12+

To Love and To Sin

by trashykawa

He's edging a cliff on this stormy morn.

As he drowns in his condemning sins

A fear, a darkness, in his heart is borne

He desperately prays it does not win.

.

This life, he believes, no one cares to save;

One more step and he'll fall to his grave.

He takes a deep breath, a cold, lifeless breath

The last taste of air before the claims of death.

.

His last words, no one would ever know

A death of winter, solitude, and sorrow.

One step closer, says the voice in his brain,

Whispers in his heart: You'll survive the rain.

.

But oh! How could he part, with the love of his heart;

This was the only hill:

The love for whom he'd fallen, is the love that is forbidden,

Yet, he loves him still.

.

"Teren, my heart! Come back to me!"

A voice carries out across the sea,

"To love and to sin, are two very different things,

And when all seems lost, our love shall win."

.

Teren looks back, to see his face

To see him running, to feel his embrace,

"But our love is a sin," Teren says to him,

"And this is a war that we cannot win."

.

"So I was a mistake, something you regret,

Is that what you want to say?

Then for you sake, leave me cold and wet,

And I shall never again come in your way."

.

Teren's broken heart breaks a little more,

For he cares for Julian like no one before,

He kisses him lightly; his lips part at the touch

He murmurs to him, "My darling, I love you, so very much."

.

Julian looks up at him, up at his broken smile

"Come away with me then, it's been a while

Since I've had you in my arms at night,

Forget what worries you, it'll be alright."

.

Says Teren: "But what of my family, what will they say?

If I bring them such dishonor, they'll cast me away."

Says Julian, "I ask you not to choose between kin and me,

Have courage, have faith, and help your family to see

You would have been different, if god had willed you to be

One loves who he wants to love; for this love is gender-free."

.

In each other's arms,

they are home at last

All of these battles, together they'll face.

Love has the power, to lay all to waste;

Love is a heaven that death can't replace.

for #malec

CJ6233 wrote a review...

I love this so much! I have a sibling who is bisexual and was afraid of coming out because he thought we wouldn't accept him and we told him we would see him the same. This speaks out to me because my mothers friend is gay, one of my best friends is lesbian and I'm asexual. So I love how you've shown that love can be shown regardless of gender! I don't see many gay, lesbian, bi etc. poems on here and the fact I found this one and its so well written is amazing! I love everything you've done with it, the way it rhymes at the last word, and the way they speak is so fascinating because you can hear the pain and love they feel. My favourite line is the last one ' Love is a heaven that death can't replace.' because it is so substantial because it overthrows death and pain and shows us the more powerful things in life. :D. I'm really sorry if I've gone on a long rant, but this really was amazing! I don't see anything really to give you advice on but maybe you could clear up who was speaking in the 7th stanza? Either that or its obvious and I'm just slow! I do know who is speaking though so maybe a little explanation like describing him as he says it? Hope this helps!

trashykawa says...

hi! the speaker in the seventh stanza is Julian, of course, though i see why it would be unclear.
thanks again for speaking so kindly anout this poem! your feedback is appreciated

I absolutely love this! I'm new to this website, and this was the first thing I've read on here. I felt every word you wrote and connected with this poem on a whole other level. I started tearing up at "Julian looks up at him, up at his broken smile" and was a crying mess from then onwards. I can't wait to read your other works. :)

trashykawa says...

glad you liked it %u263A And welcome to YWS.

AmberSunset wrote a review...

This piece is absolutely amazing. I myself am a hopeless romantic and a poet. This price just combined them both! I loved the plot and it really touched me. It was a strong and inspiring piece. Your word choice added to the effects of the story. Very well written. I did not notice any grammatical errors. This made your piece much easier to read! Your way of rhyming wavered a bit, but it did not take much away from the piece. It was a magnificent read, and I am very ecstatic to read more from you! This type of writing is my style and I hope to see more like this. Keep writing!! :)

Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:07 pm
potatoefry2001 wrote a review...

Wow. First of all, I must say, you really have a way with words. I love the line that says "In each other's arms, they are home at last." I also love the line that says, "love is a Heaven that death can't replace." You have me almost in tears with this mood altering, heart shattering piece. I love the simplicity of your writing. You figured out how to make something so simple into something that was extravagant. You should really be proud of your writing. I know sometimes it can be a blessing and a curse, but in your case, it is definitely a blessing. I can't wait to read another piece by you. I know this is supposed to be a review, but I don't have anything to say to critique your work. Just keep up the good work and have fun! Happy Writings! 'Tato out. :D :D :D :D

Also happy late welcome to the YWS!!! :D:D:D:D:D

trashykawa says...

thank you! this makes me feel so happy!

I hope everyone's safe and sound and has some potatoes in the pantry.
— Arcticus