z

Young Writers Society

Ask a question here (or start a new topic!)

101 Reviews

Reviews: 101
Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:13 pm
MysteryMe says...

Hey! I literally just joined this site (like ten minutes ago) and I have a LOT of questions for you. I'll start with this:

I'm a 14 year old girl and I'm currently writing a novel. I'm actually very serious about it, since its around 45,000 words now and I very much want to be an author when I'm older. The thing is, i'm really shy with my work. Neither of my parents, my siblings, or my friends have any idea that I'm writing, because I just can't bring myself to show them. I'm just really self-conscious about it all, and a secretive person in general. I feel like they're all going to think its stupid and judge me on it. Still, though, I want some feedback on my novel. I was thinking about posting the first chapter on this site for some reviews on my writing style, but I'm afraid that it might get stolen. I just want to know, Is it safe here?
Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

532 Reviews

Reviews: 532
Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:25 pm
View Likes
ArcticMonkey says...

@MysteryMe

Firstly, welcome to YWS!

The YWS Copyright Policy states that any work submitted on here stays in the possession of the author, so this is one of few websites where it is safe! If you want more information, Copyright Law and YWS is an article which outlines a lot of it too.

Also, the members on YWS certainly won't judge you in a bad way for posting up your work! You'll just get some praise and constructive criticism which should help you with your writing. So I say go for it :)
Someone told me there's a girl out there, with love in her eyes and flowers, in her hair.

101 Reviews

Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:47 pm
MysteryMe says...

@ArcticMonkey

First of all, thank you for replying! I'm glad to know this website is safe. After working so hard and so long on my story, it would just be horrible to have it stolen, so it feels really nice to know that my story is safe :).

I also have another question, if you don't mind answering it. How do you suppose I get reviews on my story? Like I said, I just joined this site, so I don't know any of the other authors. I suppose that without any follows I won't get any reviews, and I don't want to post my story if no one is going to give me any feedback on it.
Last edited by MysteryMe on Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:25 pm
niteowl says...

Hi there MysteryMe and welcome to YWS!

The best way to get reviews is to give them! Posting on the forums helps too so people get to know you and want to read your work. We also have a group called the Knights of the Green Room here to ensure that every work gets at least two reviews. As for following people, it's a nice way to know what people are posting but I definitely don't only review the people I follow.

Another place to get reviews is in the Will Review for Food forum. Here, people set up a thread saying what they'll review and what their reviews are like. Pick one that fits your needs and send them a link to your story! The main rule is keep it to only two requests every few days.

Don't worry, you will get feedback on your story here. :)
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

101 Reviews

Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:26 am
MysteryMe says...

Thanks niteowl! I'm really glad to know that :). I see this website is really big on reviews, and I honestly like that a lot. I can't wait to post my first story :D

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:00 pm
deleted5 says...

Hey! Is it possible to post audio directly onto the site?
I AM YOUR GOD. -AlexSushiDog
Checkmate Atheists.

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:15 pm
Rook says...

I don't think you can do it directly onto the site (I don't really know though) But you can always do a link like to http://vocaroo.com/ or something along those lines. I know you can post videos directly to the site though, so...
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:10 am
Nate says...

The only files you can upload to YWS are images and documents. Audio files and video files are both excluded due to their size.

However, as fortis pointed out, you can upload the audio file to another site then share a link on YWS.

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:58 am
Rook says...

But I *know* I've seen videos on peoples' walls... o.0
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:13 am
View Likes
Nate says...

You can't upload videos, but can share them like you would any link. In the case of flash videos, just use the flash bbcode:

Code: Select all
[flash=560,315]http://www.youtube.com/v/RlTgXTnC118[/flash]

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:40 am
brassnbridle says...

Hey, so... I haven't been around in a while, and I want to know how things are done now ;)
So what's the general length of a story post these days? Is it different in the short story category than the regular forums?
If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.~Toni Morrison

It is written in m life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; I can do no other~ Tolkien

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:48 pm
Oakenshield says...

I'm a new member, hello! How can I post pictures on my wall?

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:51 pm
View Likes
Iggy says...

Hey @Oakenshield! Use these tags - [img] [ /img] (remove the space)

Use this for more help - The Big Book of YWS Codes
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:15 pm
Oakenshield says...

Iggy wrote:Hey @Oakenshield! Use these tags - [img] [ /img] (remove the space)

Use this for more help - The Big Book of YWS Codes

thankyouuuuu

Reviews: 0
Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:08 am
spiritwolf1011 says...

I was wondering if putting an author's note before or after a literary work is possible. The story I'm posting on this site is actually being posted on fanfiction.net as well. I'm mainly just putting it here so that I may get helpful reviews and such. (I don't really feel I'll get that at fanfiction) But I wanted to let people who read the story know about this so, if anyone ever sees it on the other site, they won't think its plagiarism and I won't have to deal with that mess.

So I'm just curious if there is a place for author's notes or if I can just put it after the written work or if they are even allowed at all. Thank you to whoever responds!

i, too, use desk chairs for harm and harm alone
— Omni