z

Young Writers Society

What are the big national holidays?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:09 pm
Nate says...

I'm just curious; what are the big national holidays for countries other than the United States? And while we're at it, let everyone know what you usually do that day.

Since I live in the USA, the big national holiday is the Fourth of July. I've lived in the Washington DC area for 16 years now, so maybe you'd expect me to celebrate in the nation's capitol itself. Yet, I have never once been in DC on the Fourth of July. When I was younger, my family celebrated at the Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD. And ever since 2001, I haven't been anywhere near DC for the fourth of July.

This year, I again won't be anywhere near DC as I will be in upstate New York.

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:18 pm
Teague says...

Fourth of July... meh. It's a little too crazy for me. Occasionally I can see the fireworks from the sports complex from the street, but not very well because I'm higher up. Normally I just watch the Tempe Town Lake Festival and munch on some hot dogs. Nothing too spiffy. Might be different this year.

And there's Thanksgiving! Occasionally it's synonymous with my birthday. So I get a turkey-shaped cake from time to time. :D

-:pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:22 pm
Rydia says...

England has bonfire night. That's where you go to a huge bonfire and watch fireworks and burn a Guy.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:33 am
Rei says...

This Tuesday (July First) Is Canada Day. As far as I know, we celebrate it for essentially the same reason and in the same way as Americans celebrate Independence Day: fireworks, parties, picnics.

We also have Victoria Day, which is technically May 24th, but the day off work is the closest Monday. It's become knows as May two-four. One of the reasons is the date and the other reason is the fact that many people celebrate it with a whole lot of drinking, and beer comes in boxes of twenty-four bottles that we call two-fours. It's also celebrated with fireworks, camping, stuff like that. In Ontario at least, it's also the traditional weekend that people start planting their gardens.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:58 am
chocoholic says...

Australia Day is sort of big... all I know about it is that it's in the holidays, so I don't miss out on School. ANZAC day is very important. Labour Day, Queens Birthday and for Melbournians, Melbourne Cup Day are the public holidays over here.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:03 am
Alainna says...

As Heather said, we have bonfire night, which normally means a full week of very little sleep and a lot of loud bangs. XD

Of course, Christmas is big over here and even Eid too.

Then you have Easter (which varies depending on your religion).

If I go back to my roots and think of Cyprus then I would say August 15th which is a massive holiday over there celebrating the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. It involves a lot of food, music, smashing of plates (OK, I'm being a bit stereotypical but this actually does happen most of the time) and lots of noise.

Alainna
xxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:24 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

We also have May Day, which is just a day off for reasons which no-one knows any more ^.^ And we have several Bank Holidays throughout the year, where all the schools and employees from the 'non-essential services' have a day off. And people that work in the Civil Service have the day off on the Queen's Birthday (the official one, I think).
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:24 pm
blacktiger3915 says...

Nate wrote:Since I live in the USA, the big national holiday is the Fourth of July. I've lived in the Washington DC area for 16 years now, so maybe you'd expect me to celebrate in the nation's capitol itself. Yet, I have never once been in DC on the Fourth of July. When I was younger, my family celebrated at the Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD. And ever since 2001, I haven't been anywhere near DC for the fourth of July.

This year, I again won't be anywhere near DC as I will be in upstate New York.

Do you go to the parades up there onthe 4th of July? Every year I take the bus and train to downtown Atlanta to see the "Salute to America" parade. It's a big thing down here. Miss America always show her face there. But I know that if it's huge here that in the capital of the USA or in New York it must be unbelieveable!!!!
Don't send sheep to kill a wolf.

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:27 pm
Cade says...

Where in upstate NY, Nate?

Obviously I celebrate Independence Day, living in the US. This year I'm celebrating by working. For double pay. :D
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:42 pm
-Save-Ferris- says...

Yeah Bonfire Night, that's pretty fun.

There's Christmas/Easter obviously.

In Scotland we have Burns Night to celebrate the poet Robert Burns.

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:34 pm
Layleun says...

What Cade said! Where in New York? Upstate as in Onondaga county or upstate as in St. Lawrence county?

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:12 pm
ProfessorRabbit says...

I wouldn't call Hallowe'en a national holiday, since nobody gets the day off, but it's my personal favorite. :)
Frylock, please, no books! I can't read; I'm not a loser!
-Master Shake

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:46 pm
thething912 says...

I think July first is Canada day. But, I'm not sure. I can ask the French students about France's independence day if you want. Independence days of other nations http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_Day.
Check out my website for my Photography.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:29 pm
StellaThomas says...

I was in Canada for Canada day :)

Our big festival is one everybody knows! Paddy's Day! 17th March, if you didn't know.

We also have Saint Brigid's Day, the 1st February, which isn't a holiday, but it's considered the beginning of spring.

Easter Monday is a national/bank holiday. Whether that's because we're a Catholic country or because of 1916 and all that, I'm not sure. And of course, Christmas.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

Attention is the beginning of devotion.
— Mary Oliver, Upstream