will work out.

Cheers.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

798 Reviews

Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:48 am
Jiggity says...

Also, I was just wondering - how many of you are going to Sac State? And do any of you live on Campus? Would it be cheaper to do that or to find other accomodation nearby?

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:12 am
chewy66 says...

hey man my opinon for you if you have never been to america just go!! get out and experince some thing new and take it in to use it in writeings latter in life and as for cost gose so what thats what loans are for afer i read a few of your books you will have it payed if budy

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:32 am
Meshugenah says...

Ha, so I've been on a small part of the SacState campus, and I thought it was freaking huge (then again, my school's only's got 8k students). But! Sac is relatively close for me! And I have friends who go to school at Sac and Davis (near Sac). So! If you do, you'll be seeing me!
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

798 Reviews

Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:20 am
Jiggity says...

XD.

Yay!

Yeah, chewy, I know...hence my wanting to come. I don't want to go too extreme with the loans though, so preferabbly, most affordable options must be taken. Which makes Mexico look reaaally tempting, as I can get free accomodation... But then, I want to come to america, to attack Mesh obviously. XD

Also, I gather Oregon is available too. Not sure whether its cheaper or not though. Working on getting my passport at the moment.

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:29 am
Avens Dolor says...

The University of Oregon is gorgeous and has an excellent, excellent English program. I would be going there next year, but I (alas!) am not from Oregon and cannot afford the non-resident tuition.

798 Reviews

Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:13 am
Jiggity says...

Cool.

I hate to appear indecisive. but I just took a look at oppurtunities available in the UK. Initially, thought there was no way I could do that, given the exchange rate is something like every $2 Australian dollars, equals $1 english pound.

You would think given the Aussie dollar is pretty much on par with the American at the moment, that it would be cheaper to go to Sacremento and yet, East Anglia University in the UK, disagrees. XD.

So now I don't know what to do!

*fails*

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:25 pm
Blink says...

I looked into the tuition fees and the US is something like an average of $7500 whereas the UK is around £3500 so around the same if you look at the exchange rate.

If you go to the UK be sure to check out Oxbridge (Oxford & Cambridge) but I can bet that will be more than expensive!

You could do a little research into the UK universities with Creative Writing (or whatever) but remember, the UK pound is worth more than the dollar, so the exchange rate is cancelled out really...

:smt102
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

798 Reviews

Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:28 am
Jiggity says...

Tuition fees don't factor into exchanges - I pay the same as I do at my original university, no matter where I decide to go. The costs that I look at are accomodation, living expenses, etc. And the UK, despite the exchange rate, is cheaper then America..

I'm applying for UK, as my first preference but availability is low so I won't be surprised if I dont make it and end up in Sacramento. :?

We shall see.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:35 am
thunder_dude7 says...

Ignore them all! Come to Washington DC!

Seriously!

You can go to George Mason!

798 Reviews

Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:45 am
Jiggity says...

Lol, I don't think George Mason is on the list of universities I can go to - although there was one in Washington available.

Okay so I submitted my application and my preferences were according to cost:

1. University of East Anglia - UK, Norwhich/Norfolk
2. Loughborough University - UK
3. California State University, Sacramento - U.S.A

I would really, really rather come to America I have to say, but costs dictate otherwise. For now anyway - someday I shall make my way over, I promise. Either way, it's still going to be an amazing experience.

If the the first two reject my application, or my own university rejects my propisition to go them, then Sacramento, here I come. But as it stands, *shrug*

We'll just have to see.

"I think; therefore, I am."
— René Descartes