Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » Review

A Million Little Pieces

by lin night

A Million Little Pieces is the true story of a 23-year old writer addicted to drugs and alcohol who is checked into a treatment clinic with the highest success rate in the world: 17%. The narrative reads similarly to Fight Club though it is a lot more wearisome at 383 pages. First hundred pages or so are brutally graphic and depressing but it gets easier to read as his condition improves. Passages involving his love interest are simply beautiful, and it all seems to end on a happy note until a final page detailing what happened to his friends after release puts a permanent damper on things. Worth a read if you're interested in the subject.

Rydia says...

Ah, I'm rather fond of tragic books and this looks like a good read. Anyone know the author?

These were autumn mornings, the time of year when kings of old went forth to conquest; and I, never stirring from my little corner in Calcutta, would let my mind wander over the whole world.
— Rabindranath Tagore, The Cabuliwallah