Gemini // Ex Libris - pt.1

by Apricity

A.N: I haven’t written short story for a while now, so I’d love some reviews on this. I’m really interested in how realistic the story's setting (the intention is one that is relatively alienated from Earth.) As well as your interpretation of the relationship between the brothers. Thank you and happy reading! C:

***

They were brothers by exile, tied by kinship. Under the flickering light of the kerosene lamp in his shop, Castor wondered at the strange games fate played against the two of them. Mother had always said that things happened for a reason, yet he could think of none that induced the exile cast upon them by the Astrum. But it could not be denied that, the loss of one thing had came at the gain of another.

Presently, he lowered the lamp, watching the flames play over the arrangement of the rings in the drawer. He took a deep breath and extended his fingers above the rings.

One.

Two.

Three!

Brief flashes of blue filled the dim cave as sparks flew from the rings in varying sizes and brightness before fading out, leaving the faint smell of smoke in the air. He breathed out a sigh of relief, it was still there. Erratic as it had became lately it was still there, they would not die yet. As he poised his hand over the rings again, Castor paused briefly before calling out, “I can sense you Pollux.” and closed the drawer.

The curtain concealing the moisture trap rippled lightly before Pollux stepped inside the cave, taking care to reseal the moisture trap to diminish the possibility of having an overcharge of electricity. His dark hair swept back into a low ponytail. So he was on one of his melancholic moods. “Don’t you ever feel bad about what you do? They come here seeking answers yet you give them lies.”

“People come here believing in myths, I’m just giving them what they want to hear. You can’t come here expecting real answer.” He scoffed and shut the drawer, suddenly alerted by the distant tinkle of the bell on the cave entrance. They had customers. “Now don’t ruin our living just because you can’t get off your high horse.”

Pollux gave him a long stare, one wounded but was no longer surprised and left. As Castor rang the responding bell beside his desk, he knew he had spoken too harshly to his brother. The apology lodged itself there in his throat, an half uttered thought swallowed back down saved once more for another time.

“Arma.” The couple before him took deep bows before sitting down. They glanced at each other, swallowing lightly before announcing, “we come for the test.”

Castor permitted himself a small smile at the synchronised speech, he ran a finger down the wax sealed rings and looked up. “Tell me of your story and then, the stars shall speak.” Castor held out his left hand, palms up and intertwined the girl’s fingers with his own. They were fine, slender fingers that did not bear the calluses of labourer, ‘Ah so that’s why they came to me. No doubt to overrule the parental disapproval.’ The stories were almost always the same, skeletons merely rearranged and put together once more in a new order. It was not the stories he wanted but time, to observe and judge what the next appropriate step is.

They were the classic star-crossed lovers, separated by class yet destined to be forever since first sight. He listened to the undulations in their voice adorned with tender affection, and apprehension for the future. Watched for the way their eyes spoke without words, how the minute shift of an eyebrow stood for amusement and a lowering of lids meant the brooding of a past memory tucked away in the deeper crevices of their mind.

The process didn’t take long, it wasn’t a difficult one and Castor liked these the best. This business after all, depended on his ability to make correct judgments as much as it did on blind faith and irrational hope. A belief of a large cosmic order governing the wild chaotic universe, restoring order to lives they fail to control.

What irony, Castor smiled bitterly and began to scratch off the drops of melted wax on the tray. There was a cosmic order alright, though it dished out more chaos than order.

“You’re getting better at it.” He didn’t have to turn to know it was Pollux behind him, he’d know his brother’s low cello voice anywhere. He shrugged, turned and looked at Pollux in the eye, “sorry about earlier, I didn’t mean it that way.”

“I know you’re tense, it’s fine. Is it still on and off?”

Castor nodded, “Yeah, I don’t know why. It worries me, it’s been fine every time we had someone come in but this is a ticking time tomb. What about you?”

“Nothing,” he heaved a heavy sigh and sat down, “the only that comes out is the perspiration on my head. I don’t know what happened to me, brother.” There was note of pleadingness in his voice as he rubbed his temples slowly, “what did I gain? All I felt was the deep excavation of my soul, an essential part robbed and gone.” He lifted up a finger and drew faint, wavering lines in the air, “now all that’s left are the soft tattoos of shadow dreams and what once was.”

“Perhaps, it will return in time.” Castor said, but even he was aware of the uncertainty in his voice.

“No, brother. It will not. It is killing me.” And he smiled with terrible knowledge.

Lightsong wrote a review...

Hey, I'm here to review! Glad you keep this project going! :D

So it's Gemini first, yasssss, my star. c:

But it could not be denied that, the loss of one thing had came at the gain of another.

This might be too nitpicky, but I suggest cutting the comma. The story starts with a slow burn atmosphere, anyway, so adding more to it is unnecessary, especially when I don't think you need the comma in the first place.

He breathed out a sigh of relief, it was still there.

I think a semicolon is more fitted than a comma here.

I'm fascinated with the fantasy element you've just added, by the way. It's colourful and shiny. @o@

Castor permitted himself a small smile at the synchronised speech, he ran a finger down the wax sealed rings and looked up.

This is another instance where I think the comma can be replaced with something else; in this case, either an 'and', or start a new sentence.

They were the classic star-crossed lovers, separated by class yet destined to be forever since first sight.

What a cliche. >.> Put here, it sounds like a mockery of itself, to be honest. xD

Watched for the way their eyes spoke without words, how the minute shift of an eyebrow stood for amusement and a lowering of lids meant the brooding of a past memory tucked away in the deeper crevices of their mind.

Love the way you summarize this couple's talk. There's no context here, but the movements and gestures give us a clear picture of the emotions present.

“...the only that comes out is the perspiration on my head.

