12+

Queen of the Lake- Setup ( Just Notes BTW)

by VegasLights

Characters- 

Adaline Fisher - important character, model, goes missing in 2017

Richard-*MAIN* important Character, the photographer, tries to find Adaline

Queen/ Dorothy- important character, 18- year old girl goes missing in 1917 who seeks revenge 

Caroline Fisher- kindive important character, Adalines Great Grandmother *rest is a mystery for now*

*More characters to come, just getting the most important ones out there*

Setting-  Main focus area- A quiet area known as Amory, Mississippi in 2016/2017. Events take place at the lake and a cabin. Adaline lives here

Secondary focus area-  Busy area among Long Island, New York in 2017. Events take place at Richards home and work.

Problem: Adeline goes missing, due to what happened 100 years ago. 

What Richard is trying to do: Richard wants to help find Adeline, even though everyone else have given up all hope. He is trying to find her because of something that happened at work. What happened was, he needs more pictures for the magazine that they are making, so he returns to Amory to take the pictures. But, after searching around for her, he soon realizes that no one knows where Adeline is. 

Plot: It starts out as a mystery in 1917, where Dorothy Sullivan goes missing. No one knows, but, Caroline Fisher, who has something to do with Dorothy's disappearance. Now, in 2017 the same thing happens, but too Caroline's great-grandchild! Richard was the only one there at the time, and now he is a suspect in the case. 

*More information to come*  

Dracula wrote a review...

Hey, Steam! Here are some of my thoughts on your notes.

Your female characters all have pretty unusual names, as far as names go. Then your main is just called 'Richard'. This reminds me of other main characters with normal names, like 'James' Bond or 'Tom' Sawyer. I think it will do well in showing how he's a normal guy who's plunged into a strange, mysterious plot.

I wonder what sort of pictures Richard is looking for? Just a word of advice- when you're writing your story, make sure Richard has a reason to get so involved in finding her. Why does he care so much? Just wanting pictures doesn't really cut it, in my opinion. Does he find out she's related to him? Does he get threatened, does she remind him of his own kidnapped (and lost) daughter? He needs some real motivation.

Reading on... is his reason for wanting to find her that he desires to clear his name? Keep in mind that if he's a suspect, the police are probably monitoring him and/or trying to catch him. So that's an obstacle.

Make sure you consider the middle and ending! You have a good basis to start on though. :D

Carlito wrote a review...

Hello hello! :D I love me a good mystery and a good layered plot. It looks like you're going to have both of these things in your novel!

For future reference, this type of information - the background/set-up/notes can be posted over in the Writer's Corner. The writer's corner was designed as a place to talk about your projects, your plots, your characters, your ideas and have people give you thoughts and feedback on those projects/plots/characters/ideas. You don't have to spend any points on it and you'll typically get a lot of really good and helpful responses! It's okay that you posted it here, but typically when you post through the publishing center people are expecting the actual story.

But since we're here!

This is a pretty bare bones set-up so far, which is fine. It's your novel and your notes, and I totally get that you don't want to spoil anything :) I really like that it's centering around two disappearances 100 years apart. I'm guessing that they're going to be connected in some way. ;)

Let's talk really quick about writing your blurb or your main description of what the plot is going to be about because right now I'm not 100% sure where you're going with this story. Is it going to be in first or third or something else? Who is the story going to center on? Is the MC Adaline or Richard or someone else? I get that there are several important characters, but who is the real star of the show? (Like in Harry Potter, Harry, Ron, and Hermione are all really important characters but the star of the show is Harry). What does that person want, and what is the major conflict? Maybe Adaline wants to research Dorothy's kidnapping for a school project but then she's kidnapped herself. Maybe Richard is trying to get a promotion at work but then he witnesses a kidnapping and is thrown into this big mess. Then, what is that character going to do to try to solve the problem? Maybe Adaline is going to try to hatch a plan to escape and uncover the big secret. Maybe Richard is going to defend himself while working to uncover the truth. Obviously there will be a lot of other lines to the story and other things going on, but what is the central line or the central conflict going to be?

From the little you've revealed here, I think it has the potential to be a really cool story! Let me know if you have any questions, and feel free to tag me if you'd like me to read it once you start posting chapters! :D

VegasLights says...

@Carlito I have revealed the prologue if you would like to read it. Thanks for the help!

Carlito says...

Awesome! I'll add you to my list and hopefully I'll get to it this review day! :D

VegasLights says...

Feel free to comment any suggestions. Just know, that if I put a lot of information I will spoil it, so that is why there isn't a lot of notes.

If you have a Kuzco in your life and they don't turn into a llama, bail.
— Alan SeaWright