Goodbye Dinosaurs (A Parody on "Candle in the Wind")

by Wolfi

A/N: This is a random parody I wrote on Elton John’s “Candle in the Wind.” The twist: it’s about dinosaurs.  Don't ask why.

Goodbye, dinosaurs

Though I never saw you at all

You had the strength to fight for life

While meteors ‘round you fell

They stormed down from the heavens

And they whistled past your head

They sent you from this earth

And all that’s left are bones

.

And it seems to me you died that day

Like a candle in the wind

Never knowing how to survive

When the storm arrived

And I would have liked to see you

But now you are extinct

Your candle burned out long before

Mother Nature closed the door

.

Dinosaurs were tough

The toughest creatures in the world

Hollywood created a superstar

In "Jurassic Park" and more

Even though you’ve died

Archeologists dig you up

All the little boys have to say

Is that dinosaurs are pretty cool

.

And it seems to me you died that day

Like a candle in the wind

Never knowing how to survive

When the storm arrived

And I would have liked to see you

But now you are extinct

Your candle burned out long before

Mother Nature closed the door

.

Goodbye dinosaurs

Though I never saw you at all

You had the strength to fight for life

While meteors ‘round you fell

Goodbye dinosaurs

From the young girl in 2014

Who sees you as something more than special

More than just our terrible lizards

.

And it seems to me you died that day

Like a candle in the wind

Never knowing how to survive

When the storm arrived

And I would have liked to see you

But now you are extinct

Your candle burned out long before

Mother Nature closed the door

Nightshade21 says...

I've never heard this song before but your flow and rythm in your parody was great. Your sta as were fun yet also thoughtful and deep whether you meant it or not good job. I really saw nothing bad I loved everything about it and can't wait to read more by you :) great job
-Nightshade21

Wolfi says...

Awww, thank you so much, Nightshade!!! :)

Rosendorn wrote a review...

Hello.

While this is a parody and you have stuck very close to the rhyme scheme, you have some spots that are lacking. Namely bones, cool, and "2014". I add the last in because you can say it "two thousand fourteen" or "twenty fourteen", with the former wrecking flow and the latter fitting with it.

There's also some others like all/fell, which have different vowel sounds and therefore aren't quite as perfect as they could've been.

The thing about parodying songs is you still need to keep the original flow and rhymes even when you change the topic around, which you've come close to but not quite achieved.

Past that, it was fairly clever to take dinosaurs as the topic because it makes for such a literal translation of the whole idea of "candle in the wind". Although I think this could be even funnier if you took the candle in the wind and found a way to repurpose that, so it reflected the total cataclysm that was the mass extinction of dinosaurs. Parodies don't have to be exact replicas of the story itself, so you do have the room to mess with even the original title so long as you keep the same general flow.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

~Rosey

Wolfi says...

Thank you for your help, Rosey! I'll need to work on this parody a little more. I really tried to make up something besides "Candle in the Wind" to make it more pertained to dinosaurs, but nothing worked the same way. Any suggestions? :D Thank you for your help!

megsug wrote a review...

Hey wolf~
I'm going for my elite eight challenges. The lyrics part is hard ;n; I'm going to give you the best review I can. I'm not a big Elton John fan, so I had to go research and listen to this song because I'd never heard it before XD

For my creative writing class, I had to write parodies and hated them with every fiber of my body, so many points for actually writing a decent parody. *gold clap*

Okay, on to the very few negatives I have:

Your candle burned out long before

Mother Nature closed the door

I have an issue with this because it took my a while to understand it. At first I thought that they were of the same sentence which makes no sense then I realized that they were two different sentences. After reading the lyrics (yes, some hardcore research went into this. I read the lyrics and watched this video where he's wearing a wig George Washington would have been proud of), I realize that "Your candle burned out long before" is a direct quote from the song which I approve of. I think that's a sign of a good parody. However, I'm not jazzed about "Mother Nature closed the door" because it doesn't logically follow the line before it. However the original line about the legend is much truer because we still talk about dinos today, so I think that it would be easier/more sensical if you used "Your legend ever did" as the direct quote and substituted something else in place of "Your candle burned out long before."
I'm terrible at this kind of thing :/ So I'm not coming up with any good examples, but I think the word incinerated should go in there XD

Other than that small perhaps nonsensical critique, I'm not sure what more to tell you. I thought it was good and enjoyable otherwise :3

I hope this helped >.> <.<
Megs~

Wolfi says...

Thank you so much! I appreciate it that you went through so much trouble to get to know this song! :D Maybe keeping the "legend" part would make more sense. I had actually planned on dong that, but I was afraid of using too much of the original song. I think that I'll change that now! :) Thank you!

megsug says...

I'm sorry for the double post XP

erilea wrote a review...

Okay, I have to admit, this is awesome. Except you didn't really rhyme. I always think songs should rhyme to sound good. It should. And in the third paragraph, I think it was a bit like a little kid, especially the little boy part. I kind of lost interest there.

This was great, I loved it, funny, awesome. Keep writing!

Wolfi says...

Thank you so much! :D

erilea says...

Your welcs!

Cithara wrote a review...

Hey Wolfie!
Can I just say, this parody was very well done! You still had the same idea, but with a different topic (if that makes sense...you stuck to the song very well)
So I'll go through nitpicks, praise, and then what can be worked on.
Let's get started, shall we?

And they whistled past your head

Do meteors whistle? Only curious...maybe "roar" would be more appropriate here, though that may be cliche when describing the sound of a meteor. It's up to you to change it. :)

And all that’s left is bones

Wouldn't it be "are bones? Since "bones" is plural.

And I would have liked to seen you

"have" before "seen" the proper rules of grammar, I know XD ;)

Dinosaurs were tough

The toughest creatures in the world

Redundancy here, but I know this is apart of the song, so don't look at this. But maybe you could use a different word besides "tough" from the song? I mean, a parody doesn't use all the same words, but don't listen to me. I can't write parodies to save my life

More than just our terrible lizards

Hmm, terrible lizards? Perhaps a more descriptive word here :) The line kind of read awkward to me

praise
I loved this parody! (and not JUST because I like Elton John and that song XD)
I think you did a wonderful job sticking to the song, and I just really liked the topic too.
You like dinosaurs? Cool :D
Plus, it kind of felt like an ode to dinosaurs XD
Keep up the good work and just work on what I mentioned.
You can't drastically change this, as it's a parody, but you don't need to anyway. It's good ;)

Wolfi says...

Thanks, buddy! I'm not like a huge fan of dinosaurs or anything, I just randomly thought of this idea and decided to write it for fun. Thank you for your recommendations; I'll work on this a little more.
By the way, "dinosaur" means "terrible lizard," so that's why I wrote that. It doesn't read very well, though...

Thewriter13 says...

Ahh, okay :D I didn't know that. Anyway, good job!

BluesClues says...

If I can add to this, that one line could go "I would have liked to see" if you want to keep your syllable count the same for purposes of rhythm by not adding another "have." Just turn "seen" into "see."

Thewriter13 says...

*narrows eyes*
Thanks, Blue! :D that's a much better suggestion XD

Wolfi says...

Thank you, Blue! :D

a little humanity makes all the difference
— Rosendorn