z

Young Writers Society



flowers and colors

by keystrings


do you remember that night, when you
handed me carnations bright like the sun?

i dubbed thee orange, as the sunrise or sunset,
gracing your lips with a tangerine-tinged touch
before the flavor got too sweet and your back

molars stung and you clenched down to flee,
then you said goodbye in light pink shades
of sweetpea and cyclamen on my gray pillow.

i moved on from the red roses you left, piled
up growing in the garden’s darkened corner.
next came butterfly weeds, bright ginger-based 

that sprouted in the brown front yard i let fester.
did you mean to leave a miss you in the form
of even more flowers i still tried to care for?

silly plant-dreamer me, since yellow carnations
declared your love dead long before you ran.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
590 Reviews


Points: 1234
Reviews: 590

Donate
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:30 am
View Likes
Mageheart wrote a review...



Did you miss me? :P

I know very little about flower symbolism, but you did a great job conveying the meaning of the symbolism you were going for with the colors and flowers - thanks to the rest of the stanzas, I could easily understand the story of your poem. So props to you for that!

Imagery is a key part of this poem, and I can happily say that you got it down perfectly. I usually struggle with imagining what I'm reading, but your poem had so much description that I barely had to try. The formatting definitely helped with that. Even when there was sudden breaks in the middle of lines (like between "back" and "molars"), I was still able vividly imagine what you were describing.

This isn't necessarily a piece of constructive criticism, but this poem almost feels like a ramble in some parts. There is punctuation to slow the poem down, but it still feels like parts of it are spoken in a single breath. If that's what you were going for, great! If not, you might want to break apart some of those longer sentences.

Overall, awesome job on this poem! I'm going to head off to another one of yours now and hopefully get it reviewed before I have to head off for school.

Image




User avatar
862 Reviews


Points: 29096
Reviews: 862

Donate
Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:21 am
View Likes
Morrigan wrote a review...



Fraey,

The tone of this poem is lovely. It's unhurried, not really hurt, but floating above the feelings of this other person, taking it in and realizing you knew what would happen all along.

The biggest critique I have of this piece is that you can use your words more effectively. Let's dive in!

handed me carnations bright like the sun?

It's funny because I'm a huge advocate for taking out words when there are too many, but I feel like this line would feel better if you said "as bright as the sun." The way it is now feels clunky. The meter of "as bright as the sun" would be a little more pleasing to read. Of course, this is not really a terrible offender, so feel free to keep it as is.

i dubbed thee orange, as the sunrise or sunset,

You go into some weird renaissance talk right here, and it never resurfaces. While it might seem dramatic and grand, I think you should dial it down a little here. There are ways for this to sound official without sounding too grandiose. I'm a big fan of saying something like "I named you orange." You could say "called," but if you're naming someone, that means you have the power, which I think you were trying to convey here.

i dubbed thee orange, as the sunrise or sunset,
gracing your lips with a tangerine-tinged touch
before the flavor got too sweet and your back

molars stung and you clenched down to flee,
then you said goodbye in light pink shades
of sweetpea and cyclamen on my gray pillow.

This is all one sentence. Whoo! I recommend breaking this up a little bit so we can better follow you on this journey. Even breaking this up with an em dash or two could be helpful! How would it read if we took a moment's pause, and got rid of some transitional phrases?
i dubbed thee orange, as the sunrise or sunset,
graced your lips with a tangerine-tinged touch
before the flavor got too sweet. your back

molars stung— you clenched down to flee,
said goodbye in light pink shades
of sweetpea and cyclamen on my gray pillow.

Personally, I think that reads better. Otherwise it's a bit of a jumble, and it's harder to follow the train of thought.

piled
up growing in the garden’s darkened corner.
This image confused me. Are the roses already plucked, already dead? Or are they growing? I recommend you clarify this image.

that sprouted in the brown front yard i let fester.
This feels awkward. Try something like this:
that sprouted in the festering brown of the front yard


did you mean to leave a miss you in the form

It took me a few reads to understand this line. I think you should clarify that the "miss you" is a message of some kind. One way you could do this is to say something like, "did you mean to say i miss you in the form of" or "did you mean to leave an i miss you in the form"

silly plant-dreamer me, since yellow carnations

Take out "since" here, and add a semi-colon. It feels cleaner and more confident.

Altogether, I liked this quite a bit. Good job, and I'd like to see more like this.

pS: aLsO yOu ShOuLd AlWaYs CaPiTaLiZe LiKe ThIs




User avatar
28 Reviews


Points: 39
Reviews: 28

Donate
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:09 pm
View Likes
averyismediocre wrote a review...



Hi! Your poem was lovely! Your imagery is quite honestly breathtaking. I will say though, you could probably capitalize your words. But anyways, your rhyming couplets are beautiful and in general, this poem tells a beautiful tale. Also, I like the term "silly plat dreamer". I found it to be silly but an adorable silly. This was a really nice poem!




User avatar
1464 Reviews


Points: 83957
Reviews: 1464

Donate
Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:29 pm
View Likes
JabberHut wrote a review...



Oooh yay, I loved this one!

I adored your use of colors in this one. The imagery it produces is just so powerful to me. Better yet, you use food names too that effectively do the same thing, and it just makes me so happy.

Throughout all of this, you maintain this theme, this story, hidden behind these beautiful details that's just very enticing.

My favorite part of this is the stanza 2 and 3. The line break here is also cleverly done. This part just made me smile. I think you did this incredibly well. A lot of things are happening in this part of the poem, it's incredibly powerful imagery while also a powerful twist to keep the theme interesting. It all flows extremely well together.

I think the next couple stanzas were also well-done, I like what they're doing and how the theme continues to flow. I didn't really like the "next came" like it was some sort of slideshow, but I don't have any suggestions on hand either. Similarly, "even more" and "still tried to care for" felt weak too. Maybe they just use what feel like filler words to me, which would be personal opinion.

But I do love the idea of more surprising flowers appearing in the garden, like woah okay why are you still here.

The ending couplet is incredible. Love this end. Mwah!

You had some incredible improvements here, and I just really adore this piece. You did an fantastic job here. Well done! :D

Keep writing!

Jabber, the One and Only!




keystrings says...


Thank you very much for the helpful review! ^^




Today is your day. You’re off to Great Places, you’re off and away!
— Dr. Seuss