E - Everyone Violence

Legends: Gladiator, Part 1, Chapter 4

by yosh

I realize that there has been some confusion regarding this novel. Yes, it is a fanfic, and I apologize if some of it is confusing. Background information can be all found in the Wings of Fire series. Anyways, I hope you enjoy! :D

Scarlet would usually say that she was a very philosophical and taking-it-easy dragon, if she did say so herself, but the day right before the rescue was absolutely frantic, and Scarlet wasn’t in the mood to be “philosophical and taking-it-easy”.

“WHERE did Mockingbird go?” cried Scarlet, almost tackling over Jasper, which wasn’t her intention.

Jasper yelped with surprise and said, “Maybe she, u-um, went hunting?"

"She would NEVER do that! HUNTING? On THIS important day?" screamed Scarlet.

"F-finch should be waiting at the entrance, b-b-but Mockingbird said she needed to be here," Jasper's teeth clattered together in fear.

“She KNOWS how important this is to me!” growled Scarlet, “She NEEDS to be here! WHERE IS SHE?” If Mockingbird wasn’t going to be here, then Scarlet didn’t need for that to be an obstacle! Scarlet would do anything, ANYTHING to find Condor.

“H-h-how would I know?” cried Jasper.

Since Jasper made a very good point, and Scarlet was feeling bad for terrifying him,Scarlet just roared at the wall and said, “We just need to start without her!”

“O-kay,” said Jasper, who looked like he was ready to get out of the same room as Scarlet.

At that exact moment, Mockingbird flew in and said, “Hey! How’s it going? I just went hunting!”

[Center]. . .[/Center]

Scarlet took a deep breath and inhaled the beautiful scent of the trees and flowers. It smelled like the smell of freedom. The smell of home.

Scarlet knew she was a very philosophical and taking-it-easy kind of dragon. Her friends all knew that, too.

“Jasper?” said Scarlet.

Jasper yelped and jumped back. He then suspiciously, tentatively asked, “Um . . . what?”

Scarlet turned around to Jasper. He had his talons in front of him as if he was pushing a boulder.

“What are you doing?” Scarlet tilted her head to the side.

Jasper scratched his snout and returned to a normal position and mumbled,“Um, nuthin.”

“Jasper, don’t you think that I am a very taking-it-easy kind of dragon?” asked Scarlet.

“Um, yeah! You’re very um, taking it easy, yup, very taking-it-easy! So carefree . . . um . . . and, uh, taking-it-easy?” Jasper quickly leaped backward and resumed his “boulder-pushing” position.

Scarlet glared at him and turned around, back towards the trees and flowers. Apparently, she was too "Scary" for Jasper. Inhaling again, she closed her eyes and heard little animals scurrying around throughout the forest.

“Are Mockingbird and Finch ready?” asked Scarlet, her eyes still closed. She needed everyone here for this mission. Mockingbird was arguably the smartest SkyWing in the Sky Palace. She loved to read scrolls and learn from Kingfisher, which was absolutely disgusting to Scarlet. Mockingbird was quiet and occasionally bubbly.

Finch was a seasoned explorer. He had traveled and mapped most of Pyrrhia except for the Ice Kingdom and most of the Kingdom of the Sea. In fact, Finch’s current objective was to find the fabled Summer Palace so that the SkyWings would have leverage over the ocean-dwelling tribe. Finch was pretty grumpy and grouchy. Some dragons believed that he didn’t sleep at all.

Jasper was, well, Scarlet sometimes didn’t know why she ever befriended Jasper. He had a tendency to eavesdrop any conversation and spy on random meetings, but he was loud and obnoxious when Scarlet wasn’t angry. If Scarlet was Angry, he would be tentative and boring. He rarely was smiled upon by high ranking officials or royalty, but for some reason, Scarlet befriended him, and Jasper became one of Scarlet’s most trusted friends.

“Yeah,” replied Mockingbird, “We’re ready.”

“Speak for yourself,” harrumphed Finch, “Yeah, I’m ready.”

“Alright then,” said Scarlet, “Let’s go!”

She pulled out her rope and saw that it pointed towards the west. That meant she was fleeing towards the direction of the SandWings. Scarlet wondered why.

“So,” asked Finch curiously, “That thing actually works?”

