z

Young Writers Society

A Criminal's Heart - Ch-1(Olivia)

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:13 pm
MiaParamore says...

I am finally through with chapter-1. Here's the link for prologue in case you missed it.
A Criminal's Heart

OLIVIA (Chapter-1}

25th June, 2009
11:00 PM

I have finally killed Amanda Bailey. I finally did it. It was tough but I somehow managed it. I had to; nothing in the life comes easily. While I mention all this, I can also enjoy the pleasure of seeing her dead body stretched out in front of me. Silent; unlike Amanda. You might ind me a ruel and a selfish friend. But let me clear up this before that I did this for the welfare of all Americans. Had I left her alive, she would have continued acting, which I need not tell how pathetic is, disturbing the common man. Yes, she was a bad actress, the worst among worst. She tortured me which best friends don't do and she stole my chance. I had had enough of her.
Not a single soul knew about my idea because even I didn’t know this.

It was the premiere of her latest film,'Harry Knows Dancing’ and the crowd was uncontrollable. Amanda Bailey was starring opposite James Garner for the first time. You know what happens when the most successful stars come together; lightning sparks.
Amanda walked the red carpet with as much elegance as she always did, waving and passing flying kisses to her stupid fans. I was all the time behind her, chasing her like a dog. I hated doing this for it reminded me of my failure every day and night. I detested being her manager, the person who she could insult and curse anywhere, in front of anyone. This night was no different but there was one difference. It was going to be her last insult for me because she wasn’t going to survive to witness another sunrise.

“I am please to meet you, little angel,” she waved her hand on the head of a little female fan of hers.
“You are so kind, Miss Bailey. Momma said you won’t sign my autograph book tonight. Look momma, you were wrong!” The little girl jumped up in excitement flying her little autograph book in air showing it to her mom who was standing close to her.
“Yes dear. She just signed it,” the proud mother clapped for her little angel.
“I am glad that I could bring a smile to someone’s face,” Amanda smiled her counterfeited glee as usual. She rolled the Parker pen in her freshly manicured hands, giving the girl a sweet little hug making sure the poor fellow felt more joyful. More the girl(or any of her fans) was joyful because of her, more publicity it meant. Everything she did from visiting old age home to playing with a girl was a publicity gimmick. I can't fully blame her. After all, I helped her do this. I am equally responsible.
Amanda was studded with diamonds, a girl’s best friend according to some. Her hands were holding one of the most precious handbag ever made by Chanel while her dress came from John Galliano’s own boutique in Paris. The electric blue dress might have been a disaster but the media was going to report something else. After all, the producer had paid them an hefty amount for mingling a little bit with words. Instead of writing ‘a disaster’ they just had to put ‘a marvel’ in its place.No big deal! But somewhere in the bottom of my heart, I knew that there was going to be someone who would take the path of truth.
“Argh! Stupid urchins! They believe they can touch me and I would like it,” she referred to the little girl after turning around. I switched my attention towards Amanda. It was astonishing me that how could some people have the courage to act fake in real life. She was no good at ‘reel’ life, but if you ask me she was superb in real life in terms of acting. She said it was a necessity if she wanted to remain in this glamour world. She was someone who was noticed even in the biggest crowd. I was not that someone and that’s maybe the reason I was far behind her in this rat race.
“But you just gave the little girl a hug. What was that?” I asked in surprise mixed with a teaspoon of disgust.
She laughed hysterically looking at the starry sky and whispered,“Are you an idiot? That’s publicity, my dear. Fame and money is not so easy to get.”
I sighed and started walking ahead which definitely raised her anger thermometer.
“Are you coming or will I have to watch your show alone?” I asked her.
I knew she was disgusted with my behaviour but however joined me inside.

“Miss Bailey, you were fantastic! I think you are the next Audrey Hepburn,” Mr. Stephenson Cripps remarked as Amanda joined them for dinner at one of the best hotels in Los Angeles.
The most successful producers, directors, actors and actresses were assembled here to celebrate the success of ‘Harry Knows Dancing’ on the invitation of its producer, Tony Brennan. Nobody here cared for the success except for its cast and crew, but had merely came to enjoy the food at La Dakota, to become a spotlight, and new stars merely came to rub shoulders with important people.

“Thank you Mr. Cripps for this sweet comment. It is such an honor to be compared with legendary Hepburn. I feel obliged, I really do,” Amanda said to the director.
“I have some problem here. I think what Mr. Cripps said was half wrong. Amanda has already become today’s Audrey Hepburn,” Tony Brennan cheered her as he ribbed her shoulder wiht his small hands resembling to a midget's.
The crowd comprised of some eminent personalities including Josh Burton; my target. One film under his direction and then no one could stop me from becoming next Hepburn or Merlyn Monroe. Josh was standing in a corner talking to some very important person it seemed. Josh was in his thirties and had jet black hair. Till now he has directed forty two films out of which only four failed to rock he box-office. The man he was talking to was not known to me. They were laughing loudly and shaking their wine glasses. [i]I hope he is talking to a producer, I thought and prayed at the same time.[/i]
I knew my life was going to change tonight; I had some intuition for this change. I kept thinking the whole time that the change was going to be a film offered to me but I was wrong. I was going to become a criminal tonight just because of that Amanda.
“Come join us, Olivia,” Amanda said gesturing me to sit next to Luke Bryant, the famous actor.
“Me? Do you want me to join you all? It’s so sweet of you,” I said, but nothing came from my heart. This was something Amanda had forced me to say so she could show everyone how generous she was. She never wanted me to join her in this high society because somewhere I was inferior to these artificial people and their fake but fancy life.
Amanda nodded and I sat next to Luke. He looked at me and passed a warm smile. He was known in the industry for his geniality, acting skills and looks. When you have a combination of all three, you are ordained to rock on screen.
“She is my manager and best friend, Olivia Hurley. We have been friends since we were like...eight. I don’t know how would I survive even one day without her. She does all menial tasks for me and takes the headache of fixing the meetings with producers and directors. She controls my schedule. And don’t forget the yummy pancakes she makes for my dinner every night. They are non-fattening,” Amanda laughed.
"Then I shoul know the recipe too," Melissa, a B-grade actress known for making repulsive speech in media, sounded pleased and pulled back a strand of hair in style.
But Amanda was right for the first time. I had to do all of the menial tasks for her. I was supposed to take care of her routine, diet and PR but I got nothing in return except for that flat in Oakwood Heights which was the only beauty in my life.

“That’s enough I think. Don’t make me sound like a goddess when," I swallowed hard," you are one,” I smiled making everyone roar into laughter.
“Is that what you do for a living? Managing Amanda's schedule?” Melissa asked me.
“Precisely. She is the best boss ever,” I replied. I believe I had pleased Amanda with all the fake but lovely things I had said about her.
I turned back to find that Josh Burton was making a beeline towards our table. My heart and pulse rate began to shoot up. Is he coming to discuss the new project? I wondered.
“Good evening Amanda. This was your best performance ever,” he said as he pecked her hand.
“Hey Josh, thank you. It’s not often one hears praises from Josh,” she smiled. Josh gave us all a grin and sat on a vacant chair next to Melissa. Melissa and Josh began talking about something while Amanda got busy with Matt. Everyone had someone to talk to because they all had some work or duty which needed to be completed. My life was restricted to Amanda and her housecleaning so I never really had any topic to discuss. Besides, none of them who were seated on this important table would have liked to talk to me, a mere servant. I was nothing more than a servant, just like her Chihuahua who was expected to go wherever she went and agree with her all the time.

I was desperately waiting for Josh to tell something about his movie which would remind Amanda of her promise. She had given me her word about talking to Josh about a role in his upcoming film; she had guaranteed to get me the lead.
“I have something to announce. Mr. Tyler has agreed to finance my next project. I just have one problem now,” Josh said.
No one seemed to care about it except for the actresses. Everyone knew that his film would be a female oriented one and anyone who got this role was going to become a superstar overnight. Remember, there are many comets, few stars and only one superstar in the film trade. And as for now, Amanda was that one superstar but it was poised for a change.
“A heroine? Is that your problem?” Amanda asked trying to sound astoished.
“You guessed it. I am looking for some fresh face. But this one should have talent too. Not any pretty face would do,” Josh made himself clear and looked at me. It was not that I was in his mind. No one present here knew that I was also an actress because Amanda never let them know. She knew that I could be a danger to her smooth career.
“Why do you want a newcomer? We have lots of established faces which people would be delighted to see. We don’t need one more actress to add to this rat race. Do we?” Amanda claimed, surprising me. She was double- crossing me. I just wanted to burst out in tears but I had to control my feelings. I knew that she was selfish and proud but I didn’t know she was a liar and a promise-breaker. She had broken my trust and heart forever.“And who is better than our own Amanda? I think she is the best option,” Stephenson recommended.[/i]
Amanda pretended to be honored and shy at this proposal. She was eyeing for this role ever since but I didn’t know that. I was such a fool to believe that she would let me come to her profession. She was just showing me a lolly-pop and making me dream of things which I would never have, is he remained alive.
“Why didn’t I think of this before? The girl is sitting right in front of me. My search ends here, Amanda. You are my next heroine,” Josh started jumping with excitement literally.
I was torn apart by my best friend. She treated me badly sometimes but we were still best friends. I shared every secret with her although she showed no interest in them and she did the same. I had helped her in taking some important decisions of her life. How could she betray me? Somewhee in some corner of my heart I ahd some love, tryst left for her which had made me believe that she would let me have the role.I had made up my mind to quit the job and tell her about it the same night. But then came another idea to my brilliant mind. Why not end her story? In this movie of life, I was going to be the story writer, the director and the actor at the same time showing her my real talent. I wasn’t just meant to cut onions in her kitchen or tie her laces and I was going to prove that even if that meant………………..

The whistling of the wind brought me back from this flash back. It seemed like someone had pushed me into the memory lake but I had to come out of it or else I would be pushing myself in a grave danger. Another minute at Amanda’s house could have proved lethal. I stood up from the Parisian sofa, which was in the upper section of the house right close to the Amanda’s bedroom. Her body was in front of me, devoid of any motion or expression, soaked in blood. Her beautiful Victoria’s Secret mauve nightgown now looked crimson with blood. I cleaned the Korth revolver and kept it in my handbag. I had bought this revolver a long time ago after coming to L.A because I was going to be alone here and this place is really not safe. But it was now that it had come to a good use.
“I told you that you are no good. I am more talented, powerful and smarter than you,” I was talking to the dead Amanda. But there was no reply in protest of my comment because dead can’t speak. The place was dark except for the light provided by moon which made its way through the glass window, lighting up my face. The night looked beautiful and pleasant even more than it was as I had a beautiful reason to cheer me up. Dead Amanda. I jumped over her body and started climbing down the stairs while trying to make minimal noise. Tonight the spiral staircase seemed never-ending. I heard the clouds thunder and the rain started pouring. Well great, another boulder to my problem, I thought. One can’t drive properly during rainfall and the rains had always panicked me. I don’t know why but the rains seemed like a torture.
It was raining when I first met Amanda thirteen years ago in a small park in Texas, our hometown. I would never forget that day and this one too. They had registered themselves in my memory forever.
I silently made a beeline towards the back door and got out through it. It seemed that all the trees and decoration pieces had become witnesses to my crime. I shuddered back as I saw a big tree thinking of it to be a police officer. I was scared very much but that was nothing in front of my new found happiness.
The wet mud made walking even more difficult and a torture for my sprained ankle. While fighting with Amanda I had received this sprain. I should have gone straightaway to a doctor but any risk wasn’t on my list now. My one mistake could end me up behind the bars. No I couldn’t afford it. I will find some other treatment at home only, I thought to myself while walking down the path. My car was parked right there, close to Amanda’s backyard. The area at the backside of her house was under construction and no one lived there so my car was safe there and so was I.

I was there in my Toyota Prius smoking the last cigarette left in my pocket. As I blew in and out the air I began wondering about the future. Now that I had killed Amanda, my biggest hurdle, what was there I could do. Start looking for some decent roles? That was not my idea. I had waited for years to do something big and now I wasn’t going to start all this again. Now I couldn’t wait to get a big role. Not any role would do now. I should go to Josh and talk about the role. But if I talked about my role now he would become suspicious. I was Amanda’s best friend and I had to mourn so as to look sad for her demise. The series of these thoughts seemed never ending. I heard a horn, probably coming from behind and a moment later a light flashed in my eyes. Who is this person? I thought. I was in big-time trouble. I must rush, I told myself.
Last edited by MiaParamore on Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 11 times in total.
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

553 Reviews

Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:25 am
View Likes
MiaParamore says...

No one interested?

— Paramore

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:34 pm
View Likes
peanut19 says...

25th June, 2009

11:00 PM

I finally killed Amanda Bailey. I finally did it.Okay, I don't really know why you had to repeat that. It was tough but somehow I managed it. I had to; nothing in the life comes easily. While I write this, I can also enjoy the pleasure of seeing her dead body stretched out in front of me. Silent;should be a comma unlike Amanda. You would might be thinkingeither this should be wondering or you should have a ? at the end why I am writing this all here. I want to describe everything live. Many of you, who would be reading this later, might find me a selfish and cruel friend. But let me clear this up before maybe add that happens, I did this for the welfare of all Americans. Had I left her alive, she would have continued acting, which I need not tell how pathetic is, disturbing the common man. Yes, she was a bad actress, the worst among worse. This is an odd reason to kill someone. Maybe say something about it affecting the narrator personally

Not a single soul knew about my idea because even I didn’t know this. Also this is a little odd. As I read the beginning I got the idea that your MC had been planning this a while. If she hasn't you should say that sooner instead of placing it here.

It was the premiere of her latest film, ‘Harry Knows Dancing’ Films should be underlined or italicized. Not in qoutes. and the crowd was uncontrollable. Amanda Bailey was starring opposite James Garner for the first time. The most successful stars when come together, lightning sparks. Okay, I think you're missing a word here.

Amanda walked the red carpet with as much elegance as she always did, waving and passing flying kisses to her stupid fans. I was all the time behind her, chasing her like a dog. I hated doing this for; it reminded me of my failure every day and night. I detested being her manager, the person who she could insult and curse anywhere, in front of anyone. This night was no different but there was one difference. It was going to be her last insult for me because she wasn’t going to survive to witness another sunrise.

“I am please to meet you, little angel,” she waved patted? her hand on the head of a little female fan of hers smiling like an angel herself. This could be worded differently. I think the part about her smiling could be left out or stated sooner.

“You are so kind, Miss.no period is needed here Bailey. Momma said you won’t wouldn't sign my autograph tonight. Look momma, you were wrong,!” The little girl jumped in excitement flying her little autograph book in air.

“Yes, dear; she just signed it.The proud mother clapped for her little angel. Why in the world would she clap? It seems like an odd thing to do.

“I am glad that I could bring a smile onto someone’s face,” Amanda smiled her counterfeited glee as usual. She rolled the Parker you don't have to specify the brand just say pen, unless it's gonna have a special purpose later pen in her freshly manicured hands, giving the girl a sweet little hug making sure the poor fellow felt more joyful.I think the little girl is plenty joyful; just saying :) and I don't think fellow is the right word for a little girl The more the girl(or any of her fans) was were joyful because of her, more publicity it meant. I think the changes to that sentence are correct. It didn't really make sense reading through it. Everything she did from visiting old age home to playing with a girl was a publicity gimmick.

Amanda was studded with diamonds, a girl’s best friend according to some<-- that isn't needed. Her hands were possessingholding, it sounds odd to say her hands own something one of the most precious handbags ever made by Chanel, while her dress came from John Galliano’s own boutique in world’s fashion-city, Paris. The electric blue dress might have been a disaster but the media was going to report something else. After all, the producer had paid them a heavy amount for mingling a little bit with words. Instead of writing ‘disaster’ they just had to put ‘a marvel’ in its place. But somewhere in heartsbottom of my heart, I knew that there were was going to be some who would take the path of truth.

“Ha! Stupid urchins! They believe they can touch me and I like it,” she referred to the little girl after turning around. I turned my attention towards her. It was astonishing me that how could some people have the courage to act fake in real life. She was no good at ‘reel’ life but if someone asks you ask me, she was superb in real life in terms of acting. She was someone who was noticed even in the biggest crowd. I was not that someone and that’s maybe the reason I was far behind her in this rat race.

“But you just pecked the girl on cheeks. What was that?” I asked in surprise mixed with a teaspoon of disgust. When did she do that? I thought she just gave her a hug?And the last sentence would sound better as something like: I asked in surprise, disgusted at her sudden change.

She laughed hysterically, looking at the starry sky. “Are you an idiot? That’s publicity, my dear. Fame and money is not so easy to get.”

I sighed and started walking ahead, which definitely raised her anger thermometer.

“Are you coming or I will have to watch your show alone?” I asked her.

She made a face but joined me inside the hall. If she is behind her how does she know she made a face? Maybe she could make a noise or something

“Miss Bailey, you were fantastic. ! I think you are the next Audrey Hepburn,” Mr. Stephenson Cripps remarked as Amanda joined them for dinner at one of the best hotels in Los Angeles.

The most successful producers, directors, actors and actresses were assembled here to celebrate the success of ‘Harry Knows Dancing’ Again it should be italized or underlined on the invitation of its producer, Tony Brennan. Nobody here cared for the success except for its cast and crew, but had merely come to enjoy the food at La Dakota.

“Thank you Mr. Cripps for this that sweet comment. It is such an honor to be compared with legendary Hepburn. I feel obliged, I really do,” Amanda said to the director.

“I have some problem here. I think what Mr. Cripps said was half wrong. Amanda has already become today’s Audrey Hepburn,” Tony Brennan cheered her.

The big hall comprised of some eminent personalities, including Josh Burton who was my target. One film under his assistance then and no one could stop me from becoming the next Hepburn. The director was standing in a corner talking to some very important person it seemed. I hoped he is was talking to a producer; I thought and prayed at the same time.

I knew my life was going to change tonight I'm confused is this a flashback to a while ago or earlier that day?; I had some intuition for this change. I kept on thinking the whole time that the change was going to be a film offered to me but I was wrong. I was going to become a criminal tonight just because of that Amanda. Either scratch the that or make it like she is talking to Amanda.

“Come join us, Olivia,” Amanda said gesturing me to sit next to Luke Bryant, the famous actor.

“Me? Do you want me to join you all? Of course she want's her to join. Most people wouldn't repeat the question. It’s so sweet of you,” I said but nothing came from my heart. This was something Amanda had forced me to do so she could show everyone how generous she was. She never wanted me to join her in this high society because somewhere I was inferior to these artificial people, their fake and fancy life.

Okay, I'm out of time, but I found a lot of the errors in the beginning half. I like the idea of the story but I think you could be a little clearer on the timeline. I know that Olivia killed Amanda because of the prologue. But when you switch to the flash back, I'm not sure how far back that's taking place. I'm assuming it's shortly before Amanda is killed but it took a while to figure out.

Hope that helped.
~peanut~
There is a light in you, a Vision in the making with sorrow enough to extinguish the stars. I can help you.
~And The Light Fades

The people down here are our zombies, who should be dead or not exist but do.
~Away From What We Started

P.S Got YWS?

553 Reviews

Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:52 am
MiaParamore says...

Thank you peanut19 for doing this review on my request. Thanks a ton. I have edited it.

— Paramore

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:43 pm
Meep(: says...

Hey Shubhi! :D
I'll just get straight down to business:
1) I would italicise Olivia's thoughts, if I were you, to make it clearer for the readers.
Maybe add a border to separate the italicised text that's a flashabck.
Also, there's no need to go overboard with the ...s at the end of the flashback ;)

2) Gunshot:
Eh, kind of pointless to walk around the house with minimal noise when you've just fired a shot into a person who also screeched loudly when you stomped on her.
And then its kind of silly to be standing around admiring your work and thinking of the past & future actions when people are likely to have been alerted by the gunshot.
Olivia may be somewhat insane, but she has shown she can still think clear enough, so her actions can't be too dubious.

3) Ending:
Technically, between the sound of the horn and the flash of light, there should be enough time for Olivia to react and run, so you should probably indicate how she was surprised (which would bring us back to point #2 about the likelihood of attracting attention) and perhaps froze on the spot.
Also, most people would think "Who's there?", rather than assume "Who is this person?" Which indicates she already figured there's only one person. Which is unlikely.

4) Overall:
Like most pieces of writing, this can be improved, but I like that there is more imagery in this chapter as compared to the prologue :D

Have a good day!
~Meep(:
~Liverpool F.C Supporter~
"You'll never walk alone"

770 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 770
Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:48 pm
borntobeawriter says...

Hi Shubhi,

Ok, the nitpicks were pretty much pointed out. I wanted to mention one thing though. Amanda says that she lets the stupid urchins touch her. I was under the impression that she says it while on the red carpet. Is that so?

If yes, I can't believe that no one heard that, not one camera, not one person, unless she was whispering to Olivia. Was that the case?

I have not much to add to this, I'm still not getting to know either Olivia or Amanda. I don't know if AManda is truly evil or if it's only Olivia's way of portraying her.

And how come no one knows Olivia is an actress if she was first supposed to have the role in Midnight thief, the role that rose Amanda to stardom? Surely someone must know. Had she done auditions? Maybe people could pity Olivia for being only a manager when she wanted to be an actress or maybe they could love Amanda for giving her talent-less best friend a job so close to the actors or something, you know?

Anyway, I'm still as intrigued and I can't wait to see what you'll have next for us. Could you pm me for the next chapter?

Tanya :D

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:09 pm
Demeter says...

Hey, Shubhi!

At first I was going to review the prologue, but I decided to do this one instead as I saw this had fewer reviews. That said, I haven't read the prologue. I could still follow the story without much confusion, but it's up to you to decide whether that's a good thing or not.

I liked it that this was placed into the world of actors, which has always more or less fascinated me. It's also good that you presented the other side as well and the aspect of being two-faced, because I'm sure that's often the case in real life too.

A technical difficulty is the use of the italics throughout the story. I don't know about other people, but italics tend to make my head ache a little. That's why I would suggest formatting your story so that you divide the flashbacks and the present with an asterisk between the paragraphs or something more convenient.

The dialogue, in my opinion, was a little stiff. No matter how hard Amanda is trying to give a sweet impression to the public, not even the best fakers have the time to build up whole conversations with their fans on the red carpet. What would be more realistic is that she would just sign her book and give her a dazzling smile or something. Or just act really humble in contrast to the snappy behaviour afterwards.

The chapter is relatively long -- you have a long flashback and a long ending section. Seeing as you already have a prologue in which (I suppose) a lot of the relationships are explained, is everything you have in this chapter necessary? I mean, we know that Amanda acts differently in public than she does in front of Olivia, and we know that Olivia is bitter and jealous and spiteful. And I think we would know this even if the chapter was half of what it is now. You have to make everything count, and if you take a lot of time to say something, make sure it's just not repetition of something that everyone knows already.

Another thing that made me confused -- in the beginning, she's clearly writing a diary entry or something like that. But after the flashback, the narration is different and it's quite obvious she's not writing anymore. Unless there's an explanation of this in the story, something that she mentions, I would think that you were just being absent-minded. You should show the reader you know what you're doing, and consistency is also good. :)

Well, I hope I could help! PM me with any questions.

Demeter
x
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

553 Reviews

Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:17 pm
MiaParamore says...

The dialogue, in my opinion, was a little stiff. No matter how hard Amanda is trying to give a sweet impression to the public, not even the best fakers have the time to build up whole conversations with their fans on the red carpet. What would be more realistic is that she would just sign her book and give her a dazzling smile or something. Or just act really humble in contrast to the snappy behaviour afterwards.

Amanda is a big actress and she lives in this fake world everyday. So she can construct fake dialogues on the spot. believe me, I know some people around me who can. Anyways,thanks a lot.

— Paramore

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:14 am
AspiringAuthorA..M. says...

Hello there. I must warn you, I am still very much under the torture of a virus taking over my body. So not even I know how my comments on your piece will go.

I finally killed Amanda Bailey. I finally did it. It was tough, but somehow I managed it. I had to; nothing in the life ever comes easily. It makes the otherwise confusing sentence easier to stomach. While I write this, I can also enjoy the pleasure of seeing her dead body stretched out in front of me. Silent; that semicolon should just be a comma. unlike Amanda. You would be thinking, why I am writing this all here? Changed to a question mark. I want to describe everything live. Many of you, who would be reading this later, might find me a selfish and cruel friend. But let me clear up this before, I did this for the welfare of all Americans. Had I left her alive, she would have continued acting, which I need not tell how pathetic is, disturbing the common man. Yes, she was a bad actress, the worst among worse. She tortured me, which best friends don't do, and she stole my chance. I have had had enough of her.
With your "have" it sounded like the girl was still plotting to kill, but that is obviously not the case here, so I took the liberty of suggesting that you omit that word. Let me just tell you, your entire piece is plagued with an astounding number of errors.

The whistling of the wind brought me back from this flash back. It seemed like someone had pushed me into the memory lake but I had to come out of it or else I would be pushing myself in grave danger. Another minute at Amanda’s house could have proved lethal. I stood up from the Parisian sofa. I was in the upper section of the house right close to Amanda’s bedroom. Her body was in front of me, devoid of any motion or expression, soaked in blood. Her beautiful Victoria’s Secret mauve nightgown now looked crimson with blood. I cleaned the Korth revolver and kept put it in my handbag. Using "kept" is does not make much sense. I had bought this revolver a long time ago after coming to L.A because I was going to be alone here and this place is really not safe. But it was now that Today it had come to a good use.
You can play with a lot of variations of that ending sentence. :wink:

“I told you that you are no good. I am more talented, powerful, and smarter than you,” I was talking to the dead Amanda. But there was no reply in protest of my comment because the dead can’t speak. The place was dark except for the light provided by the moon which made its way through the glass window, lighting up illuminating my face. You already had "light" in the sentence so using another variation of it as "lighting" almost sounded like you were repeating yourself, but my suggestion of "illuminating" will change that. :) The night looked beautiful and pleasant even more than it was as I had a beautiful reason to cheer me up. Dead Amanda. I jumped over her body and started climbing down the stairs while trying to make minimal noise. Tonight the spiral staircase seemed never-ending. I heard the clouds thunder and the rain started pouring. Well great, another boulder to my problem, I thought. One can’t drive properly during rainfall and the rains had always panicked me. I don’t know why but the rains seemed like a torture.

It was raining when I first met Amanda thirteen years ago in a small park in Texas park, our hometown. I would never forget that day and just as I won't this one too fade from memory.
You can also include an "either" at the end of the sentence.

I silently made a beeline towards the back door and got out through it. It seemed that all the trees and decoration pieces had become witnesses of my crime. I shuddered back as I saw a big tree thinking of it to be a police officer. I was scared very much to the bone, but that was nothing in front of my new found happiness.
Your original words were almost laughable when used in the situation you have described. It started out great but you quickly lost the atmosphere when you used "scared very much" that has got to be one of the most tedious uses of fear I have ever seen. :( But I know you are capable of writing better descriptions than that. :wink:

The wet mud made walking even more difficult and a torture to my sprained ankle. While fighting with Amanda I had received this sprain. I should have gone straightaway to a doctor but any risk wasn’t on my list now. My one mistake could end with me up behind the bars. No I couldn’t afford it. I will find some other treatment at home only, I thought to myself while walking down the path. My car was parked right there, close to Amanda’s backyard. The area at the backside of her house was under construction and no one lived there so my car was safe there and so was I.

I was there in my Toyota Prius smoking the last cigarette left in my pocket. As I blew in and out the air I began wondering about the future. Now that I had killed Amanda, my biggest hurdle, what was there I could do. That period should be a question mark. :smt003 :?: :smt003 Start looking for some decent roles? That was not my idea. I had waited for years to do something big and now I wasn’t going to start all this again. Now I couldn’t wait to get a big role. Not any role would do now. I should go to Josh and talk about the role. But if I talked about my role now he would become suspicious. I was Amanda’s best friend and I had to mourn so as to look sad for her demise. The series of these thoughts seemed never ending. I heard a horn, probably coming from behind and a moment later a light flashed in my eyes. Who is this person? I thought. I was in big-time trouble. I must rush, I reconciled myself.

Closing comments:

What I liked:
Occasionally you had some good imagery through your chapter. Unfortunately, there really isn't much more phrase I can honestly give you.

What I did not like:
Many times I was confused on what was supposed to be going on. That is not good, reading should be easy to follow. Besides the errors that plagues your piece, the overally extended segment in italics really dragged the pace down to a crawl. (Overally is not a real word) Many of your descriptions also fall flat with their generic wording.

Overall:
I did not particularly hate your story, but neither did I think it stood out from any other work. It was mostly so-so. Just work out the kinks and it'll shine brighter, because right now, it's a flickering light-bulb.

Happy writing. :wink: :smt024

- :smt059
Last edited by AspiringAuthorA..M. on Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
-John 11:25-26

553 Reviews

Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:04 am
MiaParamore says...

Thanks. I will surely work on the errors.

— Paramore

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:53 pm
eldEr says...

Once again, nothing to correct that hasn't been corrected... This was as good as the prologue!
Loved it!
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

553 Reviews

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:03 am
MiaParamore says...

Thanks! isha. Working on your story.

— Paramore

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:41 pm
WastedFantasy says...

Wow I loved chapter 1 just as much as I loved the prologue. In the prologue I kinda felt bad for Amanda, but after reading chapter one I feel as she deserved it. You are a great writer and I hope you will PM me when you post another chapter. Your book has been very addicting so far and I hope you continue to write and post.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I'm not.

553 Reviews

Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:17 pm
MiaParamore says...

Hi and thanks WastedFantasy. I have already posted chapter-2.

— Paramore

Random avatar

Reviews: 26
Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:49 pm
L5na2 says...

Although I didn't like the fact that she killed Amanda, but now I don't know if I can really blame her. Amanda is a jerk. She definitely should have gotten a reality check while she was still alive. I feel kinda bad for Olivia,but she still needs some major help.

Every empire tells itself and the world that it is unlike all other empires.
— Edward Said