z

Young Writers Society

The Twisted Lies of a Girl In Love. Part 1

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:54 pm
Jas says...

Just an excerpt from my new story thing. Kind of a trial, if you like it, I'll post some more. If you don't, well then, I'll see what I can do to fix it :) Here's the first couple, I've written about 20 so far.

~*~
"We met through Kristy."

That actually isn't much of a lie. We did meet through our mutual friend, Kristy, just not the way my parents would have approved of. Kristy was invited to a college party and at last minute, decided to invite me to go with her. We weren't that close but I was bored and tagged along. The minute we got there, she ran off to make out with her ex and I ended up standing awkwardly by the door, praying for the night to end. He came up and asked me what a gorgeous girl like me was doing hiding. His eyes were hazy and his words slurred but I still flushed and was giddy that a college guy would take notice of me. We talked and flirted some more and by the end of the night, were planning our first date. Kristy was ecstatic and two weeks later, we were going steady.

~*~

"We never smoked. That's just Dad's cigar's, not me."

At first, it was just one or two- a quick smoke before he dropped me off home. Soon, he began to buy packs of Camels for not only him, but me too. I didn’t like it much but I soon got addicted and didn’t really have a choice. Sometimes when he had a couple of cigarettes and a little pot, he was nicer. Not much nicer but still better than the permanently pissed off PMSing mood he seemed to be in all the time. The sweet yet sophisticated man I had fallen in love had disappeared and a fire-breathing dragon was left in his place.

~*~

"Oh, I slipped on some ice"

With time, the lies slid out slicker than an oil spill. My mother had always been wary of him but she had always hated any boy who wanted to date her precious 17 year old baby. I was a rebel at heart, always bringing home boys she was sure to loathe. He was a fresh burst of air and threw off the sheet of protection that suffocated me all my life. Even when he hit me, I felt a sick rush of adrenaline, very much like when you’re going downhill on a roller coaster.

~*~

"Of course not! He would never hit me!"

I remember the first time he did it. He had bought me some chocolates that I didn't like and I jokingly tried to throw it out the tinted window of the car. He stopped the car and his hand was fast and sharp against my face. It was silent for more than 10 minutes other than the soft voice of the girl singing about her love on the radio. I turned away from him and held my hand to the hot, throbbing welt on my face. It wasn't even that it hurt, it was just cruel shock that he would ever raise a hand to me. He and I didn't talk for almost two weeks after but he called and called and finally, I answered.

~*~
If you haven't already realized, it's sort of a memoir or diary of this girl who has/had an abusive boyfriend. It's not in the right order but it's meant to tell a story, starting from beginning to end. Eventually, it'll get to the present and you'll see what happened. Maybe, I'll have some dialogue :p
Last edited by Jas on Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:37 am
Esther Sylvester says...

Hello there! I'm kind of new and I just saw your post and decided to read it. I just want to say that I liked this a lot. You have a lot of potential, that's the truth. I could tell that the entries were not in the right order, but that is okay since you can work on them later. I recommend that you not make this go on for a long time and keep it short and shocking. (Although I would like more to read!) The title may be a little long for my tastes, but that is up to you. I was quite impressed with the naivete and the ignorance that the lead possessed. She was believable, and that's always a good thing. I did not notice many grammatical errors either. Huzzah! I look forward to whatever else you do. Good job, and good luck!
It's writing prompt week on my blog a very random pickle!:
http://veryrandompickle.blogspot.com/

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:49 am
JaneThermopolis says...

Like Esther said, this story really has potential.
However....I believe that you have the right roots in place. It sort of seemed like you developed an outline with all of this information, but I think you should make this story longer and add more details, to differentiate from other teenage love stories. But I definitely think you have a good start on this story, I just think you should make it longer.
Apple of my soul,
Eats me whole,
Take one bite,
No delight,
Rotting hole.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:50 am
Riot_starter says...

I absolutely loved it! Please please please post more! I'm addicted already. Everything was beautiful, except for the fact that he was/is hitting her. Big no no, and if I were Kristy, I would kick some abusive boyfriend behind. I love the excuses, and they way you contradict them everytime, it just...fit. Like a perfect puzzle. Please PM me when you post more!

!RiOt!
I live my life in one simple fashion:WWTWTD
What would the Weasley Twins Do?

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:50 am
snickerdooly says...

I thought this was really great and something very diffrent.But a suggestion, try to make the first section a bit more interesting. Something that you can get drawn into. I really loved ths sentence: With time, the lies slid out slicker than an oil spill. You should definitly post more!
-Snicker
"Characters cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved." Helen Keller

374 Reviews

Reviews: 374
Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:01 am
BondGirl007 says...

Hey Jasmine! I can see since I've reviewed almost all your stories, that you've really grown a lot as a writer. You've gotten so much better at keeping me interested, and that's huge. I would suggest to you though that you try something outside of romantic fiction. I have a feeling you're probably most comfortable there, but I think if you really tried, you could reach higher and really improve. I quite liked this story, I thought the setup was pretty cool, and the plot was interesting enough.

