z

Young Writers Society


12+

Prism

by BeTheChange


I see life through a prism.
My first pair
Of glasses
Had a red frame.
(They were always breaking, but I don't remember why.
Am I blocking something out? Forgetting the pain?)
The protagonist in my first favorite series
Was an orange cat.
(Those books got me through
The heartbreak and isolation)
I offered a yellow balloon
To the adults of the house,
Attempting to stop the fight.
(I didn't know, then,
That not everything was so easily fixed)
It's been said that envy is green.
Well, then,
I am verdant.
(I still struggle
Not to feel inferior)
Blue is
The color of the house I grew up in
(Where I longed for love,
Only to learn about hate)
Indigo and violet--shades of purple,
They were my favorite colors.
(Back before innocence was lost)


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 392
Reviews: 2

Donate
Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:25 pm
View Likes
Ego15 wrote a review...



Hello! BeTheChange. This is my first review here. I really hope this helps but let me tell you these are just my personal opinions and nothing else.

Things I loved:
1. I really loved the colors theme. Being an artist, I define things with colors too. Artistic people will find this very attractive.

2. 'I offered a yellow balloon
To the adults of the house,
Attempting to stop the fight.
(I didn't know, then,
That not everything was so easily fixed)'
This part is amazing.

3. this part too:
It's been said that envy is green.
Well, then,
I am verdant.
(I still struggle
Not to feel inferior)

Things I think is a bit ... :
1. My first pair
Of glasses
should have gone into one line.

2. (They were always breaking, but I don't remember why.
Am I blocking something out? Forgetting the pain?)
The protagonist in my first favorite series
these lines could be a bit more short. Also you can try rewriting them with more Rhythm.

3. Indigo and violet--shades of purple,
They were my favorite colors.
(Back before innocence was lost)
To give it more feeling...I don't think the shades you chose are perfect. Maybe lighter and more joyful colors or as in a review written below, about bruises...you can apply that. I mean actually the bruises idea is better.

Ovarall: I loved your poem...simple yet with great feelings and deep thoughts. Keep writing. :)

~Ego




User avatar
80 Reviews


Points: 4
Reviews: 80

Donate
Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:22 am
View Likes
VegasLights wrote a review...



Hello, bookishminecrafter! Miranda here to give you a review! I loved the color theme, and how it represented certain items. I have a couple of concerns about your story. For example,
the 2n,3rd, and 4th line of the poem. I feel as if it shouldn't be broken up like that.
"My first pair
Of glasses"
Had a red frame.
I think it should look like this:
"My first pair of glasses
Had a red frame."
When you used parenthesis in the 5th through the 6th line, I feel like it could have been shortened. I say this because the balance of the poem felt broken at that moment in time. When you used the color reference I loved it! How a color represents a certain item, but in my mind it represented a feeling. How certain colors are dark and some are light, the dark colors may represent how they felt; but, a light color could be how everyone saw that person.

I often felt like this in my own home, so I love how I can have this poem to show everything. So thank you for putting this into words, words that I couldn't right. It was written so that even a person who has not gone through this can understand, and I love that. Because, some people don't understand how it feels, but the colors made everything easy to comprehend. I don't know if you went through this or a person you cared for did, but this is now my favorite poem because now people can understand. Thank you for your time and I hope you have a great day. Please keep writing and if you write anything new, please tag me;for you have a great future in writing.

Keep Writing,
Miranda




User avatar
498 Reviews


Points: 5966
Reviews: 498

Donate
Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:08 am
View Likes
Que wrote a review...



Hello there!

Wow. This is such a great poem! I loved how you used the colors here. I honestly don't have all that much to critique because it's fabulous, but I'll just offer some suggestions and thoughts you can take or leave.

Had a red frame.

Had red frames? I think frames should be plural, or at least that how I always refer to the frames of my glasses.

(They were always breaking, but I don't remember why.
Am I blocking something out? Forgetting the pain?)

These are really good lines, and seem to be very important, but their length kind of throws me off. I know you always have two lines in parenthesis, but maybe you can ditch that pattern to break this up a bit more? Or, you could rephrase and cut it back a little. "They were always broken, I don't know / why- am I blocking out pain?" Something like that is a bit shorter, at least.

And I must admit, in between all the heavy stuff, having an orange cat and the word protagonist kind of just pops out of nowhere. I like how the books get the narrator through rough times, I totally appreciate that, but maybe an orange cover? Eating oranges every time the narrator reads? Maybe something else orange would be more fitting.

Indigo and violet--shades of purple,
They were my favorite colors.
(Back before innocence was lost)

So, I instantly thought of bruises here. But if that's what you meant, it might be nice if you put in another line, like, "But now I only see bruises in them". Subtlety is good, but sometimes you can allude to something a little more clearly. If you didn't mean that at all, then sorry!

Anyway, great stuff. I love the color comparison. It's so pretty, you did an excellent job. :)

-Falco




User avatar
55 Reviews


Points: 158
Reviews: 55

Donate
Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:00 pm
View Likes
all wrote a review...



Hey, here for a review!

Ooo wow, I really didn't get the color theme until the green mention but it is every creative!

I'm going to start with the end of your poem. I didn't really like the last line, it is kind of cliche and if changed could lead to a stronger, better finish to your already great poem. The innocence part of your line could work really well if you didn't have such an overused lost of innocence sentence. Maybe trying to spruce it up with more descriptive words,
figurative language, or literary devices, it would really enhance your lines.
I also will say I didn't really applaud the second to last line of the poem because of it's not clear why and how indigo and violet are your favorite colors, and yes, I get that this is a short poem, but being concise is the key to writing fairly short poems.

About your first line, it kind of seemed off on its own island and needed some context. Maybe if you try playing around with formatting and shift it all the way to the other side to differentiate it a bit, that could end up being really cool.

Another thing that I wasn't the biggest fan of was your inconsistency with the number of lines before the parenthesis. It didn't flow well in the first lines of

My first pair
Of glasses
Had a red frame.
it is fairly chunky here. I liked the two lines of non-parenthesis and then the two lines of parenthesis. Another little thing that you had in your red lines, was that you rhymed "frame" with pain", I don't know it was intentional or not, but the rest of your poem doesn't rhyme like that and the inconsistency is something I would watch out for on this poem and next poems.

Now for the color orange, I just find the syntax of this line
The protagonist in my first favorite series
especially the last three words wonky. I would try to mix up word orders to see if you get something that sounds "flow-y" rather than something that is hard to read. And here,
(Those books got me through
The heartbreak and isolation)
you are kind of ambiguous with what kind of heartbreak and isolation. You mentioned abuse and fighting in the color yellow, so, I think maybe connecting ideas more and explaining things could help. Because I envision a little person reading their favorite first series of a book rather than someone old enough to experience partner heartbreak; you could try explaining that it was more family or other things related.

Here in blue,
Blue is
The color of the house I grew up in
you don't have end punctuation like in the other lines. Honestly, this is just me being nit picky.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, that verdant is concerning country like farming green rather than the green of envy you previously described.

Overall, I really liked the concept of the colors and how they could be made through a prism. And I hope to read more of your works, best of luck!





There is nothing more radical or counter-cultural, at the moment, than laying down one’s cynicism in favour of tender vulnerability.
— John Green