z

Young Writers Society


12+

Free of Those Chains

by trashykawa


under

the water i dive.

feet first, arms flailing

for once not caring

about grace.

-

i break through the cold surface

the water gliding over my body,

wrapping around my curves,

loving me.

-

it is quiet

under the water

a still calm,

nothing but fathoms of sea

and beautiful creatures; beautiful lifelessness

beautifully forsaken.

-

i can hear my heart beat

and the sea roaring in my veins

as i hold my breath,

the spiral of thoughts no longer crowd inside me

my body hums to me

Now You’re Free

-

the water is no longer cold

it has become my hearth

and i warm myself, i revive myself.

-

i forget

all my pain, all my ache;

no more blood, no more hurt

no one to tell me i’m not good enough.

under the water,

i am no longer broken.

here i am perfect.

i have become the water

no longer rooted

but flowing

with no direction,

flowing Free.

and that’s exactly how i want it to be.

-

i hold my breath

because i do not want this to go away

-

the water is singing to me

i hear the music

feel it flowing through my blood

making my heart beat

louder and louder.

so loud.

.

.

my lungs fill

with water.

and i surrender

to the Freedom.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
43 Reviews


Points: 311
Reviews: 43

Donate
Fri May 17, 2019 4:08 pm
Miraculor77 says...



That last stanza hit hard. I was immediately reminded of the book All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven. Have you read it?

I really didn't realize what this poem was about until I saw the last stanza.

This is a beautiful poem, but it's heartbreaking.




trashykawa says...


All the bright places. Of course i have. beautiful book.
thank you for your time reading this!



Random avatar

Points: 0
Reviews: 156

Donate
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:30 pm
KatjaDawn wrote a review...



Hello hiraeth, Katja here to review your poem! As always please feel free to disregard any and all comments or suggestions I make should you find them to be unhelpful. With that being said, onto the review! :)

Overall Opinion & Interpretation

I love that your poem, first and foremost, has a free flowing and unrestricted form. It really helps emphasize the mental state of the narrator with the semi-choppy lines and free flow. From someone who uses very strict rhyme schemes and formats, I personally struggle with this, so it always impresses me when I see a well-done poem in this way.

While reading each stanza in your poem I will admit it took me till the very last one to fully understand that this was about suicide. Not the fault of the writer, I simply am pointing out that it surprised me a bit and hit me a lot harder than I thought it would.

I interpreted this to be the mindset of someone escaping an abusive relationship or situation of some sort, emotionally and physically;

no more blood, no more hurt

no one to tell me i’m not good enough.


by committing suicide.

I almost feel like they weren't 100% sure they wanted to go through with it;

i hold my breath

because i do not want this to go away


but only because of the "peace" they felt under the water which made them feel free.

my lungs fill

with water.

and i surrender

to the Freedom.


This last stanza hit me REALLY HARD. As i stated earlier, I didn't realize until this stanza that it was about suicide, and this took me by surprise. I empathized with the narrator and felt pained that they feel that drowning themselves would give them "freedom" From what was driving them to do this (I assume abuse on some level based on the lines I stated earlier).

I've lost family members to suicide, so it definitely hit me hard; It brings me to tears thinking about how someone; whether close to us or someone we don't know, can be driven to feel death is the only way out of whatever it is they may be going through.... Breaks my heart! ):

If the goal was to put us in the mindset of someone driven to suicide, you did a job well done. I hope this poem is not something the writer is actually feeling and just want to say that there is ALWAYS another way and people who truly care and would help.

Otherwise, I feel your poem was well-written and definitely made me feel for the narrator...


i revive myself.


This line was my favorite. While this poem is quite sad and morbid; the use of the word "revive" in a poem about suicide, made me feel like I was inside the person's mind. They seem to feel like death is their "freedom" and their "revival", which is the opposite of what one would rationally feel and think. Well-written but heart-breaking.


Please reach out if you or anyone else is ever feeling like suicide is an option. There are people who care and will help...

I have no suggestions for you today. I look forward to reading more of your work soon!

Keep writing,

-Katja




trashykawa says...


Thank you so much for understanding. And I'll be alright. Writing is my tether to the world; as long as it's strong, I will be too.

Speaking of which, i tend to have rhyming schemes (they're not very though) in my poems too; mostly all of them rhyme. I wanted this one not to because this one was real. Words don't rhyme in my head, so I didn't want them to here either.

Thank you again for your time and your review.

:) :D



User avatar
19 Reviews


Points: 152
Reviews: 19

Donate
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:36 am
salmintea says...



Hey hiraeth!

I'd like to say that I love that last paradoxical sentence, "and i surrender / to the Freedom." I also find it interesting that in that line "i" is lowercase and "F" in freedom is capitalized. I don't know if this was a simple mistake, but I like how it's kind of portraying the character's feelings, of which she could be interpreted as no longer important in her own eyes in this everlasting sea of gloriful Freedom. I like it.

In reading this poem, I am reminded that a lot of poetry is the inside of a person reflected in words that are hard to actually say aloud, or are reflections of how someone really feels. If this is the case, I hope you are safe.

Honestly, I thought this poem was very well written. I enjoyed it.

- B




trashykawa says...


hi! i'm glad you like the last line, i try very hard to make the endings of my poem meaningful. yeah, i'm okay, kinda, just feeling the pressure. i'll be fine :) oh, and yes, the i and f was on purpose :)



User avatar
19 Reviews


Points: 152
Reviews: 19

Donate
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:36 am
View Likes
salmintea wrote a review...



Hey hiraeth!

I'd like to say that I love that last paradoxical sentence, "and i surrender / to the Freedom." I also find it interesting that in that line "i" is lowercase and "F" in freedom is capitalized. I don't know if this was a simple mistake, but I like how it's kind of portraying the character's feelings, of which she could be interpreted as no longer important in her own eyes in this everlasting sea of gloriful Freedom. I like it.

In reading this poem, I am reminded that a lot of poetry is the inside of a person reflected in words that are hard to actually say aloud, or are reflections of how someone really feels. If this is the case, I hope you are safe.

Honestly, I thought this poem was very well written. I enjoyed it.

- B




User avatar
162 Reviews


Points: 1865
Reviews: 162

Donate
Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:25 pm
FireSpyGirl wrote a review...



Hi there!
Very interesting poem. I like the imagery, the description. Reading every line of your poem, I could feel it. This won't be a great review, because I don't really see anything wrong with this poem at all. I do want to say one thing:
The last paragraph of this poem tops it, bringing things to a close. I'm seeing someone "becoming free" by suicide. This is nothing against your poem at all, but I am worried. If you ever need to talk, PM anytime. I will do my best to help.




trashykawa says...


hi! thanks for your review! and yeah, i'm fine, i'm okay. not going anywhere, too many books left to read. :D



FireSpyGirl says...


Yay!!!




cron
The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.
— Martin Luther King, Jr.