z

Young Writers Society

Will tattoos ruin my career?

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:53 pm
dreaming_mouse says...

I was planning on a career in acting (but I might be giving up so I can focus on my writing) but my mate said if I get the three tattoos I'm planning on then I'll have no hope of a career if I do go for it. Is this true?

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:57 pm
Sam says...

I guess you could...they'd just have to be somewhere you could cover up easily. Like your back your shoulders.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

49 Reviews

Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:22 pm
dreaming_mouse says...

One will be on the back of my wrist, another around my arm and the other will be on my lower back so depending on what I wear they should be easy to cover up - but if i got the part and then they saw them could i loose that part?

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:31 pm
Incandescence says...

I would say wait until you actually break in to the career before you tattoo your body. While I'm typically against it, I can't persuade you not to get them. My advice is to wait though, at least until you get "in".
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:17 am
View Likes
Nate says...

For most jobs, it'd probably be alright to get a tattoo as long as it was covered up (like on your back). But for acting, it may not be a good idea. The problem is that you may be called upon to perform not only roles that would force you to reveal the tattoo (wearing a bathing suit if it's on your back or going barefooted if it's own your ankle), but having a tattoo could be very inappropiate for your role as well, even if it's covered up the entire time. Imagine playing Cleopatra but having a butterfly on your ankle; it just doesn't fit.

Random avatar

Reviews: 8
Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:52 am
VariousUndine says...

It'd just be troublesome for you if you're not a name they'd bother with. Angelina Jolie, for example, has a tattoo on her back or arm, I can't remember which-- but she's played dozens of roles where both have been bared. She has to spend 2 hours in the makeup chair to cover it up. Same with Johnny Depp, I'd suppose. Thirteen tattoos, not a mark on the screen (except in Pirates of the Carribean where he used them to his advantage).

So right. Depending on how well you act and who you act for, they'll accomodate to your image. If not, well, then, that's that. I suggest you wait as well, at least until you've got a few good roles under your belt and you feel comfortable enough with your own talent and your view of the industry before you make any major decisions about your body.
[size=0]"I know it's not a party if it happens every night/ pretending there's glamour and candlelabra when you're drinking by candlelight/ What does it take to get a drink in this place?"~ The Postal Service, "This Place Is A Prison" [/size]

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:15 am
Tara says...

NO, tatoos can't ruin an acting career. You can cover them up easily, and you can talk to the person castingthe role to see if you would need to. I say go 4 it...but think about it 1st!
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun." -Al Capone

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:09 pm
Zion says...

My point excatly. MANY no EVERY actor (and mostly every acteress has one) the problem is are YOU ready to have a tatoo. Cuz its not something like the day's rubbish. Once if it groes bored you drop it. It will 'scar' your skin forever. Cuz then you will have to go through a VERY VERY expensive and painful tatoo removal. My advice is: 1st have some of those temporary tatoos or something like that, and see how they 'fit ' on your skin.
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

49 Reviews

Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:27 pm
dreaming_mouse says...

Arvandor wrote:My point excatly. MANY no EVERY actor (and mostly every acteress has one) the problem is are YOU ready to have a tatoo. Cuz its not something like the day's rubbish. Once if it groes bored you drop it. It will 'scar' your skin forever. Cuz then you will have to go through a VERY VERY expensive and painful tatoo removal. My advice is: 1st have some of those temporary tatoos or something like that, and see how they 'fit ' on your skin.

This isn't something I've just decided on - I've been thinking about it for years and it is something I am ready for. And there's this new treatment I heard about where you have this little liquid put on the tattoo and it scabs over and drops off leaving clear new skin. But once I get a tattoo I'm keeping it for life

Reviews: 3
Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:45 pm
alcina says...

go 4 it! im thinking of getting one as well.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
— George Santayana