12+

Salvation of Ignorance - Chapter 8.1: He Soon Became Haunted

by rawrafied

It was, regretfully, Niall’s responsibility to admit that not once, in the past month, had he successfully retrieved in-progress paperwork from storage. In Niall’s defense, he was merely responding to nature’s will of him.

The first week was partially his fault. An underestimate of the lull of a shifting vessel, despite minimalist waves, convinced him to limit his time away from slumber. What fault he may claim, reason abolished after considering the bed of his childhood home had been confiscated by two conniving ladies. In his humble opinion, it was generous of him to ask for a mere week’s worth of recovery compared to the adequate amount he felt entitled to.

As for the following week, the lull of the sea intensified by nature’s fury. Therefore, the excess sleep, in this event, clearly excluded him from fault.

Where ownership of blame could be argued was within the following two weeks.

It started when he first emerged from the deck. The time had to be approximately some period past when it was no longer night time. Niall intended to seek a particular crew member about the location of his cargo and its eventual retrieval.

“Ah, Mr. Claremont,” A voice,within proximal distance, called after Niall had succeeded in scaling the steps from the quarters below.

Niall appeared to have interrupted the First Lieutenant’s leisurely stroll about the deck. Well, perhaps not 'leisurely', considering he was accompanied by Peter.

Being the gentleman that Niall was, he bowed for the crewman and Nancy boy. The First Lieutenant returned the gesture that was clearly rhythmic for him. Meanwhile, Peter strained himself with finding the generosity to present a nod of his head. Niall supposed he would too if his own was as swollen.

“How are your accommodations?” The crewman spoke after excess examination of the other two men.

Niall broke from his resolve to hold his tongue and answered, “As pleasant as the first trip, thank you for inquiring.”

The Lieutenant gave a momentary glance at Peter before replying, “If you don’t mind my askin’, what persuaded you to return so soon?”

Generally, Niall would’ve been more than eager to inform that the crewman had overstepped his boundary, while restraining a harsh lecture in consideration of the sea-bound title. But, on this occasion, he preferred, “Oh, a minor precaution. I'd simply overheard that bad air was corrupting wheat crops. I felt my possible investment futile in a crop that was behaving intolerant."

“Really? I was considering investing stock in that market. What did you base your calculations upon?”

“What Mister Claremont means,” Peter withdrew from purposely positioning himself to flamboyantly declare his desire to disregard Niall’s presence, “Is that wheat should be grafted to his will--even if he desires to humiliate a madam that the wheat fancies--and find validity in his pretense."

“…Oh.” The Lieutenant turned his glance to Niall.

On reflex, the baron pinched his nose. Peter would be selfish enough to involve an outsider in their strife. Niall considered apologizing on his (and it strained him to still admit this) friend’s behalf, but gratefully acknowledged that doing so would furnish the tension. Relieving his nose of pressure, he addressed the Lieutenant, “Actually, I had surfaced to seek the gentleman in charge of my luggage.”

The crewman entertained the change of topic. “Yes, I know the man. Any inquiries I may settle on his behalf?”

Niall waved the notion away. “No need. I merely wish to retrieve some artifacts.”

“You wish to detain a sailor merely for trivial possessions?” Peter chimed in. “Are you a blind witness to their required occupation toward maintenance?”

Niall blinked. “My vision is exemplary, thank you for asking.”

“Perhaps you should return to your slumbers and refrain from disturbing my employees.”

Biting his inner cheek did little to cease Niall’s retort. Peter had the nerve to embellish his speech with a puff of his scrawny chest and glower to portray an image of authority. Niall eyed his friend, contemplating the worth in unleashing a retort. His pride confirmed the value, but with a subordinate as a witness, Niall’s compassion for the ignorant prevailed.

After a farewell bow, he descended the steps.

The remainder of the third week was spent stowed away in his arrangements,for either the storm had left the vessel utterly eradicated or the seamen were contracted around their leisure. Towards the end of this period, Niall strained himself to see merit in his path of righteousness and not storm the deck in blatant defiance of Peter’s wish. Keeping his devious contemplations in check was the sporadic appearances of his roommate, Peter. Truthfully, Niall was only able to derive the adequate period of time in passage thanks to his sour friend, who solely returned for minimum slumber.

Anyway, the shortened text was that the initial argument of blame-shaming was mute since Peter was a man of one and twenty with the mentality of a five-year-old.

Yawning, Niall exhibited the fruit of his labor to succeed his resolution for this newly sprung month. While Peter was occupied pretending to play merchant above and the sailor in charge of Niall's luggage a phantom, Niall took it upon himself to retrieve his own paperwork.

Though he managed to locate storage, his personal belongings seemed impossible to locate. Irritated by efforts that went ungratified, and a fear to be caught by a sailor who would gossip about the incident rather than assist, Niall desisted from the task at hand and settled with retreating for the time being.

After climbing the storage ladder, he encountered a gossip far worse than a sailor.

Miss Barrettmore stood at the room's opposing side and, had it not been for the narrow passageway and the ladder's positioning, he would've missed her.

Stepping out of the lower compartment, the cover of the outlet slammed shut. Practically symmetrical to the sound obstruction, from the corner of his eye, he noticed the space, between the wall and her person, diminish.

Despite the length of their travel, he made a fortune from calling this a mere, third-too-many happenchance. Niall had been kind enough to remain courteous in her presence and avoid conversation. Thus had been his intention once more (and, hopefully, for finalities), considering he was still being reprimanded from their last conversation.

The hollowed clops of his boots over-powered his senses as he neared the chit because his temporary, living arrangements had been ill-placed behind Miss Barrettmore. As corrupting as the thought was to liberate his momentum, Niall denied the forbidden fruit and proceeded to tower over her, despite the distance provided. Granted, his newly acclaimed height was in part by Miss Barrettmore's hunched shoulders as her arms aided her chest's attempt to swallow blackened papers on her person. Quite similar to the state she had been in when he and Mrs. Emmons happened upon her hidden amongst forestation those weeks ago.

Wasting as little time as possible, he made his bow and addresses. Diverting her attention from inspecting the wall, she turned to do the same, successfully keeping upon her two feet on this attempt.

Then it was complete. Momentum was free to commence.

"--orry."

Niall blinked.

Having prospered from three steps, his curiosity for the completed utterance lead to a deduction. Facing the girl, he almost felt compelled to question his excellent, auditory skills when it appeared her attention was once again in the wall. The question was snuffed after acknowledging that her body had been adjusted to view Niall's new position.

"Yes?" His curiosity chipped in to propagate completion.

Her eyes remained attached to the wall, but her hands sent echoes of crinkled papers through the hall.

"Um," she started, "Sorry."

Niall eyed her suspiciously. "...For?"

Her eyes flew to the floor above. Exhaling from her nose, she looked very unapologetic. "'For'...well..."

She paused and Niall hoped she was using this opportunity to think.

Breaking from the opportunity, her eyes dropped to the floor and her shoulders rose inward. "For divulging your secret to my friend." Her head rose to eye level, but settled to the left of him. "She does so well at keeping mine that I had not considered how it may be perceived by others."

Their gaze met for a mere millisecond before hers dropped once more and his own settled on the wall.

Immediately following the segregation of their gazes, Miss Barrettmore added, "But I confided in solely her."

And then his chest began to itch.

He dug his nails into his palms. "Well...I see," He said, for some reason believing her. "Then I suppose I'm sorry for allowing my temper to connive me into confronting the issue at the expense of your secret."

"Oh...well...thank you."

The papers crinkled.

"Actually," She piped, prompting Niall's immediate return to eyeing her cautiously, "Speaking of...'secrets'...um, there was one matter I wished to address."

She began smoothing the wrinkled pages, making Niall strain to hear her mumbles, "The other, um...the thing you accused me of...it still remains untrue, but thank you for not informing Mr. Talwin of your specula--err, concerns."

Niall's brows dropped, parting his lips, not quite so naïve as to believe her as liberally as he did on her last 'clarification'. Scoffing, he tried himself to keep his eyes from rolling.

"Madam--," and he was generous to give her such an address, "--I appreciated the civility in your presentation. However, you cannot believe me a simpleton to be easily persuaded from palpable signs."

At this point, her mouth had instinctively formed its inner curvature. But, fortunately, her favorite syllable had remained shy.

Adjusting his stance, Niall began to clarify, "The day after the festivities at the town hall. In the woods. Where you stumbled upon my walk with Mrs. Emmons..."

Her scrunched brows and shrugged mouth tested his temper once more, but--even if it would keep him in check--it would be most unseemly to await Peter's venture below deck.

Niall exhaled himself back to equilibrium. "Anyway, to be frank, I saw you with a gentleman's jacket, your cheeks reddened, bonnet forsaken, and Mrs. Emmons herself admitted you were five lots from your own establishment."

Brows still scrunched, the line of her lips curved downward. Enveloping the leaflets beneath the crossing of her arms, her eyes glided to the wall. "I--um." She swallowed, and her reply was, "I like to walk there. No one else does."

Niall grinned. "So, you admit that no one else would disturb you there."

Miss Barrettmore snuck a peek at him from her shamefully, lowered head. "...Yes."

"And, perhaps, not anyone else you may be with?"

Her cheeks flushed and her eyes glossed. His grin required too much effort to sustain.

Niall flexed his hands. "Look, as you've witnessed, I'm not particularly conservative in my lifestyle either and I've no objections with your past. Granted, I doubt Talwin to be as liberal, but, given your background, you may find another eligible gentleman to--."

"Please, no more!"

Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:33 pm
Aley wrote a review...

Hello rawrafied,

I'm Aley and I'll be reviewing your style today. Seeing as I haven't read the story, I won't comment on plot or character, but I think I can find stuff to talk about in your actual style, so no biggie really. Hopefully my review will help you!

That being said, let's get started. I like that your style has a good flow. The way you put together words makes them transition well from one sentence to the next. It's a poetic thing, not a novel thing, but it does make for better reading as long as you're not looking at the subject of those sentences or really trying to pin down what is actually going on.

For me, the main problem with your writing style is longevity. You draw out words and sentences that really don't need to be drawn out. That was obvious from the very first sentence of this chapter which I wouldn't have kept reading if I wasn't reviewing because I don't like that sort of drawn out style. I like quick things that get to the meat of the matter rather than things that dilly-dally around the purpose of what they're saying, even if they are saying it smoothly.

Let's take a look at it.

It was, regretfully, Niall’s responsibility to admit that not once, in the past month, had he successfully retrieved in-progress paperwork from storage.

So let's break this down into sentence structure.

We have the subject "It was Niall's responsibility" and the predicate "to admit that not once had he successfully retrieved in-progress paperwork from storage."

In both the subject and the predicate you have clip-ons, more or less. The interjections are supposed to add direction and meaning beyond the meaning of the words. You have "regretfully" and "in the past month" as your interjections, you think.

To me, this looks like a case of a strange grammar structure and meaning. What's actually being said here? What did you want the reader to understand?

I think what you wanted to say was something such as "Niall hadn't once successfully retrieved in-progress paperwork from storage in the past month." I only think that, however, because you could literally mean "Niall's regret admitted he hadn't done his job" as in, his regrets are able to speak, they are able to move around on their own, and they are blabbing on him.

The reason I think this is the sentence you're looking for is because if we boil it down, your subject isn't talking about the actual subject, it's talking about the regrets of the subject. In other words, your first sentence in chapter 6 isn't about your main character on a literal point.

Moreover, you're trying to avoid "hadn't," I think because it's negative, however this situation actually requires some negative language. After all, he's done something negative and therefor you have no escape. You either use "unsuccessfully" or "hadn't successfully."

The problem isn't that it's bad English, it's just that it's confusing. When you attach words together like that, it takes more time to determine what's actually being said. For me, the confusion was early. "It was regretfully Niall's responsibility to admit" is a really long way to say "Niall" and if you really wanted to avoid "Niall had to admit" then you could always just go with "Niall hadn't done his job in a month." After all, it's the truth, isn't it?

The time had to be approximately some period past when it was no longer night time.

This is another sentence where you're messing up by trying to be creative with how you say it. Just say it.

If you're going to approximate time, then approximate it. Mid Morning or Early Evening or Sunrise, Sunset, all of them would be prefereable to this approximation. "Approximately" as a word should be followed by some length of measure. Now unless this is a scallywag who doesn't know the word "daytime" I think we can make a better statement than "approximately after when it's dark." After all, that statement doesn't make much sense. If we're almost, or kind of almost, after the period when it's not night, then wouldn't we just be during day? To me it seems lke you're going a long way out of your way to say something that would be simpler without the approximation. Especially since the "Approximately" makes it sound really awkward.

Given these two examples, I think what you need to do is think about simplifying your writing style. You don't need to be so "creative" when it comes to sentence structure. I know sometimes I get on a kick like that where I want to write really fancy words, and say them in artistic ways, but in a novel, it often detracts from the meaning you're trying to imply. Novels should be about the scene and the actions, not the words making them. We shouldn't be drawn out of the idea that the novel is just in our minds, and I feel like some of your awkward phrasing does that. It pulls me out of reading and makes me wonder what's actually happening rather than allowing me to sink into the book.

Here's another example of what I mean.

Meanwhile, Peter strained himself with finding the generosity to present a nod of his head. Niall supposed he would too if his own was as swollen.

Now, at first I was okay with "Meanwhile, Peter strained himself with finding the generosity to presenta nod of his head." but I didn't understand what was going on. I'm sure you've made this deck worker commically fat after reading the second line, but the first line just made him sound like he was snobby or overworked, like he couldn't bother to nod to this man because he just didn't care, THAT much. It was actually an effort for him to think about and enact nodding to this man he didn't care about. That made perfect sense to me. Then I read the second sentence.

"Niall supposed he would too if his own was as swollen" This doesn't make sense out of context. "His own" What? His own hat? neck? head? face? What's swollen? Is it actually swollen or is it fat? What are we talking about here! I feel like I've just been dropped some giant clue but I don't have a decipher ring, and I don't really think it's that important to the story. Also, "he supposed he would" what? If we want to make that sentence easy to read, we need to fill in these facts. "Niall supposed he would [find it hard to nod?] too, if he was as swollen [in the neck?]" Because I honestly don't know what you were going for, I am just going to leave it at that. Hopefully that shows you why simple writing is better.

It is said in writing books that prepositions, passive voice, and adverbs should be elliminated from a work as much as possible to ensure the work is as smooth and quick to read as possible. Many times what is said using these devices could be said quicker without them.

In your case, I think you get preposition happy. Prepositions are words that tell you what's around something, or the time that something happened in relationship to something else. That list includes words like "of, around, after, before, behind, front, above, below, in, out, on." I think in your case you're getting carried away with these and their partners. In the case of the aformentioned sentence, we have a stack of modifiers a mile high.

"Peter strained himself with finding the generosity to present a nod of his head." Couldn't we just say "Peter strained to nod?" I mean, that tells us who and what better than the other sentence because we don't have to search through "himself with finding the generosity to present a ... of his head" and it gets it down to just 4 words. 4 words are easier to read than 13.

In novels, word count matters. You can get to a 50,000 word book without moving a character if you extend detail and inflate sentences, and you only have about 100,000 words max for most publishing houses to say what you want to say about this story.

This isn't a case where you need to inflate your word-count, it's a place where inflating your word-count kills the story. After all, your judge has to stay interested, and who would be interested to read a bunch of frivolous words?

I think what your style of writing needs at this ponit is some serious trimming. I would love to challenge you to write a 500 word story about a love triangle. That's a good subject for a short story, and I think you can do it, but you're going to have to use concise language and potentially read how other people do 500 word drabbles.

These might not be the best examples, but I think they might help you simplify your style a little better. Here is a list of 500 word stories that you can read. Just click on title or a picture and read away.

All in all, I think simplifying your work won't destroy your flow at all. You're good at writing things which read smoothly in terms of sounds, but you need to work towards clarity and simplicity to get less words/page and more words with meaning on a single page. That will speed up the story and allow you to delve further into characters with internal thought, interactions, descriptions of how they look, or are acting, and that is where the spice of a story is.

If this didn't help, let me know and I'll do my best to find some way to help you!

Hi there.
I haven't read anything other than this chapter of your novel, so I'm going to keep my comments to grammar and structure. Unfortunately this means I can't say anything about plot or character development, but if you're particularly concerned about either of these just give me a shout and I'll try my best to read the rest.

I find this sentence reads a little off. I think it's to do with the repetition of 'time', but can't be sure. Just wanted to bring it to your attention.

Overall, this was a pleasant read. I'm a fan of your main character, and I like the way he thinks. The interaction between characters was entertaining, though sometimes I was confused as to who was who as you described them differently. I understand this was to stop repetition of names/descriptions, but I think it would be worth reading through again just to make it clearer. However, this could be down to me not knowing your characters, so feel free to completely ignore this remark.

One thing I would say is that at the beginning of the chapter (less so at the end) your sentence structure is quite repetitive. You seem to be a fan of lng sentences, with multitudes of commas in them. I'm also guilty of this, but it would be good to intersperse these sentences with some shorter ones, just to make the speed change and make it easier and more interesting to read.

I understand you've split your chapter to post (which I completely agree with) but it might be better next time to end on something more definite, as people are likely to read one part without the other.

I'm afraid that's about all I have here. I really enjoyed your writing technique and the presentation of your characters and I hope you continue to write like this. I hope I've been helpful in some way!

Until next time,
Icy

rawrafied says...

Actually, you did read this first part of Chapter 6 a few years ago. ^_^ But I wouldn't expect you to remember from that long ago. xD And I would love your feedback on characters and plot. But there's a lot to read, so only if you want. :]

Thank you for your feedback and mixing what you like with what you dislike. It was very helpful to me, since either you confirmed my suspicions and/or gave me a better direction with my future edits. :D

Yeah, I complete agree about the odd chapter cut. I wrote this chapter a few years ago and I never really considered that issue before. Hopefully I can avoid that with future chapters. ^_^

“Though lovers be lost, love shall not; And death shall have no dominion.”
— Dylan Thomas