z

Young Writers Society



the language of memory

by Apricity


Entering the freeway in my Aunt’s car haphazardly peeling steamed sweet potatoes felt like some form of cultural warp in space. As I cruised along the freeway, my legs numb from a long plane ride and eyes gritty from not enough sleep. My eyes took in the familiar white and green tiles of the high-rise buildings stained with serpentine streaks of grime and dirt. It’s not eight o’clock yet and the city is quiet, relatively.

Returning, feels like some licensed holiday from a life of pretense. A struggle to assimilate an identity that was almost there but wasn’t, it is the struggle my parents don’t go a day without speaking. How because of our skin colour, the particular symmetry of our facial features we’ll always be subjected to a set of preconceived notions before we even open our mouths. But that, comes with the package deal of being human, like the liberal chicken salt on your chips you wished they sprinkled less of.

Yeah, being human sucks.

But I’d be lying if I said the difference in the melanin pigment in our skin didn’t contribute to the sense of oddity. It is less a matter of difference and more a struggle for familiarity. An intimacy that is the mother tongue of your bones because you were breed on that soil. And I grew up smelling a language of charred smoke from the stalls selling beef entrails, drenched in star anise, peppercorn, citrus peels and other species. Sentences constructed from the motorcycles that zipped between the cars, because in a small town it was easier to slip through the gaps then to navigate the roads. We can set the tone of the town, how during the day, groups of unemployed men sat on the stone benches in the park. Barefoot, cigarettes dangling from their mouths as they slapped down cards after cards, their skin weathered by work and sun turned to a shade of faded leathery brown. Or how middle age aunties and grandmas hoisted their grandkids on their hips, humming age old nursery rhymes strolling under the tree shades. But the world is not a story, a narration where changes can be mapped and charted if we took the time to break down the structure and plot where the fractures originated from.

It is a language that is felt by the absence of what was thrust against the observation of what is. A memory tetris as I stepped into my grandparent’s house again. At first glance, it resembles the lifting of a sheet of tracing paper revealing the piss poor imitation of the original image. Between a crystallised memory of the house, encased in the sedimentation of time and the unyielding force of what is present, reality shudders and sheds off the tracing paper held together by the vision of a past I couldn’t let go of. The worn rose coloured tiled floors, the overhead half - opaqued ceiling shrank before me, I had grown since the last time I returned.

Everything, was smaller than I remembered.

The wooden shelves, where bottles of medicine pills now took up a whole row. Yet the calendar, depicting an almost dizzy array of horoscopes, festivals and Chinese birth times, a consistency throughout my childhood remained on the left side of the wall. But most of all, the foreignness in my throat as I struggled to come up with anything else that wasn’t ‘grandma’ and ‘grandpa’. A foreignness in my throat as I sat on the red stool I had sat on every weekend in my childhood and clumsily clumped the preserved vegetables my grandma had set out for me against the mantou. A foreginess that grew and threatened to overwhelm me, as I felt their eyes on me as I ate the porridge and mantou. An act that I knew meant concern, worry. It was quiet, and sunlight, in pale yet vast pails spilled down from the ceiling and diffused into the room. My grandma amidst the gentle mocking of my failing chopstick skills, tell me of the room she had cleaned out on the third floor, of how I should take a shower and lie down for a bit, I could come down for lunch whenever I woke.

I had forgotten this. In the busied life of attempting to catch up with a rhythm I couldn’t quite understand, a dance where I only know the silhouettes of the steps. I had forgotten that halfway across the world, there was still a home for me. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
561 Reviews


Points: 31500
Reviews: 561

Donate
Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:46 pm
Atticus wrote a review...



Hi there! MJ stopping by for a short review.

First, I'd like to commend you on how you were able to expertly describe the scenes. You mastered the usage of just a short phrase or so to paint the reader a picture of what was going on. I could vividly see the drawings on the calendar, the bottles of pills lining the shelves, feel the culture through the subtle hints of dark skin and chopsticks and horoscopes and ethnic festivals. However, I think there are a few ways this could be most effective.

