12+ Violence Mature Content

The interesting life of Nova Sloane

by vampricone6783

*This is the life story of a girl named Nova Sloane, from my “Clowns, magic, murder, and lies” stories, underneath my folder “Clowns, magic, murder, and lies”. Gacha Club character designs are on my wall. Enjoy!*

Chapter One-Back home

BACK HOME

Nova stared out of the window, at the yellow house with white trim. It was her home, her home that she loved.

It was nice to come back after a long day at school.

Chapter Two-Worry

NIGHT

Nova lay in bed, wide awake. It was so silent that she couldn’t sleep. The noise was a song that sang her into closing her eyes, but the silence just felt like it was coming for her.

No, it’s okay. It’s just silence. Nothing is going to happen to me.

That did little to reassure her. Nova still had the aching thought that someone or something was going to find her, snatch her away…

Chapter Three-School

AT THE FRONT OF SCHOOL

“Have a good day, Nova!” Mom said.

“Thank you!” Nova beamed, walking up to the school steps.

It sure did feel cold outside…

Chapter Four-Friends

COMING TO CLASS

Nova walked into class, searching for her friends. Her desk was right in between theirs. They talked, but only when the teacher wasn’t looking.

Nova smiled when she noticed Nina waving at her, Ava beaming widely at her.

Chapter Five-Birthday party

“Do you want to come to Arista’s birthday party?” Nina asked. Nova was already in her seat, the teacher chattering on. Arista was Nina’s big sister.

“Will there be cupcakes?” Nova asked. That was all she cared about.

“Yes, of course!”

“I’ll come.”

“Yay!”

“You two in the back, quiet down.” Mrs. Arlina said, turning around.

Nina and Nova bowed their heads, embarrassed to be caught.

Chapter Six-After school

The school day had ended. The three girls were walking home together when suddenly, they all stopped in front of an old, rickety, white-painted house.

“This was the Morisons’ house.” Ava said.

“The Morisons?” Nova asked.

“Yes, the Morisons! They used to have a circus a long time ago. You don’t know the story?” Ava asked.

Both Nina and Nova nodded.

“None of you know the story?”

“Nope.” Nina replied.

“It goes like this: There was a Mom, a Dad, a boy, and two girls. The boy was older, so he had a job somewhere else. The Mom and Dad owned a circus. The older daughter was Kit the clown-“

“She was a clown?” Nova interrupted.

“Yes, she was a clown. The younger one was too little to do anything, she just liked going to the circus.”

“Everything was fine until the day Kit died.”

“Kit died?!” Nova interrupted yet again. She didn’t expect anyone to die in the story.

“Kit died. No one knows how. Some say that a demon made her do something bad to herself. They say that a demon killed her and her siblings-“

“Her siblings died?”

“Yes! Be quiet!”

“Sorry.”

“Anyway, some say that a demon killed her and her siblings. Others say that they just disappeared. But Kit’s ghost is in that house.” Ava said, pointing to the front door.

“Do you want to go inside?” She asked them.

“No way!” They said together, running away.

After they heard that story, they were never going in that house.

Chapter Seven-Upstairs

Nova opened the door to her house, expecting her parents to wait for her.

But no, they were upstairs. She could hear them.

“John, I didn’t mean to-“

“I know. You were trying to help me.”

“Why did you-“

“Because I love you.”

“Mom? Dad?” Nova asked, walking up the stairs. What were they talking about? Why did Mom sound scared? What was going on?

“Go downstairs, Nova!” Mom called out.

“But-“

“Now!”

Nova almost jumped back, but caught herself on the railing. Nobody ever yelled, so it must be serious.

She scrambled downstairs as if a crazed clown were about to snatch her away.

Chapter Eight-On bed

Nova sat on bed, thinking of her parents.

What was going on up there?

Why wouldn’t they let her in?

Why?

Chapter Nine-The party

NINA’S HOUSE-IN THE HALLWAY

Mom had let Nova come over to Nina’s house for Arista’s birthday party, since her friends would be there. Nina and Ava were playing with each other. Nova just walked in the halls, bored out of her mind.

“Hey Nova! Want to watch a movie with us?” Arista asked. Her door was creaked open, all of Arista’s friends were in her room.

“Sure!” Nova said brightly.

What could go wrong with a simple movie?

Chapter Ten-The movie

Nova scrambled to join them. One of them gently closed the door, another turned on the TV.

There was a city…at night…it was raining….kind of boring, actually….maybe Nova would leave…but why was the music so scary?

Wait…a woman was running…in an alley…being chased by a…a….a…

A clown.

The clown was laughing, his voice contorting into awful high-pitched squeals, a vile flash of color in calm darkness, rain sloshing underneath his boots, a crime against nature itself.

And still, Nova didn’t have the bones to get up. She was rooted in horror, watching as he caught up to the crying woman, so weak and frail, nothing but a ghost against The Devil, reduced to screaming and pleading on the concrete.

