Home » Literary works » Short Story » Historical Fiction

Romans: the conquering of England

by black templar

How did Caesar conquer England? You might say. Well it first consisted of Caesar sailing to England with a few ships, landing Sticking a flag in the ground and saying “vendi vidi vici” (I came, I saw, I conquered).Which didn't really help because The Celts just scared them off. So After Caesar died ( he was murdered) The next emperor decided to take an army with him (smart) and try to conquer the Celts buy reasoning with them, and if that didn't work they had a battle. The only other problem was that the physco picts (the Scottish) started to invade as well. So the Romans had to think of an idea that would stop these maniacs coming out of Scotland, and Hadrian's wall was built!! After more years of fighting the Romans eventually won and conquered England.

Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:31 pm
Nate wrote a review...

You mean veni, not vendi. The actual translation for what you wrote would be, "I sold, I saw, I conquered."

As Jack already pointed out, you need to research this more. Just a few things...

Caesar never conquered Britain. He tried to, but failed. It took almost another 100 years for the Romans to return and conquer what is England & Wales today. Hadrian's wall wasn't even built until the 2nd century AD.

Also, Caesar was never Emperor.

If you venture into this area, be very careful.

Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:01 pm
booklover wrote a review...

This isn't historical fiction; It's more like a summary of a chapter in a textbook. Ways to reword thing are in bold.

You might say.

You don't need this sentence.
landing Sticking a flag in the ground

It should be landing and sticking a flag in the ground
Which didn't really help because The Celts just scared them off.

the Celts & you should think about rewording the begining of this sentence.
So After Caesar died ( he was murdered) The next emperor decided to take an army with him (smart) and try to conquer the Celts buy reasoning with them, and if that didn't work they had a battle.

Unfortunately the current Caesar was murdered. The next emperor decided to take an army with him. He wanted to conquer the Celts by reasoning with them. However, since that didn't work they fought a battle with each other.
You need to leave out things like the (smart) because it sounds rude.
The only other problem was that the physco picts (the Scottish) started to invade as well. So the Romans had to think of an idea that would stop these maniacs coming out of Scotland, and Hadrian's wall was built!!

the physco picts
That is a rude term.
There was another problem. The Picts, known today as the Scottish, started to invade as well. The Romans had to think of an idea that would stop that strong army from coming out of Scotland. The answer: Hadrian's wall!
A lot of times you say things that are rude and stereotypical, such as:
the physco picts
&
these maniacs
You have to find a way of expressing your thoughts and views without hurting peoples feelings and pride.

Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:27 am
Firestarter says...

No problemo. If you want some tips on ever writing Historical Fiction, just PM me (although I wouldn't consider myself that good or anything.)

black templar says...

sorry, im mostly a fantasy fiction guy, sorry again.

Firestarter wrote a review...

This isn't actually Historical Fiction, for a start. It's just some fact (and actually not very accurate). The Celts didn't scare them off the first time, it was mostly logistics problems and the first visit was a recon at the most anyway to understand the natives and see the way of the land.

You need some more accuracy, and some actual fiction involved. This is nothing more than a poor summary of years of history which anybody could do.

Treat all disasters as if they were trivialities but never treat a triviality as if it were a disaster.
— Quentin Crisp