z

Young Writers Society

Wall-E

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:35 am
deleted6 says...

This brought Pixar back in my good books. It's a beautiful film and I kept going awww continually. A wonderful story and full of hope and bravery. Like when the Captain makes the decision to fly back.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:07 pm
Lynlyn says...

WALL-E transformed my life in a number of ways. It made me obsess over Hello Dolly (the old movie that the musical sequences were pulled from). It made me sympathize with a cockroach. And above all, it made me want my very own pizza plant.

Given, there were a couple things I wasn't impressed with (some of 'Mary' and 'John' (was it John?) 's lines were really cheesy) but for the most part, I thought it was great.

As far as the "no satire intended" part goes, I think that's a little hard to swallow. The day the movie came out, I found that http://buynlarge.com was actually a real website, set up and maintained by Pixar, that was supposed to look like the Buy N' Large website. It was really funny - it had a ton of Onion-esque news, pretty much lampooned consumerism in general. The privacy policy, in particular, was hysterical. They even had a cafepress store: http://www.zazzle.com/pd/find?qs=buy+n+large

Unfortunately, they pulled the whole thing down yesterday, which makes me kind of mad (okay, kind of a lot mad). It was a really fun site, and provided a lot of backstory for the whole WALL-E story. Now buynlarge.com just redirects to the WALL-E section of the disney site. Poo.
"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." - G. B. Shaw
Lynlyn's Magical Critique Emporium - request a review here.

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:50 am
JackBauerHasABaldSpot says...

I know that Andrew Stanton said in an interview that he never really intended it, but I'm surprised nobody's mentioned how WALL-E looks so much like Johnny 5!

Anyway, somebody FINALLY made a post about this movie! I absolutely loved it (I watched it the day it was released and still can't get it out of my head). I also noticed that people seem to be voicing their opinions on the political commentary much more than anything else about the movie. I wonder how it would have been in Andrew Stanton intentionally put in these messages.

Should I feel a little naive because I thought very little about the political stuff and concentrated on how cute WALL-E is?
:lol:
"...some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright."
-The Shawshank Redemption

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:29 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Should I feel a little naive because I thought very little about the political stuff and concentrated on how cute WALL-E is?

Not at all, darling! ;) I did the same thing, and I think that was the intention of the film anyway.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto (I am a man, I don't consider anything human foreign to me)
— Terence