z

Young Writers Society


12+

Bloody Screams of Murder in the Night

by Rook


It was dark and stormy the evening I died. But the day that started the whole escapade was grossly sunny. I had pulled the blinds shut as I brooded in my office, smoking my pipe. My favorite tobacco company had recently gone bankrupt, and my lip pulled into a grimace as I tried to become accustomed to this new stuff. My feet were up on the desk-- littered with burnt matches, playing cards, and of course, my colt anaconda, all eight inches of her barrel gleaming like an adulteress's eye, her ivory grips like the creamiest of hand lotions-- when I heard the knock. 

"Enter," I growled around my pipe, which had mysteriously gone out.

In stepped a dame, her blonde hair wet with rain despite the sun I was so desperately trying to block. She refused to meet my eyes, but when I lit a match to relight my pipe, she glanced up, revealing, in that split second of firelight, blazing green eyes like a jade stone found in the forests of china. She was wearing a glossy red evening dress the color of passion, which fit her exquisite form, although the hem was torn as if she had been running through brambles to escape something. Perched on her head was a miniature Chapeau, with a netted half-veil obscuring the left side of her face, and a peacock feather that bounced in the draft. I dared not tell her that this attire was from last century. Her lips were painted a cherry blossom pink, and her cheeks matched in hue, as she was breathing ever-so-slightly belaboredly, her bosom rising and falling with exactness on every breath. Perspiration shone on her forehead, like dew on the grass.

"Can I help you?" I asked gruffly, removing the pipe from my mouth and letting out a cloud of smoke.

"Are you Inspector Hugh Dunnit?" the dame asked in a tremulous soprano, still staring at her shoes.

I shifted, removing my well-worn black leather loafers from the desk, and taking a swig from my flask that contained more fire than whiskey. "Call me Detective Dunnit. Who, may I ask, wants to know?"

"Loretta Loveday," she murmered, stuttering over the L's. She coughed a bit.

"And what's a dame like you doing in a place like this?" I asked, leaning forward in my cashmere chair to glimpse the shoes she was so fond of looking at. They were nothing special: cherry stilettos with a floppy black bow, soaked also by the nonexistent rain.

She abruptly looked up, her piercing eyes wet with tears. "My husband..." she broke off into a stream of sobbing, mascara running for a split second before she conjured a handkerchief, seemingly out of nowhere, to wipe away the tears. 

"On with it woman, I haven't got all day." I fixed my attention to a speck of dirt under my index nail.

"He was MURDERED!!!1!!one!!!!111!" 

My blood ran cold. There hadn't been a murder in Concrete Heights since I was but a lad. "Tell me the details," I said, removing a notepad from my coat, and a pencil from behind my ear.

"Last night," she began, "we were at a cocktail party. At Flex McCreedy's."

"Ah yes, the 'biggest party of the decade.' I'd heard of that party." I didn't tell her that I had also received an invitation, but had turned it down, suspecting foul play might be afoot. I always trust my sixth sense. I trust it more than my other five put together. "Go on," said I.

"Well, Gregor-- that's my husband-- and I had a fight on the way to the party, so when we got there, we went our own ways. I didn't see him the whole night.. until..." her voice cut out and her eyes focused on something like impending doom.

"Until what?" I prompted.

"Until dinner time. They brought out all the dishes, covered in silver domes. And there was Gregor! Lying where the roasted pig was supposed to, an apple stuffed in his mouth, a knife in his back!" She fainted with the memory. Luckily I had had very cushy carpets installed for this exact purpose. I wasn't too worried about her head.

I turned the situation over in my mind, like a half-baked pancake. I had no evidence thus far except for this woman's word. I'd have to see the crime scene for myself. As I stepped over the woman's prostrate body, she moaned and turned her head to face me, her eyes fluttering open. 

"I think it was... the butler," she rasped, then let her head fall again to the floor. This behavior worried me, and I reached down to check her pulse.

Just as I thought.

Dead.

Obviously there had been some sort of neruotoxin working through her system. I had been oblivious to the signs. She had been confused, sweating, coughing,  her eyes were watering, and her nose running. What I had thought was a state of panic was really a dose of Sarin working through her system. I was surprised she had made it this far. Perhaps it was a small dose. Whatever the case, the murderer had to be caught-- and soon.

I stepped out into the hall, pulling my fedora further over my eyes, and cinching my trench coat tighter. It was rare that I left the smoke-imbued room I so often called home, but today was a special day. 

I had finally succeeded in killing my ex-girlfriend and her self-righteous husband.

And I had done it in style.

When I was sure that the hallway was absolutely deserted, I dragged Lorette's body into the custodial closet along with the real Hugh Dunnit.

I wiped my hands on my trench coat, hung it on a hook outside Dunnit's door, and skipped out of the corner office building, a grin on my face.

I lived for 60 more happy years and was never found out. 

The day I died was dark and stormy, but I was satisfied.

The end. :)


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
28 Reviews


Points: 484
Reviews: 28

Donate
Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:22 pm
PebbleToad wrote a review...



