Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » General

A Shooting Star's Adieu

by Zenith

The night sky has always been the epitome of our imagination, the intricate patterns of the constellations, the contrast of light against dark is truly an art in itself. All these easily make up for the lack of the multi-color beauty of a rainbow, the best the daylight has to offer. Yet it’s mundane, hardly noticed or appreciated. Nothing short of the extraordinary can grab our attention, and so that's what nature gives us. A dazzling sight that stops us dead in our tracks, stealing our breaths away-a meteor shower. Beautiful, isn't it? Just out of nowhere a bright streak of light would break through the darkness and put a sole claim on not just our vision but every other sense.

And every time a shooting star is mentioned, we take a trip down the memory lane. Relive one of those random moments from our childhood, when we had wished on a shooting star, believing with all our heart that it would come true. To be honest, it is still one of the most believed myths across the world, giving stories like Santa Claus and tooth fairy a tough competition. And we are only human to do so. We hope for miracles and pray to God. A shooting star is just one of those propagators of optimism, probably the brightest literally. But in all of these we leave behind the science of this phenomenon, the actual truth that a shooting star is not even a star. Scientifically speaking, it's just an asteroid which has lost its way and has become the victim of its own speed and the inescapable friction of the earth's atmosphere. Yes, that's what it is sadly. Mere rock and dust particles entering into our atmosphere at very high speed. Consequently rubbing against air particles, as a result of friction the meteors heat up and start burning, thus looking like stars in the process. This explanation has made it look pretty ordinary. But mother nature has hidden an Easter egg even in this supposedly mundane phenomenon. A moral. An enlightenment in disguise. As long as they were asteroids in the outer space, they were only rock pieces. Dust particles revolving around the sun aimlessly, lost in the universe's bigger design. But the moment they decided to step out of their comfort zone, be their own master and choose their own path, they became so much more than asteroids-a shooting star. Maybe they had to burn to nothingness in order to attain that perfection, but the end was worth striving for. The actual stars and the moon in the background paled in beauty and grandeur when compared. An object that was nothing before became the brightest of the night sky mesmerizing us all.

Just think about those small children who had witnessed this phenomenon for the first time ever. Try to imagine their wonder and amazement as they try in vain to follow the trail left behind by the fallen star. They want to catch it, own its light. But then an adult steps into the picture, possibly a guardian with enough common sense. The children are told otherwise. They soon learn how impossible their desire is. Instead, a fairytale is woven into their mind. Those innocent children are told a lie that if you wish on a shooting star, all your dreams would come true. They grow up believing that in order to achieve something you are not supposed to act on your instincts, instead think it thoroughly, so much, that in the end, it becomes nothing but procrastination. And the truth is that hidden amongst all of us is that child. The one who is afraid to take a stand, to make a difference, to follow the shooting star. To be the shooting star. A baseless fear that kills us all before we even taste actual death, the fear of the unknown. In our state of terror, we fail to realize our true potential. Maybe we too hold the power to change the world, but all we end up doing is just wish for it, and as a consequence our life becomes a never ending what-if. The thing that’s most needed is courage to stray from the trodden path, courage to break through every barrier, and courage to set our inner self free, because only then we can truly own the brightness to light up the night sky. It is rightly said that in order to shine like a star we need to burn like it first. And that is the parting message of a shooting star, the perfect adieu.

CorvusQueen wrote a review...

um wow. this is an amazing essay, I would almost call it a short story!

I love your descriptions, they really bring your work to life. the first sentence, "The night sky has always been the epitome of our imagination, the intricate patterns of the constellations, the contrast of light against dark is truly an art in itself." is an amazing hook, catching my attention like the sky it is describing. I love the fact that you mix facts with myth to make your own unique and inspiring moral.

a few technical things I noticed:

"Nothing short of the extraordinary can grab our attention and so that's what nature gives us."
add a comma after "attention"

"Relive one of those random moments from our childhood when we had wished on a shooting star believing with all our heart that it would come true."
add a comma after "childhood" and "star"

"To be honest it is still one of the most believed myths"
add a comma after "honest"

"Mere rock and dust particles enter into our atmosphere at very high speed."
replace "enter" with "entering"

"Consequently on rubbing against air particles as a result of friction the meteors heat up and start burning"
remove "on" add a period after "particles"

"The children are told otherwise. They soon learn how impossible their desire is. Instead a fairytale is woven into their mind."
replace some of those periods with commas for a smoother effect, also add a comma after "instead"

"They grow up believing that in order to achieve something you are not supposed to act on your instincts, instead think it thoroughly, so much, that in the end it becomes nothing but procrastination."
(powerful line BTW) add "through" before "thoroughly" add a comma after "end"

"The thing that’s most needed is courage to stray from the trodden path, courage to break through every barrier and courage to set our inner self free because only then we can truly own the brightness to light up the night sky."
add commas after "barrier" and "free"

This is amazing, and every critique I just gave is from a place of love and wanting to help you improve. I hope you have a nice day!

Zenith says...

Thank you CorvusQueen for your corrections. I'll make the changes as soon as possible. I am glad

Zenith says...

*glad you liked it.

But what about second breakfast?
— Peregrin Took