Pm me if you'd like me to review the next part, or post in my WRFF again.

Keep writing!

~Hope
"I'd rather be hated for being who I am, then loved for who I'm not."

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:44 pm
Lava says...

Hey Jasmine!

Ooh, "Hey, Soul Sister!" I love it. ^^
So, let me get into this.

We talked and flirted some more and by the end of the night, were planning our first date. Kristy was ecstatic and two weeks later, we were going steady.
Well, I really would like it if you threw in a bit of dialogue. It'd help a reader to get to know the characters a bit more. Well, I get that it is a memoir of sorts but it would really help if there was little more to this opening paragraph.
Kristy was ecstatic and two weeks later, we were going steady.
I have a mixed reaction for this line. Well, I do like the way their relation has sprung (I'm not going to complain about her quick decisions or anything.) But, I feel that saying Kristy was ecstatic is just a way of bringing in and closing down the curtains on Kristy. Try something else.

So, I really liked this. It's good and I'd like to read more. PM me if you do post another.
Cheers,
~Lava.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:32 pm
xxbwiismexx says...

I really like this, you most definately should post more. You could easily take the small fragments you have and edit them in to some form of a story. I can't wait to read more!
~ Bri

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:49 am
napalmerski says...

Hi, this is a nice fragmentary little piece, and only two things caught my attention:

1. Kristy was ecstatic and two weeks later, we were going steady.
- this should be broken up into two sentences, and remind readers why Kristy is ecstatic. Yeah, sometimes one has to babytalk and spell things out:)

2. I was a rebel at heart, always bringing home boys she was sure to loathe. He was a fresh burst of air in the isolation tank that was my life
- we have something like a contradiction here. You should add a sentence how the boys quickly disappeared from the protagonist's life - otherwise the 'always bringing boys' and the 'isolation tank life' seem mutually exclusive

I like the story the way it is, like a diary style fable. It seems to work fine without dialogue. Just add a few more paragraphs to wrap it up, and it will be an excellent little story in a non-standard style
she got a dazed impression of a whirling chaos in which steel flashed and hacked, arms tossed, snarling faces appeared and vanished, and straining bodies collided, rebounded, locked and mingled in a devil's dance of madness.
Robert Howard

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:11 am
Shearwater says...

Hi! Pink here :)

Alright, what to say about this piece? I really like it, it's got a bitter taste to it but her love is twisted. I'd like to see more of why she likes him so much, what he does and what he got on her that makes her stick with him. I would love it so much more if you added a little more detail and length so I can take in her emotions and feel what she's feeling. Your wording is good and realistic and I didn't catch any grammar issues so yay!
I'd love to see where this issue goes and what happens to her, please do pm me when the next part is posted :D Till then,

~Pink
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:25 am
Roe says...

Hey there, Roe here to review!

"We never smoked. That's just Dad's cigar's, not me."

You don't need an apostrophe in cigars

Soon, he began to buy packs of Camels for not only him, but for me, too.

Just added a word and a comma, nothing major.

The sweet yet sophisticated man I had fallen in love with had disappeared and a fire-breathing dragon was left in his place.

Again, added a word.

"Oh, I slipped on some ice."

Added a period on the end of ice.

My mother had always been wary of him but she had always hated any boy who wanted to date her precious 17 year old baby.

Maybe try to revise this. I'd try, "My mother had always been wary of him but, then again, she had always hated any boy who wanted to date her precious 17 year old baby." Or something along the lines of that.

It wasn't even that it hurt, it was just a cruel shock that he would ever raise a hand to me.

All in all, I thought this was pretty good!
PM me when you get the next part up :smt001

Roe
the opposite of peace isn't
WAR
it's
CREATION

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Thu May 06, 2010 8:50 pm
WritingWords says...

Hi, WritingWords here.
I liked the overall idea. It is very dramatic. But the beginning needs to be moreinteresting, to drag in the readers. I mean, the reader again doesn't know who Kristy is. I never think it's a good idea to include characters in the beginning that you aren't going to describe more.
And, this:
He had bought me some chocolates that I didn't like and I jokingly tried to throw it out the tinted window of the car. He stopped the car and his hand was fast and sharp against my face.

That was weird because why would he be so mad that he hits people when the girl threw out chocolates? I mean, chocolates?
It's a good start. Be sure to write more.
Please follow me on all my writing quests by clicking "Follow" on my Profile. Thanks!

Popularity Wars Chapter Three is now here:
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/post735878.html#p735878

Please review!! Love ya!

Reviews: 1
Tue May 25, 2010 2:04 pm
emmalovee says...

This has potential to be something great. I love the way you use the quotes and the style of your writing makes it build up nicely. I just want to see some dialogue out of it to get more insight on the characters and how they are. Amazing though(:
"People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away. Well they give me all sorts of advice designed to enlighten me," - John Lennon<3

When something is broken, it can be fixed.
— Benjamin Alire Saenz, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe