Logic: You are Always Doing Something

by rainforest

Have you ever been in a conversation on the phone or something, and the person you are talking to is asking you, "What are you doing?"  And you responded, "Nothing." Well, logically, you are in fact doing something. You breathe, if you are sitting or standing or laying down, you are doing one of those. You are probably blinking, you might be talking. Just think of it, deeply. You could even be sleeping! People usually think they are doing nothing, just when they actually are. Even things in your body are doing something. Your heart is pumping blood. Cells might be producing. Other things that can't even think of are happening with you. I agree that this is definitely insane!

Summary: You are always doing something.

Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:07 am
Variks wrote a review...

Unlike your other logic post, I agree with this. Unless you're dead, which completely invalidates the question "What are you doing?", you're doing something. However there are immeasureably small amounts of time between things you are doing.
To prove wrong that sitting, laying, or falling are actions, they are positions of relaxation. When you are sitting, your body is in a relaxed position, and the same could be said about laying. Falling is technically not relaxing, but it is a state of not being in control, likewise when referring to the rotation and revolution of the Earth. You are not in control of what you are doing, therefore you technically are not doing it. If you get shot in the leg, you are bleeding out, however you are not doing it.

Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:37 am
Mysticalxx says...

Very, very. very true! :)

Nice work! I am always telling my family stuff like this, and they are always rolling their eyes and telling me to stop being so "literal". But hey, I like this stuff!

It IS insane! But I like insanity. Good work.

Keep it up!

Mysticalxx

Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:21 am
Eldritch wrote a review...

Haha, very true!

Ah sorry, I should introduce myself! Hi! I'm AnaMin! Min, anyway.

Your article's really really cool. i found it wonderful! Yes, it's such a obvious question we all are being asked "What are you doing?" and, i bet, almost 70% say in reply that "Nothing!"
I'm included as well, well, not always, sometimes.

The logic you told here are strong and good. But, caution! Don't try this to any mad aunt or *love-to-scream* grown ups! Telling from my personal experiences, I love logic very much and almost always i try to be logically correct, (some even call me logician o_O )
So, what often happen is, some adult are always in the opposite direction of what i say, no matter, i'm so freaking correct!

And, then, at one point, they start screaming, yelling at me, yeah, i understand, self-defense! I don't mind though!

Hahaha, anyway, good writing, one of my good reads of today. I loved it!

STAY GOOD AND IN FUN! AND, IF THE COLD WANNA CATCH YOU, DON'T THINK, RUUUUN!
~Min ;)

SARAHJO wrote a review...

This is THE definition of "That's so true!". Ah, I do love logic.

I have told people this since the beginning of my first spoken words as a child. I would ask the usual, "So, what are you doing?" and the answer would always be the cringe worthy word, "Nothing." The word "nothing" cannot really be expressed literally. No matter how much we may think it, time never stops, therefore "nothing" can never be happening. People still blink, breathe, live. The world still moves, spins, exists. "Nothing" is a completely unacceptable answer for any situation in my opinion. And I agree, it is insane!

Nice job, Unknown! :)

farahmasud wrote a review...

You my friend, have spoken the unspoken, often unnoticed truth of our everyday life.

As long as we are alive and breathing, we are doing 'something'. The state of being conscious, itself is sort of a 'work'. May be not so much by the physics definition of work, but figuratively, yeah.
But when you think of your body and your mind as slightly separate entities, you can actually say that, 'you' are not doing anything, but your body is. Right?

Also, whether or not you are doing something depends on 'what' you think 'doing something' means. What I'm trying to say is, as individuals, we have different perception of things. So maybe, when someone says 'nothing', he is referring to the fact that he is not doing anything substantial other than talking to you, or maybe he just doesn't want to tell you that he is or was doing something to not offend you.

But yes, of course, we are always doing 'something'. But some of us acknowledge it while the others overlook and refer to that as doing 'nothing.

Hope I made sense. :P

“A good book isn't written, it's rewritten.”
— Phyllis A. Whitney, Guide to Fiction Writing