Whoooooaaaaaaa. PLOT TWIST! I was not expecting that at all. This was elegantly written and funny, especially that exclamation mark gag in the beginning when Loretta is screaming about her husband. You have a talent for mood and tone, and it perfectly captures the old-timey noir feel. The best part was the end, in my opinion. I don't think anyone could have seen that coming, not even a psychic wombat with a sweatband on. The only thing that could make this better is to clear up the 'rain' thing in the this paragraph. I had to read that a couple of times to really know what the Dunnit impostor was describing. This piece is wonderful, and I had a lot of fun reading it. Once again, epic job with the plot twist.

Keep writing awesomeness like this! B)




User avatar
155 Reviews


Points: 398
Reviews: 155

Donate
Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:05 pm
fallenoutofgrace wrote a review...



* mind blown* loved all your clichés on this piece it made me laugh. I liked the classic body replaces the pig, the best kind of who dunn it murder I think. Your writing style is awesome and keep the read in place, just keep and eye out for those passive voice was's (my teacher drilled that into our skull all day now im passing the drill onto you sorry :3) The ending was the best Bravo. I loved the added detail like the name of the poison and the symptoms to it well done. Overall it was a great read and cant wait to see more from you. Happy holidays

~Fallen




User avatar
558 Reviews


Points: 1219
Reviews: 558

Donate
Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:54 pm
erilea wrote a review...



Amazing story, fortis! I couldn't write it better!

I just have to say, it's a bit much like this one I read the other day. It was about this murderer that had been terrifying woods for years. Then a guy was looking for his keys in the woods and brought his friend along. Turns out, this guy is the murderer, and killed his friend. Seems too much alike.

All I have to say!




User avatar
231 Reviews


Points: 3770
Reviews: 231

Donate
Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:10 pm
dogsrule5 says...



That was awesome!




User avatar
83 Reviews


Points: 1067
Reviews: 83

Donate
Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:05 am
Dutiful says...



Woweeeee that was one awesome read! I did not expect the ending at all!

I loved your style of writing! My dear phage, you have done an excellent job!




User avatar
59 Reviews


Points: 5916
Reviews: 59

Donate
Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:15 am
Lucia wrote a review...



This was awesome!!!! I don't know if this was meant to be comical, but I noticed all detective cliches in here, even just in the first paragraph! (ex. dark, secluded office, chain smoking, explanation about pistol, dame at the door) Yet, though you put all those cliches in, you managed to end it originally, by twisting from detective to crook. Well done!

I do, however, have a couple things to run by you. First off, you never explained why "the dame"'s hair was wet "with rain". Or why, for that matter, the "detective" knew that it was from rain.
Secondly, if "the dame" was the killer's ex, why wouldn't she recognize his face or his voice? Were his trench coat flaps covering his face? Was he deepening his voice? Was the smoke covering his head and disguising his voice?
Also, I'm pretty sure that you meant to do this, but...

"He was MURDERED!!!1!!one!!!!111!"

I don't understand why. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with detectives or such cliches. Perhaps just for comical effect?
The last thing is no trouble at all. Just that you spell "neurotoxin".... well, just like that. Neurotoxin.

Other than that, I'm satisfied! Very good job! I thoroughly enjoyed the piece, and I hope to see more works like it! Keep on writing!
Cheers!




Random avatar

Points: 0
Reviews: 94

Donate

User avatar
86 Reviews


Points: 1287
Reviews: 86

Donate
Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:33 am
WaltzingDreams wrote a review...



Hello Sybil here :)

Gosh, this was a really cute one for a short! Plot twist was really unexpected! I liked how descriptive you were on the first few scenes and the overall progress was commendable :).
I really liked the story and the twist and I'd like to request that you continue this! It was good and didn't lack much but I guess something more descriptive in the near end of it.

That's it! Hope you continue making more of these!

-Sybil (WaltzingDreams)




User avatar


Points: 275
Reviews: 1

Donate
Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:46 pm
ReyaMedrek says...



Dude this was awesome.




User avatar
158 Reviews


Points: 3263
Reviews: 158

Donate
Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:17 pm
thewritingdoc wrote a review...



WOAH! Talk about a plot twist, haha. The best plot twists come when the reader least expects it, and that is what you have achieved here, kudos to you!

I love a good satirical murder mystery, and this one was awesome - just a few nitpicky things to point out.

"It was dark and stormy the evening I died." --> I would add a "that" between evening and I, because it makes the sentence flow better. However, good opening sentence - even if it is a bit cliche.

Wonderful imagery throughout the first few paragraphs - really gives an eerily feel to the entire setting and situation.

Personally, I feel like the way in which Loretta exclaims that her husband was murdered is ingenuine. I don't know - it all feels a little too fake to me - she doesn't really seem phased by her husband's death. She tells it just as though it was some gossip she overheard at the mall the other day. Maybe work on incorporating more emotion into this dialogue.

"Obviously there had been some sort of neruotoxin working through her system. I had been oblivious to the signs." --> I wouldn't use the word obviously here. Most readers wouldn't have known about the symptoms of neurotoxicity, so it makes them feel a little stupid (just my opinion, as a reader who does know about those symptoms).

Anyways, overall, I loved it. Great work! If you have anything else you would like me to review (especially along the lines of a murder mystery), please send it my way!

- The Doc





Well, the only way to start is by starting
— AvantCoffee