z

Young Writers Society

No Excuses; No Stopping

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:19 am
Writersdomain says...

No Excuses; No Stopping

Most writers are perfectionists, and, because of this, writers are often unsatisfied or overly critical of their work. They sometimes respond negatively or are discourage by harsh criticism, and some even talk about stopping writing.

Frankly, that is the worst thing a writer can do. Why? For many writers, writing is a passion - something deep within the writer that refuses to let go, something that keeps the writer writing. As F. Scott Fitzgerald put it: "I've found my line - from now on this comes first. This is my immediate duty - without this I am nothing." If you seriously think you can stop writing for good because someone pointed out some flaws in your work, you are either crazy or don't understand that passion and talent are not enough.

Passion are talent are great things to have, but to be a successful writer (and I don't mean successful as in published - I mean reaching your highest potential.) you need perseverance and discipline. No one thinks the same. People are always going to criticize your work. People are always going to have suggestions.

Writers make excuses such as "I'm a bad writer" or "my writing is so bad I should just stop writing", but these excuses are completely off-base.

I'm a bad writer

No, you're not. You may be an inexperienced writer. You may be a writer who has problems with pace and characterization. You may be a wordy writer, but you are not a bad writer. You are only a bad writer if you do not write.

My writing is so bad I should just stop editing

No piece of writing is hopeless. Every piece of writing has potential. I'm not going to lie to you and say every piece of writing has potential to be published, but every piece of writing has the potential to be the best a writer can make it. Every piece has the potential to reach the highest level of excellence the individual writer can achieve. Whether that excellence be writing a piece with no spelling or grammar errors or publishing a best-selling book, every writer and piece has potential.

My writing will never be published, so I should just stop writing

If this is the case, ask yourself why you are writing. Is it just to gain attention? To boost your ego? That is not a good motive in anything you do. Sure, most writers want to be published someday, but if writing is your passion, why stop writing simply because you have not gained recognition?

You critiquers have ruined my passion to write

Again, why are you writing? If you are out there to boost your ego, don't come to other writers for that. Learning to accept criticism and suggestions is a key part of life in general.

I'm not good enough

Yes, you are. You are good enough to reach your own individual level of excellence, and you will if you keep working at it.

I'm not good enough, so I think I'll just stop writing

That is the worst thing you can do. If you stop writing, you cast aside all prospects of improvement. You cast aside the passion and talent that has been give to you. Why would you do something that stupid?

I'm not as good as everyone else

That's silly.

Stop comparing yourself. It is fine to learn from other writers and read their work in order to improve your own, but when you start comparing yourself, you walk a dangerous road. Every writer has a different voice; you can never write with the exact voice of another writer, so don't try. If you keep writing, you will grow more comfortable with your own voice and it will flourish.

I'm insecure in my writing, so don't criticize my work

If you don't learn to take criticism, you will never be secure.

I can never improve

That's just wrong. You can always improve. If you keep writing, you will improve. If you read, you will improve. If you take criticism and suggestions to heart, you will improve. You can too improve, so stop making excuses.

I hate you. You just slaughtered my excuses

Deal with it. :wink:

As you can see, yes, you can improve. No, you are not a terrible writer. Yes, you should keep writing. Yes, you should keep editing. The worst thing you can do is stop writing, so don't stop.

Don't smother your passion with insecurity.
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:35 am
Emerson says...

Such positive remarks!!

You really like Fitzgerald, yeah?

I'm with you (and the rest of the writing world) quitting isn't an option. I may go whole months without writing and talking about how bad my novels are and how I can never edit, but I could never quit....I'd die. Even if I'm just thinking about what I'm going to write (and never actually write it, we writers do love to procrastinate) at least I can lie to myself and pretend I'll eventually write it ;-)
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

563 Reviews

Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:43 am
Writersdomain says...

I love Fitzgerald!!! :P
~ WD

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:57 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

Hee hee,

Wonderful battle against the inner critic. Sometimes, well, I suppose in most cases, it just needs to shut face.

:wink:

Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:04 am
Rydia says...

I pretty much agree with you but when I considered giving up writing, I had one other excuse that I have since demolished -

Writing does not guarantee a stable career and I excel in other subjects

So writing isn't your strongest skill and perhaps not even your strongest passion but that doesn't mean you can't indulge yourself. By all means follow a different career path but if you enjoy writing then keep at it in your spare time and maybe one day you'll realise that you have a chance of being published afterall. Never abandon a dream. They may seem insubstantial at times but this world needs writers so why not you?

That's where the excuses you've mentioned came in. Lol. But I got over those too with a little help from my sister and friends.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

96 Reviews

Reviews: 96
Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:06 am
flytodreams says...

A few of those were my excuses!

Thanks for crossing them out.
I'm not being sarcastic, by the way.
Be yourself; everybody else is already taken.

I came, I saw, I conquered.

When you're being nice to your character, you're being bad to your book.

Reviews: 0
Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:47 pm
Pacific says...

Wahoo! You go WD!
I love that last one ;).

I was struggling with my inner critique for quit some time until last week. Then BOOM! I was like, 'why the heck am I writing then? Just to show how good I am? Heck no!' and I keep telling myself no one is going to read my work unless I want them to. Now I write freer (I hate using that word... it looks so wrong).
-Kiley-
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you. - Rita Mae Brown

2058 Reviews

Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:58 pm
Emerson says...

Writing does not guarantee a stable career and I excel in other subjects

True! But I love to write/read, and guess what I want to do? I'm going to get my PhD in Creative writing, English, or Russian lit. (Somewhere in that area) and I'm going to be a college professor. *sigh* It's my dream.

Now I write freer (I hate using that word... it looks so wrong).
That's because it is :-P the words you are looking for is, "more freely".

[s]WD, I just recalled one inner critique complaint I have!!![/s]
Last edited by Emerson on Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”

563 Reviews

Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:09 am
Writersdomain says...

WD, I just recalled one inner critique complaint I have!!!

And what might that be, hon?
~ WD

2058 Reviews

Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:12 am
Emerson says...

Er. oops. Ignore that! I thought I had one, then I couldn't remember it? I must have forgotten to delete that....hee hee. Silly me!

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:19 pm
View Likes
Leja says...

Very encouraging, but you took away all my excuses!!

XD

Claudette wrote:Even if I'm just thinking about what I'm going to write (and never actually write it, we writers do love to procrastinate) ...

So, so unfortunately true.

Nice article, Writersdomain.

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:37 am
Joeducktape says...

I think I used to use all of these.

(And sometimes I still do, don't tell!)

I've finally realized that I can't not write just because I'm scared. And I'm one of those firm believers in the idea that everything you write, no matter how many problems it has, or how unimpressed you are with it, is still worth something.
Check my new and improved blog:

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:53 pm
logosgal says...

Amen, WD!

Thanks for the encouragement!

Now if I can only put this into practice... :wink:
Home is where the books are.

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:04 pm
Fan says...

This advice is great. Usually the way to stop sluggishness is to kick it up the @&* adn move yourself (which I find very hard at times).

I'll be having an interesting conflict in my head the next time I feel lazy or downtrodden.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:02 pm
Ava says...

Fantastic advice! Most, if not all of those were my excuses. The main thing that keeps me from writing is my stupid inner critic telling me that whatever I write will be awful. This was just the thing I (and my inner critic) needed.
"Don't worry, you're just as sane as I am..."

Never use your shield as a dinner plate, for that is when the enemy is most likely to attack.
— The KotGR Commander