“Yeah,” said Scarlet. She had already told the three of them that this was an old animus-touched relic stolen from the SeaWings, but they really didn’t believe it.

Beating her wings harder, she saw some movement down in the trees below her. But the rope wasn’t pointing towards that movement.

Shrugging, Scarlet dove down towards the shape and landed next to whoever it was. Maybe this dragon could have clues.

To her shock, Scarlet saw that this was a NightWing.

The NightWing turned towards her and yelped, jumping back. He was a young handsome NightWing, possibly seven or eight years old. He had jet black scales and a starry backdrop in his wings.

“Who are you?” growled Scarlet.

The NightWing whimpered and said with a surprisingly strong voice, “Who are you?”

“I’m the one asking questions here!” hissed Scarlet. Thankfully, Finch quietly handed her a spear.

“I’m Morrowseer!” said the NightWing, with enormous dignity.

Scarlet tilted her head to a side, “Am I supposed to know that name?”

Morrowseer then started staring at her. It felt weird to Scarlet. She felt like he was staring in her. Wait! Can he read my mind? Scarlet widened her eyes.

“Yes,” replied Morrowseer slyly, “I can read your mind perfectly well.”

"What did you see?" said Scarlet suspiciously. If Morrowseer revealed any sensitive information, Scarlet would kill him right then in front of everyone else. It was a bit surprising how sure of herself that she felt. She was ready to kill instantly.

A flash of fear struck across Morrowseer's face for an instant, and then he said powerfully, slowly, "I saw many things."

Scarlet roared and shot a burst of flame at Morrowseer. He dodged it, but the fire singed his talon and he shot fire back at her. Angrily, he screamed at them, “You will all feel pain! ALL of you!”

He then turned to Scarlet, and flicked his tongue in and out, “And you, you will feel the most pain of all!”

He turned and flew away.

Scarlet was too stunned to speak. This . . . Morrowseer dragon had . . . seen the future?

It can't be.

Scarlet should have been more careful than that.

“He was just trying to scare you,” said Mockingbird. Finch and Jasper mumbled some agreement, but Scarlet could tell that they knew it was a precognition.

Scarlet had to be more careful from now on.

She couldn’t risk putting Condor in danger.

She couldn’t risk herself anymore.

Thanks for Reading!

Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:09 pm
Horisun wrote a review...

Hello! It's me again!
I really enjoyed seeing Morrowseer here! If they had me before, it would be a really interesting dynamic when they met again in book one!

Just out of curiosity, how far along are you in the books? It would be cool to have someone to discuss them with, but I don't want to spoil anything by accident.

Reading all your chapters back to back is really interesting, because I can see how much you improve as I go! I can't point to anything specific, but the way you write is getting better and better!
I have a couple small nitpicks for this chapter. The first one has to do with how sudden cutoff when Mockingjay came back from hunting. If you reread that, it's a tad confusing.
Also, I get the feeling that Scarlet speaking to Morrowseer is what causes her to be much more reserved, however, I feel as if this contradicts the canon story, as in, if Morrowseer had this big effect on Scarlet, she would remember him.
However, I can't be sure on how this will affect Scarlet quite yet, just something to consider.

Anyway, on to the next chapter!

yosh says...

At this time, Scarlet is not even 10, and later she feels large amounts of shock (Although I don't want to spoil it), so she might have forgotten Morrowseer a bit.

And also, Scarlet in the future of this book will partly forget Morrowseer's name, so it should be inferred that she forgets about him fifty years later.

Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:17 am
EM8650 wrote a review...

Hey there,
I like how through this chapter we gain a little more insight into Scarlet's character and it is also good to see more of Jasper.
One thing i did notice is that in the sentence "This . . . Morrowseer dragon had . . . seen the future?" seen should have a capital s.
Other than that i can't really pick up on any grammar mistakes which is really good.
Another thing i really liked in this chapter is the way you introduce Morrowseer. The slight description you give of him is enough to get your readers interested in his character.
Finally i loved the way you finished the chapter, while its not a traditional cliff hanger it does leave a lasting impression and keeps readers invested in the story.
Over all amazing job!
I am looking forward to reading more chapters.
keep up the great work.

No man or woman who tries to pursue an ideal in his or her own way is without enemies.
— Daisy Bates