He brandished a green mallet with blue stars. With a grin of weaponed teeth, he raised the mallet above the woman and…and…

Her face was a decaying mass of blood, but still, she screamed and still, he hit her, every blow harder than the last.

Nova felt her own ribs constrict and go tight, her mouth dry with fear.

How could…why would…why…how…

“The clown is here!” Arista said, looking at the clock.

Clown? What clown?!

Chapter Eleven-The clown

Nova walked timidly down the stairs, following after Arista and her friends. Certainly, there couldn’t be any clown.

When Nova reached the last step, she saw him.

The clown, smiling, laughing, all in a blur of bright colors, a flash of crazy green hair, pointing in all directions.

“Come out, little girl! Come out and play!” The clown exclaimed. He had spotted her with his wild brown eyes…wait…did…did they have a hint of yellow? Or was that in Nova’s mind?

She felt her legs getting weak…her chest going tight…he was going to grab her with his gloved hands…she would die…just…like the woman….

“Mommy!” Nova cried, covering her tear-stained eyes.

She wanted to go home She wanted to go home She wanted to go home She wanted to go home…

Chapter Twelve-Going home

“Nova, you were never afraid of clowns. What happened now?” Mom asked gently. Nova was going back home after Nina’s Mom told her Mom what happened over the phone.

Nova was done crying, but her face was still wet with past tears.

“Well, Arista showed me…me…a…a…”

Should she really say anything?

“It’s okay, Nova. You can tell me.”

“Arista showed me a scary movie with a clown in it that killed people-“

“She did what?”

“She showed me a scary clown movie.”

“She did, didn’t she?”

“She did.”

“It’s alright, Nova. You’re not in trouble. I’m just going to talk to her Mom.”

“O-okay.”

Already, Nova felt a little better. Not entirely, but just a tad.

Chapter Thirteen-Spilt

THE NEXT DAY-MORNING

Nova watched as Dad drove away with his stuff. Mom told Nova that he needed to leave for his safety, so he could be okay.

But why would he need to be safe? Why would he need to leave?

What happened upstairs?

Chapter Fourteen-Yellow house

IN THE YELLOW HOUSE

Ava wanted them to come to the haunted yellow house after lunch.

The three of them were climbing up the stairs, to where the attic was.

“Do I dare open this door?” Ava asked, a wicked grin on her face.

Though Nova and Nina wanted to protest, they sucked it in and let Ava open it.

Behind the door was just dust and old things. Why were Nina and Nova so frightened? There was nothing to be afraid of.

Something fell on the ground, the only noise in the tomb. The girls turned their heads to the noise and…

A clown with long, pink hair and bright, bright red eyes stared back at them. She was so colorful and so tall, a shocking startle in such a dark, foggy, dust-ridden room.

Each and every one of them ran for that door, away into safety, into light.

Why did they come in the first place? For adventure? For fun?

There was no fun. Only danger, confusion, and clowns.

Chapter Fifteen-Circus show

MONDAY MORNING

Nova was in school, headed to class with her friends. No one else at school was at the birthday party except her friends, so why was she so nervous?

“Hi scaredy-cat!” Ryan said, waving at Nova.

“Why did he call me that?” Nova asked them. He would have only known if someone told him about the party.

“I may have told him about what happened at the party.” Nina said.

“Why? Why would you tell him?”

“He asked me about it! He was really nice…”

“You didn’t have to tell him that.”

“Guys, look!” Ava said. She had stopped in front of the flyer board, a board where all the town flyers were tacked on.

Ava was pointing at a blue flyer dotted with confetti and…and clowns.

With bright pink letters, it read:

Come see the Mothsbury clown show! Only on Wednesday, starting at 2:00 P.M. and ending at 3:00 P.M. .

What are you waiting for? Get your tickets NOW!

“Do you guys want to go to the clown show?” Ava asked.

“No!” Nina and Nova said.

“Really?”

“Yes, really.” Nova said.

Why did she want to scare them so bad? When would Ava learn?

“Fine.” Ava said, giving in.

Chapter Sixteen-A dream?

They were in the kitchen. John was cutting vegetables and accidentally sliced his hand. Nova was at school. She wasn’t there.

John held his bleeding hand. Even though there was pain, he didn’t wince. He trusted Penelope.

Penelope walked up to John slowly and raised her hand over the cut. It didn’t heal. Instead, it became even bigger, going down to his arm.

“You see? I can’t help you. I’ve been hiding my powers for so long, I don’t know how to use them.”

“Why do you stay? I’ll only hurt you.”

“Because I love you. I care about you.”

“But I’m only giving you pain.”

John walked to the bathroom, to get a first aid kit. He stopped suddenly at the bathroom door.

“Penelope, come here.”

Penelope walked over to him.

“You’re worth the pain.”

Nova woke up, eyes wide open, heart hammering in her chest. She dreamed about her parents. She knew their names, their stories. She even knew a few big words!

Mom was a…a…a witch. So was Nova! It was why Dad had to go. It was too much for him. He was just a human, after all.

No, that couldn’t be possible. Witches weren’t real. Were they? Were ghosts real? Was anything real?

The dream faded away into a blur the more Nova tried to remember it.

Would Nova ever understand?

Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:03 pm
PKMichelle wrote a review...

Hello friend!
Here to check out an older work and give it its second review!

Per my interpretation, this was a really fun, quick story! It had an interesting plot and was a joy to read!

Nova, a young girl, was invited to a friend's birthday party before they all walked by an abandoned house. There was legend about clowns, so most of them refused to go in. Back at home, Nova's parents were fighting, and it was getting heated. At the birthday party, the girls watched a scary clown movie before an actual clown showed up and scared Nova away. A little later in the story, the girls actually go into the house and see an actual clown, or at least the ghost of one. They run out, and the next day, it seems like nothing happened. At the end of the story, Nova has a dream, realizing that she's a witch and why her parents are fighting.

A lot happened in this short story, but it was really entertaining!

If I could offer any sort of advice, it would be related to a spacing issue that occurs in chapter five when they were in class talking about the birthday party. You said,

Mrs.Arlina said, turning around.

There should be a space after "Mrs." to make the text look more like this:

Mrs. Arlina said, turning around.

But, obviously, this is just a suggestion, and it's always up to the writer, so please take this criticism lightly and know that I mean nothing negative by it—only trying to provide a somewhat useful critique.

If I had to pick my favorite part, it would definitely have to be the foreshadowing and build-up throughout the entire story! It made it very enjoyable to read, and it made the actual moment much more exciting!

The first thing that caught my eye related to this foreshadowing came in chapter seven, when Nova's parents yelled at her. You said,

Not knowing what was going to happen next, this was quite funny, and after reading what happened next, it was both funny and ironic, at least how I viewed it. Both ways, this was really well done, especially considering what comes next. So good job there!

Another thing just like this comes a little later in chapter fourteen, when they were going into the yellow house. You said,

Why were Nina and Nova so frightened? There was nothing to be afraid of.

I thought this was really great! And absolutely wonderful foreshadowing, considering just a moment later you would say,

The way she thinks there's nothing to be afraid of, but there very much was, was quite comical. And the way clowns were such a center piece of Nova's life leading up to that moment made it all the better, so kudos for writing all of this the way you did!

Overall, this was a fantastic story! I had a lot of fun reading and taking in this character!

Thank you for taking the time to write and post this, and I hope this review is of some use to you!

Goodbye for now! I hope you have a magnificent day (or night) wherever you are!

Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:47 pm
DeadMenTe11N0Tales wrote a review...

Back Home, the first chapter of this story, seemed to set a wholesome tone for a young girl coming home from school. But quickly, the tone shifts to a kind of anxiety-driven plot involving a girl’s fear of someone or something finding her. Though it’s not entirely clear what she’s afraid of, Chapter Two – Worry really leans into the fear factor with its description of silence being an unknown that might come to "get" Nova. Yikes.

Chapter Three – School is a little more laid back, but all too quickly, Chapter Four – Friends gets dark again with its mention of a ghost in an old house with a creepy backstory. Great. We’re only a few chapters in and there’s already fear of clowns, ghosts, and something coming to get Nova.

Chapter Ten – The Movie takes the creep factor of the story to a new level entirely. A crying woman is brutally murdered by a clown with a green, star-covered mallet? What? Is this a children’s story or a Stephen King novel?

Chapter Thirteen – Spilt teases the audience with something happening upstairs that Nova can’t know about. While this might help build tension and keep readers invested in the story, it’s ultimately frustrating when there’s no explanation offered.

Chapter fifteen – Circus show sees the return of the clown fear factor. Why are clowns so terrifying in this story?! The mention of a town-wide clown show sends the protagonists and readers alike into a panic, with two out of the three young girls immediately shouting, "No!" when asked if they want to go.

Finally, we come to Chapter Sixteen – A Dream? which sees Nova dreaming of her parents and coming to the realization that her mother and herself might be witches. This sudden introduction of magic into the story feels jarring and out of place compared to the other threats that have popped up so far. It will be interesting to see where this plot twist goes in the remaining chapters.

Overall, this story seems to be struggling to find its tone and pacing. One moment it's a lighthearted tale of a girl coming home from school and in the next it’s a horror story featuring murders and ghosts. While variety can be interesting, it also makes the story feel disjointed and difficult to follow. And the fear factor is getting a little tiresome. While fear can be an effective storytelling tool, it’s important to balance it with other elements to give the story depth and variety. Hopefully, this story can find a more cohesive tone in the remaining chapters.

Whew, I'm done.
Yippee!
Good Job.

I am and always will be optimist, the hoper of far-flung hopes, the dreamer of improbable dreams.
— 11th Doctor