Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » Other

I wish I hadn’t wished away my time

by yellow

I entered 2020 hoping to have an amazing second semester. With senioritis already setting in, I really wanted to be done, but every day, I was reminded that I had to make my senior year the best year yet and finish out strong. In reality, when I found out that school would be closed for the rest of the year, I knew that my aspiration was crushed.

Instead of being stuck in a school building, eight hours a day and five days a week, I’m now a prisoner in my own home with my only best friend being a computer. I can say on behalf of all seniors across the nation that we are not happy. It’s heartbreaking that we have to see all of our “lasts” vanish without warning. Self-quarantine hasn’t been the greatest for a lot of us, but I can say that I’ve learned a valuable lesson.

When I first started high school, I absolutely loved it. I enjoyed getting the chance to see my friends and go to my classes every day. Yet, there was always the thought of wanting to graduate planted in the back of my mind. That thought recurred when I was a sophomore, grew even stronger as a junior and became my everyday wish the first semester of senior year. In times like now, when I sit in my bed and do nothing but online assignments and scholarships, I wish that I did not have such a premature desire to graduate. I wish I did not wish away that time.

I genuinely wish I would’ve enjoyed my previous years of high school much more. Before, I always anticipated having a senior prom and a graduation ceremony. I was looking forward to that chance. Now, everything is postponed or canceled, and we won’t get to have a traditional graduation ceremony in May. Everyone is drowning in such a time of uncertainty and we have to remember to take our time, day by day.

To everyone, enjoy the time you are currently living in now. Take each day with patience and caution. Instead of wishing to be in a better future, make your time now the best it can be. We have the ability to make every situation good or bad, so why not make our situation good? I would like to tell any underclassmen that you should not anticipate your senior year. Enjoy your time as a freshman or sophomore, because during that time, you will have so many opportunities and so much room to grow. It’s the time before you become flooded with strenuous school work and it’s the time when you don’t have to worry about college or scholarships. Take these years and make the best of them.

For my fellow seniors, I am sorry. It’s a painful thing to have such an important part of your life torn away from you. In 2007, on the first day of kindergarten, our brains could not understand what graduation was, considering we were more concerned about recess and lunch. During my freshman year, when I attended the 2017 graduation ceremony, the thought of me being the place of those seniors went completely over my head. The thought of having a graduation ceremony was mind-boggling and surreal. Now, not having a ceremony is even more surreal. While we can’t change reality, we can still take the necessary steps to prevent any further cases from happening in our area.

As seniors, though, please take this time to rest. For the past 13 years, we have exercised our brains and learned so much, but now, during this period of quarantine, don’t stress out over everything. Of course, we can’t avoid the task of online school, but we can have downtime to do the things we enjoy. As I said, this time does not have to be dark and negative. We can make the best of this situation.

So, yes, I am crushed that a lot of things that all seniors get were taken away from me. I am crushed that I did not get to have an ideal second semester of senior year. I am crushed that I did not get to start 2020 how I wanted to start. But, it’s never too late to start over. We can still make this year a good year.

We can all take this time now and make the best of it, while we remember that there is and there always will be a light at the end of the tunnel of darkness.

JellyRose wrote a review...

As someone who almost graduated from college this year (but due to personal events I could not), my friends are though, are just as devastated as you. It's like you all were torn away from getting to have those special moments. And I'm sorry.

This made me tear up, thinking about my little cousin and my best friend's little sister who were also seniors this year. And I wish I could give all of you the fun activities of senior year that you all deserve. If I could I would zap over fun things that you all worked hard for and deserve.

Anyways, this work is beautiful. It felt as if you and I were having a conversation, and you were telling me about your feelings in such a sophisticated manner. And I know this was for seniors in high school, but I could never imagine myself going through what is happening now at your age. All of you are incredible and so strong. But, keep up the amazing work.

(And good luck on those scholarships I believe in you ;) also protip: in college, there are also scholarships for when you're already in college, so keep an eye out for them- I learned about that from my academic advisor one day).

JenTep wrote a review...

You did wonderful with your flow of ideas! Each section had a point and hit it! You're experiencing something most people get in college: that longing to have better spent your time. Now all we have is time. Spend it how you see fit, I worked two jobs for countless years and now I'm resting and diving into my long lost hobbies like writing! It is a tragedy so many are losing out on so much but there is always the next big thing. Thank you for sharing and putting at ease some of the minds lost in this dire time.

Peace and blessings,
-J.T.

Tawsif wrote a review...

It's always good to read essays that speak about the narrator's personal experience. And you did an excellent job here in expressing your thoughts and feelings. Well done!

The essay flowed well. It was a smooth read. It made your emotions very clear and they could easily reach me. Such smoothness makes the essay easy to read and even easier to feel.

A few suggestions and opinions:

'In times like now, when I sit in my bed and do nothing but online assignments and scholarships.....'

I think 'do nothing but online assignments and look for/work for scholarships....' sounds more accurate.

'the thought of me being the place of those seniors went completely over my head.'

It should be 'me being in the place of....'.

'The thought of having a graduation ceremony was mind-boggling and surreal. Now, not having a ceremony is even more surreal.'

The irony in this sentence actually made me smile. I mean, it wasn't a happy smile, but more like a forced smile.

'As I said, this time does not have to be dark and negative.'

You can change 'time' into 'period' here. (Just a personal suggestion)

At last, you really made me feel sorry for you when I read the essay. I totally agree with your advises, and I'll also suggest you send it out to your high-school friends as well (if you haven't already done it, that is).

KEEP WRITING.

Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:08 am
BhavyaMehta123 wrote a review...

Hi! This small piece of work is enough to bring hope and light in this tough time. First of all, thank you for sharing this.This makes me feel positive than before. Last lines from your work are my absolute favorite.We ( as World) will surely find light at the end of the tunnel of darkness.
You have focused on theme of,"Not crying over spilled milk." Rather make best use of this situation we are in. Overall, I loved this and I feel it is well-written and filled with positive vibes.
All the best for your future works and Keep Writing!
From: Bhavya

We understand how dangerous a mask can be. We all become what we pretend to be.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind