Seasons' Embrace

by Youbeaucupid

To Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall, who are always there even if I am not.

Through the passing years, your presence cannot be forgot.
Each season unfolds a story of life,
Bitter cold winds and rays of that sun scold.

Winter's frosty cloak, a portrait in white,
The earth slumbers soundly beneath its icy might.
In stillness, a promise lies in wait,
For Spring shall arrive, life to create.

Spring dances in, colors burst from the ground,
Blooms paint meadows, scents all around.
A symphony of birdsong fills the air with delight,
Nature awakens, shaking off blight.

Then Summer blazes with golden sun's rays,
Long days of warmth, adventures ablaze.
Beachside retreats or picnics on the green,
Summer's embrace, vibrant, joyous scene.

Leaves turn, Fall arrives with a gentle breeze,
A kaleidoscope of colors on the trees.
Crisp air, infused with nostalgic sigh,
Nature prepares for slumber, bidding goodbye.

Through change, I find solace in their embrace,
Constants in a world prone to erase.
To Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall,
Grateful for the comfort you cloak within all.

Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:24 am
Avian wrote a review...

I loved this poem! I am a huge fan of personification, so seeing it used well in this poem was cool. Sometimes, I don't love rhyme schemes in poetry because they can take away from the natural flow of the piece, but I thought the rhyme scheme added so much more to this poem! you chose very well-thought-out words, and I know from experience that it can be difficult to find the right wording when sticking to a rhyme scheme. (Thus, why I don't even attempt it) Also, I love the last stanza and the use of antithesis by describing the seasons as changing, but also constant in the sense that they always happen. I am curious, however, why you chose to make the first stanza a different format from the rest of the poem. It doesn't take away from the poem, but it does feel slightly out of place with the rest of the poem. Though, you might have done that for a reason. You are the author, after all! Overall, this poem was very enjoyable to read, created beautiful imagery, and you conveyed your emotions well throughout the piece!

Youbeaucupid says...

Morning Avian! Thank you for the review, I'm glad you enjoyed my lil poem - <3

Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:36 am
MannyPLator wrote a review...

This poem is a beautiful ode to the changing seasons and the constant cycle of life. The vivid imagery used to describe each season creates a rich tapestry of nature in the reader’s mind. The poem begins with a stark portrayal of winter, capturing its icy might and the earth’s slumber beneath it. The promise of spring’s arrival brings a sense of anticipation and hope. The arrival of spring is depicted as a dance, with colors bursting from the ground and a symphony of birdsong filling the air. This vibrant awakening of nature after winter’s blight is truly delightful. Summer is portrayed as a time of warmth and adventure, with its golden rays and vibrant scenes. The mention of beachside retreats and picnics on the green evokes a sense of joy and relaxation. Fall’s arrival is marked by a gentle breeze and a kaleidoscope of colors on the trees. The crisp air infused with a nostalgic sigh beautifully captures the transition towards the end of the year. The poem concludes with a note of gratitude for the comfort provided by the changing seasons, which are constants in a world prone to erase. This sentiment resonates deeply, reminding us of the solace we can find in nature’s cycles. Overall, the poem is a captivating journey through the seasons, filled with rich imagery and deep emotion. It beautifully captures the essence of each season while highlighting the comfort and solace they provide

Youbeaucupid says...

Thank you for all the kind words, I'm glad you enjoyed it!! - <3

Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:46 am
LunarAirPollution wrote a review...

Hi! I really enjoyed reading your poem. It had a lovely lyrical flow to it and your use of imagery is fantastic. Seems like you put a lot of thought into word choice and it shows. I like how you called on so many of the senses, describing what the narrator is sees and feels (and maybe this is just me but "crisp air" immediately made me think of the wonderful smells of autumn).
I also really like how you personified each season (such as spring dancing in). I would love to see more description of each season characterized by human like traits. This is such a great perspective on nature.
One point of constructive criticism is at the beginning when you say, "rays of that scold." I assume this is a typo and meant to say rays of sun? Easy mistake with an easy fix.
Overall, you did beautifully! Thanks for sharing!

Youbeaucupid says...

Hi Lunar! Thank you for the review, I'm glad you enjoyed it! As for the typo I kept telling myself to change it before I submitted it but I got distracted again T0T so thank you for pointing it out!!

Again thank you for reviewing and have a wonderful night - <3

If you know what the tip of a shoelace is called, Congratulations, you watched Phineas and Ferb!
— FireEyes