z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

2:30 am

by Rook


You, with your dog alongside,
him all padded feet and floofy fur
and the laze in your bodies, in the air,
on an overstuffed couch.

And me, my hand in the popcorn bowl,
mostly only hard kernels left at the bottom.
The TV on, but full of soap operas, so the noise off.

Your voice full of tears,
your dog with eyes like deep, wet pools,
and me, butter residue on my hands.
And there on the shelf
and over there, on the wall,
the clocks, silent.

The room full of the feeling of
2:30 in the morning and my scoffs,
your deeply-welling sighs,
your dog’s fretful blinks and careful wags,
my slow anger at things beyond my control.

The frozen night, full of drifty clouds
and low hoots from owls.
But inside your house, chewing noises
from mice in the crawlspace,
your dog asleep at last,
your tired tear-streaked face,
my standing figure.

--

A/N: This poem was for an exercise where I couldn't use any verbs.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
841 Reviews


Points: 664
Reviews: 841

Donate
Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:49 pm
View Likes
Radrook wrote a review...



Radrook here for a review.

I enjoyed reading this very mediative and somber poem about two persons and a dog late at night sitting in front of a TV set. One is described as being in distress while the other scoffs. The dog seems to be affected emotionally by the distress of its master. The other person’s indifference is emphasized by a casual eating of popcorn. The program’s volume is shut off and I get the impression that the scoffer has done it. Why the other person weeps isn't revealed.


Each description had me wondering about its symbolic meaning. Why are they up so late at night? Why is she or he weeping? What is their relationship? Are they male and female? Are they both females? Are they both male? Why is he standing while the the dog sleeps? He refers to the place as the other person's house. Is he an unwanted guest? Is that why he or she weeps?

I also like the way that it kept me in expectation of some imminent danger or some horrible revelation. Especially when cold weather, drifting clouds and owls are introduced and a tear-streaked face is mentioned. I also like the way that the poem is structured with comments about the dog and the two persons.

Suggestions

Saying it was just an exercise tends to reduce reader appreciation.


....drifting clouds.... is more in harmony with the poem’s serious mood.

Using the dog’s breed would provide a more specific image.
http://www.notinthedoghouse.com/10-popu ... urry-dogs/
https://www.petcarerx.com/article/fluff ... reeds/1153


You sitting with your German Shepherd along side you....

Would reduce the my tendency to see them sauntering along on some walk.

I was confused by the word “laze” described as being in, or within their bodies.
Perhaps the “laze” of your bodies would be better.
Or better yet, ....the laziness of your bodies....

The words“floofy” and “drifty” seem out of place for such a dramatic mood.

All in all a very interesting read. Looking forward to reading more of your work.




User avatar
8 Reviews


Points: 130
Reviews: 8

Donate
Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:21 pm
SavannahSamford wrote a review...



Hey there!

This is really well crafted and I love the way you portrayed the entire scene, it was really well done! It's a great bit of appreciation for little things and definitely shows the small and big workings of the world, including emotion.

You should make some more of these! For whatever reason, the poem resonates quite like a modern romanticist piece, and you should totally expand on the idea.

Great job!

-Savannah




User avatar
277 Reviews


Points: 1335
Reviews: 277

Donate
Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:42 pm
Charm says...



this is soooooo good fortis!!!!!!





A Prince of Darkness Is a Gentleman
— William Shakespeare