I don't normally do this, but I think in a few areas your grammar was a bit of a boundary and kept me from fully understanding the poem. I'll revise the first paragraph the way I would write it. I've put my revisions in the spoiler box so they didn't get too long. Red means that it's a grammatically incorrect phrase and must be changed to be correct, blue means these are my personal comments, strikethrough means it should be removed, and bold are smaller nit-picky details.

Spoiler! :
Entering the freeway in my Aaunt’s carwhile haphazardly peeling steamed sweet potatoes felt like some form of cultural warp in space."Cultural warp in space" isn't really a familiar feeling for many people, so I would use a more familiar phrase to convey the cultural shock the MC is feeling As I cruised along the freeway, my legs numb from a long plane ride and eyes gritty from not enoughlack of sleep. M,my eyes took in the familiar white and green tiles of the high-rise buildings stained with serpentine streaks of grime and dirt. It’s not eight o’clock yet and the city is relatively quiet, relatively.


I made a few grammatical corrections, and there's not a whole lot to tear apart here, but there are still a few grammatical rules that need to be followed and could really go a long way in taking this from the early stages of a draft into a full-fledged first draft.

Good work on this, and if you have any other questions regarding this or anything else, please feel free to let me know. I'll be around to answer any questions you might have, and I'd be glad to help you improve this work and any others!

Best wishes,
MJ




User avatar
62 Reviews


Points: 20
Reviews: 62

Donate
Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:35 pm
CorruptedArrow wrote a review...



Hey Corrupted Arrow here with a review!
(I'm jut pointing out a few things that I find that are in a wrong order or grammar mistakes. I've become the comma police, you have been warned! I will also try to add humor here.)

"But that, comes with the package deal of being human, like the liberal chicken salt on your chips you wished they sprinkled less of." there shouldn't be a comma after that.

"And I grew up smelling a language of charred smoke from the stalls selling beef entrails, drenched in star anise, peppercorn, citrus peels and other species." I was going to say there are a lot of commas and that they are out of place but you made it so that it's explaining a certain thing in the story.

"We can set the tone of the town, how during the day, groups of unemployed men sat on the stone benches in the park. Barefoot, cigarettes dangling from their mouths as they slapped down cards after cards, their skin weathered by work and sun turned to a shade of faded leathery brown." I understand that you are using the commas as a way to en-long your sentences, but you don't need them in every sentence.

"Between a crystallized memory of the house, encased in the sedimentation of time and the unyielding force of what is present, reality shudders and sheds off the tracing paper held together by the vision of a past I couldn’t let go of." You are either becoming a butterfly or a moth in the first comma and a half. There is no need for a comma after house, and present.

"Yet the calendar, depicting an almost dizzy array of horoscopes, festivals and Chinese birth times, a consistency throughout my childhood remained on the left side of the wall." Well you aren't the only one who looks up their horoscopes and Chinese Birth Times. The comma after times shouldn't be there.

"It was quiet, and sunlight, in pale yet vast pails spilled down from the ceiling and diffused into the room." The comma after quiet shouldn't be there. To me it doesn't make suspense, it just makes it confusing.

"My grandma amidst the gentle mocking of my failing chopstick skills, tell me of the room she had cleaned out on the third floor, of how I should take a shower and lie down for a bit, I could come down for lunch whenever I woke" There are so many commas! "Of my failing chopstick skills, she tells me of the room she cleaned out on the third floor and how I should have a shower and lie down for a bit."

This is the end of my rant. i have found a few mistakes here and there but keep it up. Have a good day!





Turn your demons into art, your shadow into a friend, your fear into fuel, your failures into teachers, your weaknesses into reasons to keep fighting. Don’t waste your pain. Recycle your heart.
— Andréa Balt