Home » Literary works » Poetry » Narrative

12+

d.f.

by dwyn

Radrook wrote a review...

Thanks for sharing this poem about a bitter sweet relationship. The speaker describes himself as a victim.As one who either inhales or coughs up shards of glass when near or far from the other. The poem doesn't tell us about the healing. The speaker asks whether the other is aware of how much pain is being inflicted. In other words if it is done maliciously or by accident.

The imagery that impressed me is the inhalation and coughing up of glass shards. That is a painful image indeed, and it made me visualize blood being expelled during that hacking cough. Yet, despite the pain, the speaker chooses to stay within range.

No one is forcing the person to be in the vicinity of the one who causes him to inhale the glass shards to begin with, and he knows that when she leaves, the coughing will start again.

Instead of thinking about how to terminate the relationship, the speaker tells us that he is trying to decide which hurts more, inhaling the glass shards or coughing them up.

Excuse me but. LOL!

Suggestions

Even though you don't use regular punctuation the spaces made the read go smoothly.

There seems to be a change of mood between the two sections of the poem.The intro has the person accepting everything calmly by saying it is OK.

The second section seems to be complaining about the pain.
I would say that the poem would be more balance in mood if a description of how the other is also a healer is included. That would go nicely with the intro which focuses on everything being OK after all.

Carina says...

<3

dwyn says...

<3

Lives4Christ24 wrote a review...

Salutations @dwyn, I love your gif( as if you don't know that it's super cool).
I love your poem, I can see your feelings in the poem. It's almost like you're talking to me face to face. I think that the font really adds to the effect this poem has on people. It's a very heartfelt poem and people can really see that. The feelings in this poem aren't something you made up of imagined, they're real.
I'm not sure if you meant to have the questions with their own lines in verse three, but it would help if flow better.
I can't wait to read your future poetry and will read your older works.

dwyn says...

Thanks

No problem

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon."
— Paul Brandt