Lol, definitely love Pollux here. While Castor seems to be mischievous and cunning, Pollux is funny but in an innocent way. I like the dynamic of their relationship. And Pollux's definitely brooding, what's with the deep excavation in his soul. >.>

Anyway! Sorry for the nitpicks. I feel like they're kind of intentional for you and perhaps this is your writing style? If so, it still bothers me and I need to familiarize with it.

For the story, since it's part one and and short, there's not much to know about it, but what I do know is enough to make me keep reading it. I want to know why they are exiled, the exact nature of Castor's ability, and why Pollux doesn't seem to have it. The ending especially is a killer cliffhanger because now I'm wondering what cost Castor's paying to have the ability.

Castor is definitely the more interesting sibling at the moment because of the mystery surrounding him and how he' has less moral than his brother. Given how he needs to use his ability to support both of them, I can understand him. I'm pretty sure Pollux has his own secrets and surely as we read on, we're going to know more about both of them and the world they live in. I'm wondering if they have done something wrong to be exiled or if the Astrum that exiled them did so because it's evil and they know something, etc.

All in all, this is an interesting start, so I'm looking forward for the next part! Tag me! :D

Apricity says...

Thank you so much for this lovely review, Lightsong! Don't be sorry for the nitpicks, I'm really glad you pointed them out and a lot of your points are valid as well. The star-crossed lover thing is intended as irony (I'm glad you picked up on that tbh). I worried about Castor and Pollux being too similar and they probably are in a way, but I'm really glad that you could still distinguish the two.

Thanks so much again for this review!

Lightsong says...

You're welcome! :D

Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:11 am
neptune wrote a review...

Hey Wisteria! You shared this idea in a thread a while back, and I was immediately interested. So, here I am! I hope this review helps a little.

Because this is a short story, I find it hard to get used to the surroundings and characters. I had an issue comprehending that they were in a cave, and I think that's what my issue was with it not being realistic enough. I don't think you should stress this aspect more in a sense that you don't need to constantly say "we're in a cave" etc. But, I do think more descriptions of the cave will better my experience of the surroundings of Castor and Pollux. I mean, I'm used to a shop being in a concrete building along a street with other shops. This setting is awfully different than what I'm used to, and I think helping the reader familiarize with the cave would help a lot. What does it look like? What about Castor and Pollux? What are they like? I think you had a lot of missed opportunities to expand on the characters and setting. I felt like you were mainly focussed on the plot and not so much the others.

To add on to what I previously said, so much deep stuff came from Pollux and Castor through conversation, and it feels kind of awkward reading such an intense conversation because I haven't really a clue about who these characters are. I have a tiny sense of their personalities but besides that? It was all kind of blown at me, and sometimes it was hard to have sympathy for new characters to me.

I think the main plot 'twist' and overall development was a the end. That's where everything happened. The beginning shop and customer scenes were almost a background experience of their everyday life, but then the end was where their skills came into play. That's where most of your attention was drawn, and I think it could be better set up to that leading moment.

The relationship between the two brothers was very complex and intriguing. I couldn't base it off of much, but a lot definitely occurred between the two that I can judge it from here. From what I've read, they seem pretty close, and they truly want the best for each other. They seem to be looking out for each other. Their relationship looks like it has been grown from lots of hardships, lies, etc. I definitely liked that. I actually feel like I got more out of Castor than Pollux -- it would be interesting to see some of their past, or something of the sort. This short story follows Castor pretty much the entire time, up until the ending, and I think we could hear more from Pollux. But their relationship was well crafted and displayed.

With the improvements mentioned, I still think this short story was amazing. Like I've said in your idea pitch thread -- the concept is pretty interesting, to say the least. I can see your poetic side through this; there were a lot of lines and sentences that were phrased beautifully. It has lots of potential in the future and I can't wait for the rest!

I hope this review helped! It was a little short, but maybe there is still some quality in it! If you have any questions, please let me know! <3

Apricity says...

Hi neptune, thank you so so much for this review. I agree with you on the setting of this story, I don't think I had enough of a solid image in my mind when I wrote this to create a realistically enough picture. The intensity between Castor and Pollux is a bit too much, so in the next part I'm going to try and lessen that a bit. A lot of your other points are really helpful as well and I'll definitely apply them to the next part.

Thanks so much again for reviewing, have a wonderful day c:

LukeStarkiller wrote a review...

I love how lyrical this piece is. A couple of lines stood out to me as being incredibly well-crafted: "A belief of a large cosmic order governing the wild chaotic universe, restoring order to lives they fail to control" and "And he smiled with terrible knowledge" are especially fantastic.

You ask what I think about the setting (at the top). My answer is that there wasn't really enough there for me to judge that, and this is my main problem with the piece. I didn't really get a feel for where I am, though I've gotten to know the characters very well. It's hard to do both at once, but I'd encourage you to try. I get glimpses of the politics of this world, but that's about it. So that's definitely the first edit I would make.

Beyond that, there were a couple of references, "A ticking time bomb" and "get off your high horse" that you should think about. Do they work in the context of this story? Are there time bombs and horses? These are questions only you can answer, and though I love both analogies, you should take a look.

Overall, a very good start to what is bound to be a great short story. And I love the name Pollux, so that's an added bonus.

CainTheDoomed wrote a review...

Lovely description, and detail. It brings out what actually happening and makes me feel like I am experiencing it from where I am. The paragraphs are well spaced out through out it, making it show that you understand how to progress through a story properly. I read through this twice but for some reason I couldn't still understand the Ending. I know it might be clearer for others, but for me it wasn't.

Apricity says...

Thanks Cain c:

“If lightning is the anger of the gods, then the gods are concerned mostly about trees.”
— Lao Tzu